Favourite airlines

Xela

Yeah I had a look on the weekend. They do have a live sports channel but there was nothing saying they showed the world cup, and I'd have thought they'd advertise that if they did.

I fly Emirates regularly and the sports channel is a bit misleading. They have a sports section within the ICE system, but it's mainly documentaries and classic events.

Within the TV section you'll find comedy, drama, 'quest', sport and music, but nothing live IIRC.

Edited by StanBalaban

Yeah I had a look on the weekend. They do have a live sports channel but there was nothing saying they showed the world cup, and I'd have thought they'd advertise that if they did.

I fly Emirates regularly and the sports channel is a bit misleading. They have a sports section within the ICE system, but it's mainly documentaries and classic events.

Within the TV section you'll find comedy, drama, 'quest', sport and music, but nothing live IIRC.

Do they still take your picture in the bar of the A-380 with a  polaroid camera and then frame it for you or have they stopped doing that now they have about 900 of them in their fleet  ?

Do they still take your picture in the bar of the A-380 with a  polaroid camera and then frame it for you or have they stopped doing that now they have about 900 of them in their fleet  ?

I've never had a photo taken at the bar on the 380  :( .

Most of my routes involve the 777 (inc. flying back to Birmingham), so I've only done 6 or 7 on the 380. Whilst I prefer the full reclining bed, I do with the massage function on the 777. 

I don't think I'm allowed in the bar :(

Where you flying to?

I've never had a photo taken at the bar on the 380  :( .

Most of my routes involve the 777 (inc. flying back to Birmingham), so I've only done 6 or 7 on the 380. Whilst I prefer the full reclining bed, I do with the massage function on the 777. 

i was on SYD to DXB .... they didn't do on the LHR leg and that was also in the 380 so it may have just been down to the crew , but it's in an Emirates frame so wouldn't suggest it was done on a whim  .... 

They even dated it for me 30 Aug 2010 , it was a bloody bouncy flight so maybe they did it so my family would have a last memento of me  :)

• Like 1

Do they still take your picture in the bar of the A-380 with a polaroid camera and then frame it for you or have they stopped doing that now they have about 900 of them in their fleet ?

I've never had a photo taken at the bar on the 380 :( .

Where you flying to?
Bangkok.

Gf claims its first class only

Do they still take your picture in the bar of the A-380 with a polaroid camera and then frame it for you or have they stopped doing that now they have about 900 of them in their fleet ?
I've never had a photo taken at the bar on the 380 :( .

Where you flying to?
Bangkok.

Gf claims its first class only

Aye it is, it's like a exclusive nightclub when you look up to first, complete with rope and rather feminine bouncers.

Is it actually possible to blag first class?

I was going to ask when we check in if there are any seats with extra leg room as my gf has a problem with one of her knees that means it hurts to bend her knee a lot. No big deal but I was going to ask.

Any chance they'd take pity on us and bump us up?

I don't care either way (although it'd obviously be nice) but its just one of those things you hear of happening.

I was going to ask when we check in if there are any seats with extra leg room as my gf has a problem with one of her knees that means it hurts to bend her knee a lot. No big deal but I was going to ask.

I don't care either way (although it'd obviously be nice) but its just one of those things you hear of happening.

The bar is on business A380 only.

We got upgraded to first (for the very first time) from business on the way out to Sao Paulo without asking, but I think that's because the flight was oversold and we're both Skywards gold card holders.

Yeah I'm not expecting it or anything.

Just you hear stories. A girl I know got bumped up to first class when she flew to Bali for no reason.

Although she is fit, so maybe that was it.

Yeah I'm not expecting it or anything.

Just you hear stories. A girl I know got bumped up to first class when she flew to Bali for no reason.

Although she is fit, so maybe that was it.

With 99.9% of male airline staff being gay i doubt it's that :P

When i had my silver card (with BA) I got upgraded pretty much every flight I took , it ran out this year as I flew a few other airlines long haul instead of BA ... So my last 3 BA flights and no upgrades , I'm no longer loved :(

KLM gave me an upgrade coming home from Beijing , I'd never flown them before ( other than the flight out ) so I honestly don't know why , it was even done the day before i flew ( I Internet checked in and saw I was in row 1 ) so it can't even be put down to my rugged good looks and James Bond like charm

It's possible but unlikely. They seem to pick frequent flyers and people travelling on their own. I think everyone I've known to go to Thailand has tried it in and not one has been upgraded yet. Good luck though!

Also worth pointing out that when I was travelling back from Bangkok when I flew with Emirates they didn't have any seats together for us but eventually found some on the very front row. The room on a A380 on that row is crazy so definitely worth trying to get those seats if you can. 

• Like 1

Ask for an upgrade. Always worth a shot. My sister gets upgrades all the time, but she's in the travel industry which helps.

Most likely cause to get upgraded is apparently when they oversell economy seats - I twice got upgraded to business class with Air NZ for this reason. I was late both times, but cos of the oversold seats resulted in upgrades and financial compensation  :D

That's all we're planning on asking for. We're not going to ask for first class, that would be really cheeky.

you'll be lucky to get those ,  Emirates let you pick your seat online way way in advance and they usually go very quickly

best bet is to have a look on Seatguru and see if you can find any hidden gems 

(i.e the row behind the exit row  ( the exit row is only 2 seats) ,  so if you get the window seat behind it , you wont have anyone sitting in front of you and thus you get tonnes of leg room and nobody putting their reclining seat in your face

Edited by tonyh29

Â