The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

For you consideration as a recognisable style…

spacer.png

Bass playes !! Now I would find it EVEN harder to distinguish  bass playres ! Possible exceptions : Victor Wooten and probably Chuck Rainey ; eg On "Forget-me-not - Patrice Rushen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, veloman said:

Bass playes !! Now I would find it EVEN harder to distinguish  bass playres ! Possible exceptions : Victor Wooten and probably Chuck Rainey ; eg On "Forget-me-not - Patrice Rushen.

Bass players are the thinking man’s guitarists.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, veloman said:

Peter Hook,  very distinctive

1 hour ago, veloman said:

John Entwistle. Jaco Pastorius. 

Edited by mjmooney

John Deacons bass was always extremely distinctive, there are the few popular bass lines (under pressure, another one bites the dust etc) but when you hear things like millionaire waltz it couldn't be anyone other than Deaky.

Jack Bruce as well but that goes without saying.

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Bass players are the thinking man’s guitarists.

Just my opinion but I found it "interesting" the number of guitarists who thought they could play bass; up to the standard of their 6 string playing.Most players would know that , especially these days, it's not what you play (on bass ) but what you leave out . (from a drummers perspective anyway !)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, veloman said:

Just my opinion but I found it "interesting" the number of guitarists who thought they could play bass; up to the standard of their 6 string playing.Most players would know that , especially these days, it's not what you play (on bass ) but what you leave out . (from a drummers perspective anyway !)

There’s a clip of Bootsy Collins explaining ‘the one’ in funk bass, and lots of it is about leaving the gaps and not playing everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

I was at a mate's gig last night. He's a really excellent guitarist, and plays folk/rock, with different lineups - sometimes a full band, sometimes an acoustic duo with just his fiddle player. Last night was the duo - but (as an experiment) augmented by the bloke who normally plays lead guitar in the full band, in this case playing electric bass (a short scale Warwick, bass fans). And it was fantastic. Rock solid basslines, but still in an incredibly melodic style, counterpointing the vocal and violin melodies. And apparently, he'd learned the songs (remotely, via recordings) only four days before the gig - no live rehearsals. Very, very impressive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s a clip of Bootsy Collins explaining ‘the one’ in funk bass, and lots of it is about leaving the gaps and not playing everything.

Indeed ! May have developed that playing with James Brown - not sure. But Larry Graham also had a lot to say about that ! Saw Bootsy Collins at The Odean in Brum; think he was on with RAYDIO (Ray Parker Jnr). Have to say it was the loudest bass I have ever heard ; but then I've never seen Motorhead !!!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, veloman said:

Have to say it was the loudest bass I have ever heard ; but then I've never seen Motorhead !!!

I have to say that honour goes to Jack Bruce in my case. 

My loudest may be more down to venue than band.

Down the murky end of Cardiff Bay when it was 90% wasteland there was a place called The New Ocean Club. Properly situated out in the foggy middle of nowhere like some Dickensian venue, the nearest neighbours would be tethered travellers’ horses.

Anyhoo, the three loudest gigs I’ve ever attended, gigs that had sound punching my chest and left me temporarily deaf, were all in that club.

Dr Feelgood

Nine Below Zero

Big Sound Authority

Big Sound Authority were an ok power pop band, nothing particularly special about them whatsoever. So for them to be top 3 loud, it’s completely and utterly down to the venue and its location with no neighbours. Right?

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

If you've never seen Swans, you have no concept of what loud really is

I have seen them (yep they're indeed loud) however, High on Fire at the Academy 2 in Brum a few years ago managed to turn everything up to 11 and remain my gig volume kings. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Loudest BAND for me was (slightly surprisingly) Cheap Trick. By some distance, too. (And I've stood on stage with The Who). 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I have to say that honour goes to Jack Bruce in my case. 

Was lucky enough to see the great JB with both Graham Bond and Cream. He was loud , particularly with Cream, but nothing like Bootsy and I have spent a good part of my life sitting in front of 200watt (modest by todays standards) Marshalls . Oh , and one Peavy with a Black Widow. Bruce was a master wasn't he  and before the days of "slapping".

59 minutes ago, veloman said:

Was lucky enough to see the great JB with both Graham Bond and Cream. He was loud , particularly with Cream, but nothing like Bootsy

This was with West, Bruce and Laing. 

The bass was shaking the whole room, I could feel it travelling up through the floor and vibrating my ribs. 

• Like 1

Â