The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

2 hours ago, Xann said:

The mindset is subtly different between studio recording and recording to loop.

A loop encourages precision. If you cock up a pass? You have to start everything again. This is frustrating, but the reset is instantaneous, and reconstruction to get to the same point is quick and straightforward. Then you're getting the practice that makes perfect on the first attempt.

Also looping is continuously rolling, it's more go than stop. I think that refines the internal clock somewhat? Keeping good time becomes less of a conscious effort.

You're probably right. I've never got the hang of loopers myself, so I'm reluctant to try and advise a beginner. 

I''d love to get an amp that I can use a looper on, I've only got a spark and a Katana mini though and it sounds pretty terrible through both of them, I've got a real cheap one that work "ok" with the katana but it still isn't brilliant

On 18/12/2023 at 18:34, T-Dog said:

Anyone make electronic music? I've been Djing for 25 years and dabbled in Ableton but I'm no musician, not even close - but I get a wonderful buzz watching people create new tunes and remixes.

Yup I do. I release different styles of electronic music under the moniker Gaspar Poet. Do some psytrance as well as Svärmen. 

How about you?

On 26/12/2023 at 17:02, mjmooney said:

That's as much of a studio as my spare bedroom! 

studio.jpg

Damn. My "studio" is my laptop and a pair of headphones.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Damn. My "studio" is my laptop and a pair of headphones.

Well I guess for electronica that's all you need. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well I guess for electronica that's all you need. 

It is, but I would love a studio in the future. I play guitar too you know ;)

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've got a mate who took up guitar during lockdown, and he's been popping round to do some recording in my little home studio. Unfortunately, his ambition exceeds his ability. Now that's normal for all of us, but hearing his efforts played back is disheartening him. I've suddenly become aware of the dilemma of being a record producer. To what extent do I attempt to get him to change his style to something simpler? He's playing acoustic blues, but trying rather intricate fingerpicking. And it's all over the place - fluffed notes, bad timing, etc. My instinct is to tell him to drop that and stick to basic strumming, but he seems hellbent on sticking with his chosen approach. If he's ever going to master it, it'll need a LOT more practice, and a weekly recording session in my studio is not the ideal venue for that. I've suggested he get a little 4 track portastudio for home practice (I think he needs to repeatedly face the painful playbacks while working on the errors). 

Anybody else had experience of recording other people? 

I always found that, with anything that's quite technically demanding - start off at a tempo that you can play quite comfortably, and then each day add just 1 or 2 BPM to the metronome. Then keep going until you actually go slightly faster than the tempo of whatever it is you want to play, then bring it back again. Such small increments each day are hardly noticeable until you go back and realise how far you've actually come.

Might not help in the short term with the recording, but is sound advice long term if he's adamant that he wants to play more intricate stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoshVilla said:

I always found that, with anything that's quite technically demanding - start off at a tempo that you can play quite comfortably, and then each day add just 1 or 2 BPM to the metronome. Then keep going until you actually go slightly faster than the tempo of whatever it is you want to play, then bring it back again. Such small increments each day are hardly noticeable until you go back and realise how far you've actually come.

Might not help in the short term with the recording, but is sound advice long term if he's adamant that he wants to play more intricate stuff.

Yup, I've been in a similar situation with a bandmate. I told him the same tips, start slow and repeat, repeat, repeat.

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I thought of a music joke today but so far failed to land. 

Q: What's another name for the Star Trek cadence

A: A Picardy third. 

Bwahahahhh!

A major chord of the tonic at the end of a musical section that is either modal or in a minor key,  achieved by raising the third of the expected minor triad by a semitone to create a major triad, as a form of resolution? 

We'll let you know...  

• Thanks 1

Which musician can you  spot on a record because of their unique style or sound ? Not vocalists obviously . For instance ; could you spot the differnce between the styles of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton , Jeff Beck etc. The only guitarists I might guess would be Wes Montgomery 'cos, AFAIK,  he played with his thumb and possibly Larry Carlton. Drummers ; one stands out , which is Steve Gadd, possibly because of his incredible "chops" or the unique sound of his Yamaha drums.

2 minutes ago, veloman said:

Which musician can you  spot on a record because of their unique style or sound ? Not vocalists obviously . For instance ; could you spot the differnce between the styles of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton , Jeff Beck etc. The only guitarists I might guess would be Wes Montgomery 'cos, AFAIK,  he played with his thumb and possibly Larry Carlton. Drummers ; one stands out , which is Steve Gadd, possibly because of his incredible "chops" or the unique sound of his Yamaha drums.

Paul Franklin for me, I hear him and usually love what I hear. He has his own style, not going to say unique, but I listen to what he does and love it.

9 minutes ago, veloman said:

Quite a lot of guitarists - J J Cale, Mac Gayden, Clarence White, David Lindley, Roy Buchanan, Jerry Douglas (dobro), Mark Knopfler, Robbie Robertson, Albert Lee, Roger McGuinn (12 string), George Harrison. 

Harmonica - Stevie Wonder 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, veloman said:

Listen to The Yardbirds and you can easily tell who is playing whether its Jimmy Page, Clapton or Jeff Beck.

I'm pretty sure that there is a Yardbird song that Page plays pretty much the same opening bars of the solo as he does on Dazed and Confused.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Quite a lot of guitarists - J J Cale, Mac Gayden, Clarence White, David Lindley, Roy Buchanan, Jerry Douglas (dobro), Mark Knopfler, Robbie Robertson, Albert Lee, Roger McGuinn (12 string), George Harrison. 

Harmonica - Stevie Wonder 

Christ , you've dug some good ones up there. Mac Gayden  - Morning Glory ; Roy Buchanan - Sweet Dreams. Yep, to a certain extemt , Mark Knopfler, but possibly 'cos didn't he have a fairly distinguishable Fender sound ?

• Like 1

I'm seriously considering upgrading my amp to a Fender GTX50, mainly because of the Effects Loop that it has, only thing is that it is between £350 and £400 and I don't know if I can really justify it.

I currently have a Spark Amp and a Katana Mini (which I absolutely love, I'd highly recommend that for anyone who wants to just noodle about while sitting on the sofa) I don't know how much additional joy I'll get out of a new amp aside from the pedal option.

Also, its my 40th birthday next year, I'm seriously considering flogging my Epi Les Paul and getting an actual Gibson LP for around £2000, I'm kind of hoping its just a passing thought but I can see me being stupid enough to go through with it.

43 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Also, its my 40th birthday next year, I'm seriously considering flogging my Epi Les Paul and getting an actual Gibson LP for around £2000, I'm kind of hoping its just a passing thought but I can see me being stupid enough to go through with it.

Must admit, with my birthday coming up, I've been tempted to treat myself to a luxury purchase, but I really, really don't need another guitar. 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Must admit, with my birthday coming up, I've been tempted to treat myself to a luxury purchase, but I really, really don't need another guitar. 

What on Earth are you on about ! "NEED" doesn't come into it😄 I didn't need  the Gretsch snare drum I recently puchased but it was such a bargain  .....

Edited by veloman
missed something
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I absolutely don't need another one, and I certainly don't have the talent to back up spending £2k+ on one....but, if I can't treat myself for my 40th birthday then when can I treat myself.

I really need someone on here to guide me through my G.A.S. though, I'm so close to ordering the Fender GTX50 right now but aside from wanting to upgrade on the spark amp for no real reason I don't actually need it.

Â