Sunderland

Richard

14 minutes ago, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

I dont believe for a second that sunderland werent informed he was going to plead guilty today. They should be reprimanded in some way for continuing to play him. 

Morally wrong yes, but I'm not sure they have broken any rules so I don't see how or what they can be reprimanded for. 

If this scenario happened in most "normal" jobs I would imagine the person would be suspended until the trial. But Sunderland needed one of their best players out on the pitch. Now he has pleaded guilty Sunderland surely must act. I can't see him playing again for a long time, if ever. Would have been interesting to see what Sunderland would have done if the accused had been a youth team player rather than an integral part of their first team 

2 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Would have been interesting to see what Sunderland would have done if the accused had been a youth team player rather than an integral part of their first team 

Said player would have been sacked the day the story broke, and Sunderland would have been praised for their stance. 

There are no morals where such vast sums of money are concerned. 

25 minutes ago, av1 said:

Said player would have been sacked the day the story broke, and Sunderland would have been praised for their stance. 

100% agree.

4 hours ago, islingtonclaret said:

That Stacey Flouders girl must REALLY want his cash to stay with him now.

Exactly what I thinking! Standing by her man, or standing by her man's salary!

34 minutes ago, av1 said:

You can't sack someone on an unfounded accusation, but they would have been suspended pending the result of the trial

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Depends on how the other two charges go. If he's found not guilty of those then he's looking at a year, suspended.

If they come back with a guilty verdict then he won't be going home afterwards.

He's potentially looking at an 18-month custodial sentence just for what he's admitted already. 

Although of course he may be found guilty of being a celebrity and sentenced to a little light litter-picking instead. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Exactly what I thinking! Standing by her man, or standing by her man's salary!

I know it's easy to pick on her, but she isn't the guilty party here. It's not a simple situation - he's the father of her child. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

You can't sack someone on an unfounded accusation, but they would have been suspended pending the result of the trial

Absolutely, but what he has admitted today is deserving of the sack before the trial even starts. 

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know it's easy to pick on her, but she isn't the guilty party here. It's not a simple situation - he's the father of her child. 

I absolutely agree that she has been placed in a horrible situation and I genuinely feel for her. His arrest came a couple of weeks after the birth of their daughter, so whilst she was carrying a child, he was grooming a child on the Internet. 

If I was her I'd have spent the last 12 months plotting ways to take the horrible little word removed for every penny he has. 

Edited by av1

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Absolutely, but what he has admitted today is deserving of the sack before the trial even starts. 

Agreed, I would have expected Sunderland to have announced it already. Unless they are just doing their legal due diligence first

9 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

What I found problematic about Sunderland’s handling of this wasn't so much that he continued to play, but that he was at one time suspended over this and then his suspension was ended. Did I imagine that?

Exactly. I think any route they had taken could have been justified, but to suspended him only to reverse that decision has cast them in poor light IMO. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

so whilst she was carrying a child, he was grooming a child on the Internet. 

Clearly this is worse, but I remember Rooney getting busted for shagging hookers whilst his wife was pregnant with their second child.

Some footballers really are a special kind of stupid.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I'm not sure about that. People have been wrongly accused of such things before. 

True for certain situations but this one where there was no argument he actually had sex with her just his knowledge of his age in question it was ethically an abolsute disgrace they carried on playing him IMO.

Â