The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

For me, an amp just doesn't give the same sexy frisson as a guitar. Partly because I hardly ever use one - 95% of my playing is through an amp sim, DI'd into the DAW. 

But I don't have a Strat... 

Late birthday present from four year old granddaughter Mia. You've heard of cigar box guitars, here's a cereal box guitar. Love it! 

IMG20240202173813.jpg

• Like 3

On 25/01/2024 at 06:36, veloman said:

Which musician can you  spot on a record because of their unique style or sound ? Not vocalists obviously . For instance ; could you spot the differnce between the styles of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton , Jeff Beck etc. The only guitarists I might guess would be Wes Montgomery 'cos, AFAIK,  he played with his thumb and possibly Larry Carlton. Drummers ; one stands out , which is Steve Gadd, possibly because of his incredible "chops" or the unique sound of his Yamaha drums.

David Gilmour, Richard Thompson, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Bobby Timmons, Charlie Parker, John Mayall, to name a few.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Late birthday present from four year old granddaughter Mia. You've heard of cigar box guitars, here's a cereal box guitar. Love it! 

IMG20240202173813.jpg

what brand of strings are you using on that and what does it sound like plugged in?

10 hours ago, il_serpente said:

David Gilmour, Richard Thompson, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Bobby Timmons, Charlie Parker, John Mayall, to name a few.

And how did I forget Neil Young? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

what brand of strings are you using on that and what does it sound like plugged in?

Actually, I'm thinking of modding it slightly - the 'strings' are a bit slack, and I reckon with some better tensioned rubber bands I might be able to get a tune out of it. 

On 25/01/2024 at 14:36, veloman said:

Which musician can you  spot on a record because of their unique style or sound ? Not vocalists obviously . For instance ; could you spot the differnce between the styles of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton , Jeff Beck etc. The only guitarists I might guess would be Wes Montgomery 'cos, AFAIK,  he played with his thumb and possibly Larry Carlton. Drummers ; one stands out , which is Steve Gadd, possibly because of his incredible "chops" or the unique sound of his Yamaha drums.

Going back to this, I'll add Will Sergeant, I can spot Will playing a mile off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Going back to this, I'll add Will Sergeant, I can spot Will playing a mile off

Didn't know him but found him  - some player !! Did it say he played on the music to Donnie Darko? That film had a Steely Dan connection IIRC.

30 minutes ago, veloman said:

Didn't know him but found him  - some player !! Did it say he played on the music to Donnie Darko? That film had a Steely Dan connection IIRC.

Yeah the Bunnymen song The Killing Moon is used in the soundtrack, in completely different places and scenes depending on if you are watching the theatrical release or the directors cut

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. If it's got more phasers than an episode of Star Trek and more delays than South West Trains, it's an Omar riff.

• Haha 1

Guitar wise I'd probably claim Tom Morello, Clapton, Gilmour, Knopfler, Nuno Bettencourt and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

On 02/02/2024 at 17:46, mjmooney said:

IMG20240202173813.jpg

I’m thinking of getting into recording some low effort ‘Lo Fi’ versions of my songs. I reckon this would record them perfectly 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Oh another very distinctive guitarist is Vini Reilly, I'd know him anywhere too

The Mike Oldfield of the post-punk generation. 

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I’m thinking of getting into recording some low effort ‘Lo Fi’ versions of my songs. I reckon this would record them perfectly 

You should check out Pascale Comelade, he plays toy instruments and has done for decades. Collaborated with an awful lot of people with very diverse musical styles

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Mike Oldfield of the post-punk generation. 

Not sure I understand the reference

I obviously know who Mike Oldfield is but its the comparison I don't understand (through lack of knowledge on Oldfield mainly)

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not sure I understand the reference

I obviously know who Mike Oldfield is but its the comparison I don't understand (through lack of knowledge on Oldfield mainly)

Probably a bad comparison, but I remember being slightly surprised at the fact that an electric guitarist that played instrumentals cropped up at that point in musical history. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Probably a bad comparison, but I remember being slightly surprised at the fact that an electric guitarist that played instrumentals cropped up at that point in musical history. 

Paul Hardcastle might be a more appropriate comparison 

Also Reilly wasn’t really an instrumentalist in that sense, the reason he did a lot of them was because his benefactor, Tony Wilson, who loved his guitar playing, hated his voice :D 

• Like 1

Â