Favourite airlines

Xela

A 777 is a 777, whichever model that you fly on. The only physical difference is a fuselage stretch between the series 200 and series 300. The 77W is the long range version of the stretch model.

On topic I flew Business First with AC on these last year, YYZ-GRU-YYZ and both legs were excellent.

A 777 is a 777, whichever model that you fly on. The only physical difference is a fuselage stretch between the series 200 and series 300. The 77W is the long range version of the stretch model.

Bin Dunne :P

Cheers!

Sounds good, whatever it is it's certainly better than traveling in the back for me!

you've changed Dom :-)

Mate i got a free buddy pass on us airways envoy suite 2 years ago, and have only flown TATL coach once after that, and i did 10 odd trips. Its my one treat! ive been hoarding miles for 2 years to do the xmas trip and just now booked my first class in AA on the 77w to lhr and back in us airways envoy suite in Feb, so im buzzing. Also being 235 lbs and squeezed in economy sucks!!

• Like 1

Cheers!

Sounds good, whatever it is it's certainly better than traveling in the back for me!

Mate i got a free buddy pass on us airways envoy suite 2 years ago, and have only flown TATL coach once after that, and i did 10 odd trips. Its my one treat! ive been hoarding miles for 2 years to do the xmas trip and just now booked my first class in AA on the 77w to lhr and back in us airways envoy suite in Feb, so im buzzing. Also being 235 lbs and squeezed in economy sucks!!

Do you get American citizenship when you reach 300lb ?

Cheers!

Mate i got a free buddy pass on us airways envoy suite 2 years ago, and have only flown TATL coach once after that, and i did 10 odd trips. Its my one treat! ive been hoarding miles for 2 years to do the xmas trip and just now booked my first class in AA on the 77w to lhr and back in us airways envoy suite in Feb, so im buzzing. Also being 235 lbs and squeezed in economy sucks!!

Do you get American citizenship when you reach 300lb ?

hahaha!

nope i got to wait till august 2015

• 1 month later...

You still can't beat a RB211-524 BA 744 sound. 

I prefer the RB211-535E4 personally.

On-topic: I've booked Ryanair for a cheapo flight over to Majorca from Manchester. Are they really as bad as the reviews say? Has anyone ever had a good experience? I just thought that for 2 hours in the air I don't need anything fantastic.

So, currently over here. The Ryanair flight was fine. Legroom on the 737-800 was surprisingly generous. _Very_ fast landing, not sure if we were landing with a tailwind. Suppose it's bread and butter for airline pilots though. Also smoothest flight I've ever been on, hardly a bump the whole way. Now I remember why I like flying in summer. Main thing about the flight was it felt like I would be driving if I had 0 miles showing on the range.

Been left distinctly un-impressed with Emirates.

During our last trip with them they made several cock ups:

Lost an item of our luggage.

Re-arranged one of our flights at short notice.

Failed to book us into a hotel because of said re-arrangement.

There was also a host of minor things to do with the airport staff (working for Emirates).

I have nothing but good things to say about their flights once you get on the plane, but I shall think twice before booking with them again.

Speaking of Emirates, here's a question.

I'm in the air on an Emirates flight during one of the World Cup Semi Finals. Will they show it on the plane? Is that even possible? (I'm guessing it is)

I would assume that, as they're an official sponsor, that they would. But I don't know (and yes, I've googled it)

I'm in the air on an Emirates flight during one of the World Cup Semi Finals. Will they show it on the plane? Is that even possible? (I'm guessing it is)

I would assume that, as they're an official sponsor, that they would. But I don't know (and yes, I've googled it)

I've not been on a plane before that has had live TV .. best I got from Emirates was a live tool-bar update of the Villa v Everton Score on a flight one time ...

BA will usually get you score updates from the Cpt if you ask the trolley dolly  providing you ask them nicely  ...

some planes offer on-board wi-fi (at a cost) so you could possibly use your own device and watch the game that way  .. I used catchyp TV app but I'm thinking nit's UK only so you'd probably need a a proxy to get it to work

My last Emirates flight (OK last but one) on an A380 had a Wifi option, so that would definitely be the way forward. Otherwise, as Tony says, I have no experience of Live TV on Emirates flights.

Some googling seems to indicate that they did show the 2010 world cup games, but not live. A few hours after they happened.

So I'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Wifi should solve my problem though.

• 5 weeks later...

Arrived home in Dubai yesterday from a bit of a whirlwind tour. Flew direct from Dubai to Sao Paulo (GRU) on an Emirates 777, which is about 15 hours. Fortunately my mate and I got upgraded to first as we're both Skywards Gold class members and the flight was fully booked. Have to say the service was impeccable, but not something I could see myself paying for above business class.

Flew American Airlines (777 / 77W) for the first time in years from GRU to Dallas Fort Worth, Texas and was pretty impressed. The new outer livery may be a bit garish, but the interior of the new business cabin was excellent.

American_Airlines_Boeing_777-300ER_New_L

Unlike the Emirates 777, the cabin layout is a 1 - 2 - 1 with a full reclining bed. Food was okay but not great, and the in flight entertainment system was modern, if not as comprehensive as the Emirates one.

Short flight from Fort Worth (huge airport btw) to Las Vegas on a US Airways 757, which was a real blast from the past. 5 roof-mounted CRT screen covered the entertainment for the 2 hour 40 flight on a pretty well-worn plane, but was no more or less than expected.

Las Vegas to LAX was on a Delta Canadair Regional Jet 700 - such a short flight.

Back home from LAX - DXB direct on the Emirates A380 - another 15 hour flight but smooth as you like. The A380 also has the full beds and the walk-in bar so arrived back in decent shape. Fed  3 times and got some sleep, so not feeling jet-lagged at all today (which is a relief).

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by American Airlines, which was streets ahead from my last experience on BA, but still a little way to go before they meet Emirates or Etihad. Interestingly, their loyalty program is partnered with Etihad, so I'll be claiming those miles to put towards an upgrade on my next Etihad flight. 

I was on my way back from Cape Town with Emirates having been to the World Cup in 2010.  As someone else has said, they were showing games but not live.  Whether they will now though I'm not sure.

They have wifi on board but it's barely strong enough to load Facebook on an iPad.

I was on my way back from Cape Town with Emirates having been to the World Cup in 2010.  As someone else has said, they were showing games but not live.  Whether they will now though I'm not sure.

They have wifi on board but it's barely strong enough to load Facebook on an iPad.

The flight back from Los Angeles to Dubai wasn't showing any world cup matches live, despite being having the world cup livery on the outside.

This is the actual jet taken before boarding at LAX.

IMG_20140626_164610.jpg

Yeah I had a look on the weekend. They do have a live sports channel but there was nothing saying they showed the world cup, and I'd have thought they'd advertise that if they did.

Â