The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Excellent. PDP are made (I think) by the same comapany that make DW drums but are a cheaper version - still nice though. However IMO only) you can fiddle with drums , better heads, tuning etc, and make them sound ace; particularly if you are are good player as he obviously is. Personally, I don't think you can do the same with cymbals so he has probably got Zildjian, Sabian or Paiste. NB Ginger Baker had been a lifelong user of Ludwig AFAIK - at least every time I saw him he had and that goes back to 1965 - but he went to DW too.

• Like 1

My stupid friends and I used to ridicule these guys like crazy in the 1980s, but when I look at this live performance, it's obvious that all the players are actually playing their instruments live, there are no tape loops or backing tracks, etc., they actually sing in harmony and they're pretty damn tight. Gotta love the sound of those late 70s analog synthesizers. Very little complications in the way of audio production. Could it be that the routine artificiality of so much contemporary music has managed to make Styx look endearingly authentic and somehow no longer overblown and pretentious? Tommy Shaw very young here.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

My stupid friends and I used to ridicule these guys like crazy in the 1980s, but when I look at this live performance, it's obvious that all the players are actually playing their instruments live, there are no tape loops or backing tracks, etc., they actually sing in harmony and they're pretty damn tight. Gotta love the sound of those late 70s analog synthesizers. Very little complications in the way of audio production. Could it be that the routine artificiality of so much contemporary music has managed to make Styx look endearingly authentic and somehow no longer overblown and pretentious? Tommy Shaw very young here.

Ay up !! Another Rickenbacker bass player ! our band used to play "Babe " at the end of the night - great number I thought. Other wise , in my humble opinion, your comments are spot on !!! (But don't forget , I am really old :) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Suddenly fascinated by these Marauder weirdos ... a bolt-on Gibson. I find today's Gibsons so incredibly boring. They just keep getting narrower and narrower in their self-image.

As I've posted on here before, I have a Gibson Sonex-180 Custom, bought new in 1980. 

Screenshot_2024-02-20-17-25-48-13_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As I've posted on here before, I have a Gibson Sonex-180 Custom, bought new in 1980. 

Screenshot_2024-02-20-17-25-48-13_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Doesn't it seem like the Marauder in some ways was a predecessor? And is that an Ebony fretboard on an otherwise composite guitar?

I thought after the filing for bankruptcy, Gibson would again with some more creative ideas, but they seem to have instead clung to their heritage, and their innovations all seem super incremental and almost invisible. I've played some of the new Gibson's, and they are truly amazing instruments in my opinion, but they're also just very predictable. A friend of mine spent something like $6000 USD on the custom shop ES-335. But I'd be afraid to touch such a guitar, and I certainly wouldn't want to take it out to bars/pubs.

22 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Doesn't it seem like the Marauder in some ways was a predecessor? And is that an Ebony fretboard on an otherwise composite guitar?

Yes. And yes. 

My guitar tech loves it: 

Screenshot_2024-02-20-18-26-02-25_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes. And yes. 

My guitar tech loves it: 

Screenshot_2024-02-20-18-26-02-25_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Wow! It's such an interesting mix of innovative tech and high end tradition. I especially love that late-70s branding script -- that is SO late 70s! The Gibson Guitar Company. I remember that whole era so well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Everyone talking about Gibsons, Next year is my 40th birthday and it'll come just after my annual bonus, I'm hoping to have enough tucked away that I'll be able to buy a 50's gold top Les Paul, it'll come to around £2.5k, that'll be my once in a lifetime purchase on a guitar

I tell you what, Gibsons have never really been my thing, but I do love a goldtop LP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

I tell you what, Gibsons have never really been my thing, but I do love a goldtop LP.

I bought my Fender Telecaster about 2 years ago and it was my go to guitar for the electric but I've found myself lately playing my Epi Les Paul more and more, the Tele is better for the softer stuff but for a real blues crunch I prefer the LP

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I bought my Fender Telecaster about 2 years ago and it was my go to guitar for the electric but I've found myself lately playing my Epi Les Paul more and more, the Tele is better for the softer stuff but for a real blues crunch I prefer the LP

Does the Epi Paul have that crazy Gibson sustain? 

7 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Well, yes. Humbuckers vs single coil. 

One of my biggest regrets is selling my Gibson SG and Les Paul when I packed in playing live many years ago.

The money was nice (and needed) at the time but they were both so lovely to play 😐

• Sad 1

I have an Ibanez AZ2402 Prestige (made in Japan), which is by far my "best" and most expensive guitar. Phenomenally put together, plays great and sounds amazing. But I got a '68 Reissue Strat (also made in Japan) back in my Uni days for a fraction of the price and it's still by far the nicest playing guitar that I own.

Basically, Japanese guitars are brilliant.

Edited by JoshVilla
Typo
  • Like 1

I've finally come to the conclusion that - apart from looks, which are paramount :) - the single most important factor in a guitar for me is the neck and frets. I can't get on with the current trend for jumbo frets, as I have a quite heavy handed style, and press down hard on the fretboard. With high frets, that will sharpen notes very noticeably. For that reason, I find I'm preferring my low-fretted Telecaster and Epiphone LP much more than the relatively big frets on the Sonex and Gretsch. I also prefer a flatter fretboard radius to the pronounced curvature used on some necks. 

Those two factors will be top of the checklist if (OK, when) I buy my next guitar. I'm less bothered about pickups, as you can do so much to change sounds with pedals and amps/amp sims anyway. 

EDIT: Oh, and having tried them, I've decided that whammy bars (Bigsbys, anyway) are more trouble than they're worth. 

Edited by mjmooney

FWIW, my 2019 album November Tango is now available on Spotify and most major streaming platforms. 

distrokid_promocard_November_Tango.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anybody else here get guitar brain? I have a kind of guitar on my mind and I absolutely can’t get it out of my head. 😂 Currently feeling like I need to buy a 12-string electric guitar. The obsession is really messing with me. 🤪 

My current obsession 

57 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Currently feeling like I need to buy a 12-string electric guitar. The obsession is really messing with me. 🤪 

Wouldn't be without my Danelectro 12. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Â