Favourite airlines

Xela

Just finishing up in the concorde room at heathrow, has some mixed reviews, but any place that gives me free johhnie walker blue for 3 hours is ok in my book.

Would tell you about ba first class trip from jfk-lhr but I can't remember getting on the plane after to much champers. This time I'm. Pacing myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I realise this is a complete reversal of the subject, but I thought my recent flights to and from the States recently were atrocious.

They were with BA, in cattle class. Simply too cramped to enjoy. It was more a case of having to endure the flights.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm flying with Thomson in June.

On the 787-Dreamliner. Sounds fancy... is it?

Dreamliners were the ones that kept catching fire .. but on the bright side , haven't crashed and killed anyone yet  ....

I jest  of course , they had a few minor issues with them but nothing serious  ... I've flown a couple of them  .... tbh I'd imagine 99% of passengers wont even notice the difference  .. I don't' actually like them , they've built the seats in a funny way that the chair  "legs" sort of get in your way when you put your legs under the seat in front (Flew Qatar and BA versions and both had this)     ... but the electronic blinds , lighting to help prevent jet lag , new entertainment systems , and cleaner air in theory make it a better overall flight experience  ....

• Like 1

Dreamliners were the ones that kept catching fire .. but on the bright side , haven't crashed and killed anyone yet  ....

the trolly service it top notch tho :D

I jest  of course , they had a few minor issues with them but nothing serious  ... I've flown a couple of them  .... tbh I'd imagine 99% of passengers wont even notice the difference  .. I don't' actually like them , they've built the seats in a funny way that the chair  "legs" sort of get in your way when you put your legs under the seat in front (Flew Qatar and BA versions and both had this)     ... but the electronic blinds , lighting to help prevent jet lag , new entertainment systems , and cleaner air in theory make it a better overall flight experience  ....

Reassuring... sort of :D

Given my unexpected bonus from work and student loan refund I've paid my holiday without even thinking about it.

As a result, I'm considering upgrading us to Premium Economy (or "premium club" as Thomson call it)

Anyone ever done that? Any idea of how much it cost?

Their website says "from" £149 per person. Which I'd be up for. but I'm guessing that £149 is on one flight a year to Siberia or something and in reality my flight to Cancun will be loads more.

Quite fancy doing it if it's reasonable. Unsure if it's worth the money though. Don't want to do it for the sake of it when I could spend the money while we're there instead

Edit: it's £239 per person. But that includes both flights.

Tempted by that!

Edited by Stevo985

Reassuring... sort of :D

Given my unexpected bonus from work and student loan refund I've paid my holiday without even thinking about it.

As a result, I'm considering upgrading us to Premium Economy (or "premium club" as Thomson call it)

Anyone ever done that? Any idea of how much it cost?

Their website says "from" £149 per person. Which I'd be up for. but I'm guessing that £149 is on one flight a year to Siberia or something and in reality my flight to Cancun will be loads more.

Quite fancy doing it if it's reasonable. Unsure if it's worth the money though. Don't want to do it for the sake of it when I could spend the money while we're there instead

Edit: it's £239 per person. But that includes both flights.

Tempted by that!

never flown Thompson but Premium Economy will be more leg room ( not full on reclining flat bed though 38" pitch  and a slightly wider seat most likely) and probably better food and access to a tuck shop on the flight  ..

you should also avoid having anyone reclining their seat into your face the whole flight , it will still recline but you have a bit more space to move in  ..

I'd pay it ... but with 2 of you that's close on £500 and you could argue it's better served towards your next holiday

seatguru will show you the plane layout here  ... if you can prebook the seats you want then even better

Think we might just pay to select a seat with extra leg room in econoomy.

It would be nice, but as you say it's nearly £500. I think I'd rather spend that while I'm on the holiday.

Thanks anyway, I'll mull it over

I've gone in Premium with Thomson, and on balance it was probably just about worth the cash. You can select your seats, the seats have a much bigger pitch, free drinks (I drank champagne pretty much the whole way to the Caribbean and was a little tipsy when we landed...), better quality food, fewer passengers, quieter loos etc etc.

But to be honest, whilst I think it makes the flight much more enjoyable, you're still in a metal tube with strangers for 10 hours which is never going to be that much fun.

• Like 1

The free drinks would be a big selling point, but the rest of Economy also get free drinks now on the Dreamliner.

Although obviously the service would be a lot quicker in Premium.

We've paid for just some extra leg room seats now instead of Premium. I might still get a rush of blood and go for it, but for now I think i've restrained myself!

• 4 months later...

It was ok.

I found the seats to be quite narrow. On the way there we had nobody in the third seat of our little section so I didn't notice. But on the way back I had a bloke next to me and we felt really close the whole time. I was forever banging elbows with him, and both of us trying to eat at once was really awkward.

The extra leg room we paid for was very nice though.

Food on the plane was ok, but felt shit after flying Emirates last year, which was fantastic.

My main gripe was the in flights entertainment. I assume that's the airline (Thomson) and not the aircraft, but it was shit. The selection was fine. Good films, decent TV shows and documentaries in there. 

But it was all like watching pirated copies of everything. Low quality, fuzzy picture and absolutely awful sound. I don't mean "oh this sound is a bit crap". I mean I literally couldn't make out what was being said in films half the time. 

Naturally I asked for new headphones, but it was the same. Tried the empty seat next to me, same. Tried my own headphones, same. She who shall not be named had the same problem. Same on the inbound journey.

I was really surprised by that.

So anyway, impressed by the aircraft, apart from maybe the size of the seats. Not very impressed by Thomson, whose cabin crew staff were pretty unfriendly as well.

Edited by Stevo985

Garuda Indonesia in a few weeks. On the black list for safety a few years ago, now has "Best Cabin Crew" in SkyTrax awards. Ergo, if plane is going down, i'm going to be doing it with a cold beer in my hand, provided with a smile.

Anyone flown with these?

I've been doing a lot of short haul hopping these last few months, and I have to say, Ryanair are brilliant. I never paid more than £40 return to Lodz/East Midlands and the service is friendly enough. Flew WizzAir last time and I was so cramped. Paid more too!

Virgin have been great every time I've flown with them.

Garuda Indonesia in a few weeks. On the black list for safety a few years ago, now has "Best Cabin Crew" in SkyTrax awards. Ergo, if plane is going down, i'm going to be doing it with a cold beer in my hand, provided with a smile.

Anyone flown with these?

I have

can't say I remember anything remarkable about it ..but maybe that's a good thing , as by and large with airlines you only remember the bad things  ... hence why I don't fly virgin

interesting that this review website doesn't back up the SkyTrax view , reviews are current as well

I've been doing a lot of short haul hopping these last few months, and I have to say, Ryanair are brilliant. I never paid more than £40 return to Lodz/East Midlands and the service is friendly enough. Flew WizzAir last time and I was so cramped. Paid more too!

Virgin have been great every time I've flown with them.

Wizz air have nicer uniforms for the trolley dollies though .. worth the premium :)

Ryanair are on my boycott list .. they cancelled a flight of mine one year a week before it was due to depart , said Boeing had failed to deliver the plane on time !!

I had to rebook with another airline (we were going to my In-laws for Easter so had to go at that time and it cost me an extra £500 for the whole family with the huge premiums and late notice )  and also lost out on the pre-booking airport parking and hotel I'd paid for at Luton .. the new flight went from Heathrow 

I wrote to Ryan air and explained and they said not our problem you can have your money back for the flight and nothing else ... now I didn't seriously expect them to stump up the £500 but I figured for the inconvenience they'd caused that they would have made some form of goodwill gesture ... When I complained to BA the other year about them causing me to miss a connection they gave me and my mate 30,000 avios and £400 each ... it's kinda what I'd expect an airline with good customer service to do

Â