Favourite airlines

Xela

Flying with BA for the first time, direct to Rio in August.

Ping me your ticket numbers once you return as I have a Corporate account and I can claim some AVIOS  :)

( you still get all your avios  but for some reason BA would then give them to me as well  , its a right result when i fly for work as I get 2 lots of avios , rather handy that I manage the corporate account :) )

BA will be getting the

Hair dryer treatment when i get back

I can live with the plane going techie these things happen

But bloody union rules meant that they got us a new plane and had it fuelled and ready to go only for it to transpire that it meant the crew would go over their allotted hours and thus weren't allowed to fly

3 hours we sat on a plane waiting for new crew before somebody pulled the plug and we all had to get off and catch the 17:40 flight having got back to Heathrow at 12:00 having taken off at 11:00

Missed my connecting flight to Iran and have had to pay £300 for a new ticket tomorrow and a hotel for tonight , BA should pay for it all but I bet they don't without a fight

BA will be getting the

But bloody union rules meant that they got us a new plane and had it fuelled and ready to go only for it to transpire that it meant the crew would go over their allotted hours and thus weren't allowed to fly

3 hours we sat on a plane waiting for new crew before somebody pulled the plug and we all had to get off and catch the 17:40 flight having got back to Heathrow at 12:00 having taken off at 11:00

Missed my connecting flight to Iran and have had to pay £300 for a new ticket tomorrow and a hotel for tonight , BA should pay for it all but I bet they don't without a fight

I think waiting on a plane to either take off, or disembark, has got to be one of the most infuriating and painstaking things to go through in the history of civilisation, ever. I thoroughly detest it. (Not one word of that sentence is exaggeration either).

• Like 1

I remember when I was 11 in Pakistan, we went with AirBlue (cheap airline). When departing from Pakistan back to England, the departure time was 2pm there, we ended up departing at 4am the next day. Bloody nightmare. They offered us free food at the airport, though we had to stop every two seconds so thry could check our passports. So infuriating

BA will be getting the

That has nothing whatsoever to do wit union rules as you well know - that is a safety thing that is employed by lots of airlines all over the world

BA just has crap customer care these days, has rapidly gone down since Walsh made it into London Airways

BA will be getting the

That has nothing whatsoever to do wit union rules as you well know - that is a safety thing that is employed by lots of airlines all over the world

BA just has crap customer care these days, has rapidly gone down since Walsh made it into London Airways

Sorry didn't realise you were on the plane , you should have popped down from economy and said hello :)

However for those that were there and spoke to the crew we now that it was down to the union , there is even talk of another unite strike with BA so they played silly buggers

Basically they repaired our plane and then took on more fuel and gave us a 13:50 rescheduled take off slot

Then buses turned up to take us all off the plane as the crew would have exceeded their working hours.... The crew all offered to work over their hours and said they didn't mind ... The buses departed and we started getting ready for take off ... Then some official bloke come on board and had a meeting with the crew , followed by the crew looking unhappy and embarrassed and the buses turning up again to take us all off and back to the terminal... We'd been speaking to the stewardesses the whole time we were on the ground so when we left 2 of them both wished me and my friend luck with our connecting flights to Iran and apologised and said specifically our union won't let us fly even though we all said we were happy to , indeed wanted to ...

If you want their names I'm sure I could provide them for but in the meantime I'm off for a swim

Controversially, I'd actually plump for Easyjet for my overall 'favourite airline'. I find their pricing reasonable, route map extensive, customer service the best and legroom not an issue. They don't bombard you with crap to buy and their planes are always fairly new, plus I've found they are relaxed about their hand luggage. I might be lucky with delays etc. but i've never experienced one with them.

My summarised experiences with other airlines is:-

Qantas - Best A380 plane I've flown on, decent crew and well priced RTW tickets

BA - Never had a terrible flight, found their 747s a bit outdated on the Buenos Aires-LHR and LON-JFK. Though the 777 on Singapore-Sydney was pleasant

American Airlines - Miles behind their rivals IMO. Never had a particularly good flight with them - their 777s were old and tatty and their regional turboprops were even worse. They also cancelled those at a wim due to low loads.

Virgin Atlantic - Highly rate, good customer service, slightly expensive but you're never going to be majorly let down with them

Laos Airlines - Scary

Tiger Airways  - Very good, very cheap budget airline serving south east asia

Nok Air - Good Thai budget airline, friendly staff and meals included despite ryanair fares.

Ryanair - I'm a big advocate of 'you get what you pay for'. I cringe every time i hear people moaning about their 'fees' as if you understand their model, take carry on luggage and treat them as a bus service I think they're pretty damn good. I've never had a delay with them and have flown with them on +20x occasions. Their hard sell and fanfare are a definite low point though.

Gol - Definitely recommend them for south american budget flights. Somewhere between Easyjet and Ryanair

FlyBe - Highly convenient for me, never really had a bad flight, bloody expensive though.

Monarch - Always liked them, crap for legroom but decent service otherwise

First Choice - Again, crap for legroom but do the job, very much a low frills charter.

Air Berlin - Excellent airline, on the expensive side for a budget European service but you get a meal, very pleasant service and generally highly presentable aircraft.

• Like 1

Tony,

Have a clt-fra-lhr-lgw-bcn-clt award trip booked in business. Two legs on ba. Can you get my credit for an award flight? If so let me know!

I will be flying us air a320 biz (old envoy). First time since merger with aa. Flew quite a bit before. Wonder if any differences? Always enjoyed it. And seeing as it was award. Got a $8,000 ticket for $2200. So result.

Flat bed seat. Decent meal and lounge access all over the gaff. Best thing is a longer flight from Bcn to clt to get lashed on!

Tony,

Have a clt-fra-lhr-lgw-bcn-clt award trip booked in business. Two legs on ba. Can you get my credit for an award flight? If so let me know!

I will be flying us air a320 biz (old envoy). First time since merger with aa. Flew quite a bit before. Wonder if any differences? Always enjoyed it. And seeing as it was award. Got a $8,000 ticket for $2200. So result.

Flat bed seat. Decent meal and lounge access all over the gaff. Best thing is a longer flight from Bcn to clt to get lashed on!

Sadly reward flights don't earn points but appreciate you thinking of me ...

I'm in Baku now , just arrived , you know a country has too much money when even the portable walk ways to the planes have thick carpets in them

Off out to explore once I've polished off the welcome snacks and drink ( they went and got me an alcoholic one once they found out i'd come in from Iran :) )

Baku looks an interesting ( and expensive) place ...

Edited by tonyh29

• 2 weeks later...

Not looking at airlines per se but companies for booking round the world trips. Had a flight quote from sta travel but having asked for a slight amendment they have now been pretty poor. Reviews online don't seem good about them either. So has anyone got any experience of these companies and could recommend any?

Think for the amount of flights I need it is a lot of work to do individually.

Flight Centre (think there is a shop in Brum), Trailfinders (used them for an Asian trip - very good) and Travelbag are decent for bespoke flights

Or:

http://www.roundtheworldexperts.co.uk/ - not looked at it properly but seem to be part of Flight Centre

Ye flight centre is near new street station where the trams works are going on. Working in real estate I know all the areas without actually having been to them ever.

Edited by Voinjama

• 1 month later...

Has anyone flown Royal Jordanian? Looking to head over to Indonesia next summer, and their prices are looking very reasonable...

I'm not sure Royal Jordanian fly to Indonesia  .. are you sure it isn't a code share with a One world Partner  or do you mean Royal Brunei  airlines ?  ( I've flown these , their flights are alcohol free but apart from that they are fine)

FWIW ... cheapest options I've seen London to  Jakarta are with Sri Lankan airlines

Lufthansa, KLM, Swiss or Finn for long haul to the Far East?

None! Pick one of the Far Eastern/Middle Eastern airlines instead.

Yep. Can highly recommend Emirates and Cathay. My mate prefers Singapore Airlines - never flown them myself 

Flown long haul to Asia with Air France (rubbish) and KLM (bang average)

I have flown there with Emirates before which was outstanding but the four listed get there a lot quicker and cheaper.

Alternatively I can go direct with BA which will save about 3 hours each way but cost £130 more.

Edited by Wainy316

Â