The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

39 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

great stuff mooney. Nice one. It was wondering who's playing the piano that made me wonder. Check out Steve Vai over here

(he used to play all the instruments on some of his solo stuff.)

Oops! I forgot about the piano! Also sampled - three hammered chords, looped, and used as a bit of a filler in the mix. The vocal, harmonica, bass and all the guitars (there are about 7 or 8 in there) are me, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Oops! I forgot about the piano! Also sampled - three hammered chords, looped, and used as a bit of a filler in the mix. The vocal, harmonica, bass and all the guitars (there are about 7 or 8 in there) are me, though. 

well, that serves me right for trying to pay you a compliment!

I'm a bit of a jack of all trades myself. Doing a bit of practice before my solo acoustic comeback tour of villages in mid wales :D

doffs cap

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

well, that serves me right for trying to pay you a compliment!

I'm a bit of a jack of all trades myself. Doing a bit of practice before my solo acoustic comeback tour of villages in mid wales :D

doffs cap

Yeah, I did initially plan to play the piano myself, but I'm pretty hamfisted on keys, so I cheated! 

Good luck with the gigs - this actual paid work, or open mics? Original material or covers? 

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I did initially plan to play the piano myself, but I'm pretty hamfisted on keys, so I cheated! 

Good luck with the gigs - this actual paid work, or open mics? Original material or covers? 

I think I mentioned elsewhere about my mate who died last year from emphasema. He, in his last few months outside of hospital, had been dragging me and MrsVM out to a local open mic a few miles up the road. Neither of them play owt, but it's a pretty eclectic mix of stuff, including stories/poetry etc and a really inclusive vibe - which for me is the key. I like the place, the attitude of the peeps that run it and on top of that my companions knew well that taking me there and metaphorically kicking me in the shins every month might trigger some sort of desire to pick up my guitar. I'm no maestro by a long way, but I can play some tunes and do some singing n that. My mate had taken me there knowing a lot of the people there and as I say, he knew what he was doing.

As well as that I have this, now kinda old I suppose, Art and Luthrie electro Acoustic I bought new 20-25 years ago now. Nothing special and the neck is a bit thin for my sausage fingers but it has a really nice rich tone in the bottom strings. Quite high action but great for banging out chords. In all the 15 years of being with MrsVM it has sat in our lounge with my other guitars, but this one with no strings on and no bridge, the pegs for the strings had worn the holes a bit bigger than they were and basically well loved but in need of a guitar tech. My mate who died didn't really play like I said but he LOVED guitars. He owned a few including a lovely 12 string accoustic he used to hand to me to play him wish you were here on back in the day. Anyway, he had had my guitar off me to fix it but but fell really ill and the last thing he really said to me was to go in to his house (While he was in a hospice) and get my guitar back from his house coz if he croaks it and it's still there no one else would know which is mine or anything about it etc. Went in, new mother of pearl inlaid pegs, new bridge, and a pack of strings all sat under my guitar, waiting to be put together.

So the night he died I sat, teary eyed with MrsVM and re-strung it over a bottle of wine and reminisced about the good old days, but also made a promise to myself to do the open mic night, as his friend, in a venue where half the people were also friends of his knowing he genuinely wanted me to do it. He genuinely couldn't string 2 chords together let alone 3 and not for want of trying. although we would occasionally get him jamming along to Keep on Rockin' in the Free World (until the C/D changes and the A bit confused him!). If I;m really getting into it and this post has become longer than expected, then Hawkind's Masters of the Universe is the one song he could jam along to, infact it's synonomous with him and now I think of it I think I wrote some lyrics out on here aimed towards him in the pilgrimage thread or somewhere.

So TL/DR open mic night, covers, first solo gutar thingy for about 18/19 years I reckon. blow off the cobwebs.

Gotta do it on THAT guitar

We gets 3 songs so I'm practicing Release (Pearl Jam) for me, Wish you were here for the dead butty, and Keep on Rockin' in the Free World as some sort of homage to the old days. If I'm lucky the singing will still be able to mask the sloppiness and drag me through to the end unscathed :D

But yeah, he's kind of done me there, I've gotta do it really. Last laugh's on him :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think I mentioned elsewhere about my mate who died last year from emphasema. He, in his last few months outside of hospital, had been dragging me and MrsVM out to a local open mic a few miles up the road. Neither of them play owt, but it's a pretty eclectic mix of stuff, including stories/poetry etc and a really inclusive vibe - which for me is the key. I like the place, the attitude of the peeps that run it and on top of that my companions knew well that taking me there and metaphorically kicking me in the shins every month might trigger some sort of desire to pick up my guitar. I'm no maestro by a long way, but I can play some tunes and do some singing n that. My mate had taken me there knowing a lot of the people there and as I say, he knew what he was doing.

As well as that I have this, now kinda old I suppose, Art and Luthrie electro Acoustic I bought new 20-25 years ago now. Nothing special and the neck is a bit thin for my sausage fingers but it has a really nice rich tone in the bottom strings. Quite high action but great for banging out chords. In all the 15 years of being with MrsVM it has sat in our lounge with my other guitars, but this one with no strings on and no bridge, the pegs for the strings had worn the holes a bit bigger than they were and basically well loved but in need of a guitar tech. My mate who died didn't really play like I said but he LOVED guitars. He owned a few including a lovely 12 string accoustic he used to hand to me to play him wish you were here on back in the day. Anyway, he had had my guitar off me to fix it but but fell really ill and the last thing he really said to me was to go in to his house (While he was in a hospice) and get my guitar back from his house coz if he croaks it and it's still there no one else would know which is mine or anything about it etc. Went in, new mother of pearl inlaid pegs, new bridge, and a pack of strings all sat under my guitar, waiting to be put together.

So the night he died I sat, teary eyed with MrsVM and re-strung it over a bottle of wine and reminisced about the good old days, but also made a promise to myself to do the open mic night, as his friend, in a venue where half the people were also friends of his knowing he genuinely wanted me to do it. He genuinely couldn't string 2 chords together let alone 3 and not for want of trying. although we would occasionally get him jamming along to Keep on Rockin' in the Free World (until the C/D changes and the A bit confused him!). If I;m really getting into it and this post has become longer than expected, then Hawkind's Masters of the Universe is the one song he could jam along to, infact it's synonomous with him and now I think of it I think I wrote some lyrics out on here aimed towards him in the pilgrimage thread or somewhere.

So TL/DR open mic night, covers, first solo gutar thingy for about 18/19 years I reckon. blow off the cobwebs.

Gotta do it on THAT guitar

We gets 3 songs so I'm practicing Release (Pearl Jam) for me, Wish you were here for the dead butty, and Keep on Rockin' in the Free World as some sort of homage to the old days. If I'm lucky the singing will still be able to mask the sloppiness and drag me through to the end unscathed :D

But yeah, he's kind of done me there, I've gotta do it really. Last laugh's on him :)

Brilliant story. You'll smash it. The gig that is, not the guitar.

(Unless you finish with 'My Generation' and go full Townshend).  :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

. He genuinely couldn't string 2 chords together let alone 3 and not for want of trying.

:)

Great Story and as regards the above quote according to great session guitarist Louis Shelton, he would have been ideal for The Monkees !!! 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

Great Story and as regards the above quote according to great session guitarist Louis Shelton, he would have been ideal for The Monkees !!! 

Jones and Dolenz were actors, but Nesmith and Tork were both good musicians. 

I've got another new addition arriving tomorrow (hopefully) 

Gretsch G9520E Gin Rickey Electro Acoustic, Smokestack Black - Front View

A little parlour guitar, I'm going to sell my Martin Backpacker, I love it but it is just too awkward to enjoy playing for long spells, this was only about £250 so I thought I'd take a punt on it.

From what I've read they are good little workhorses, action is usually a little high straight out of the box but that doesn't bother me and if I ever decide to set myself a project I can try and lower it myself and if it kills the guitar I won't be overly bothered at the price I paid for it.

The videos I've watched of it though, it sounds awesome through an amp, got a real old fashioned bluesy sound, a lot of people have said that they use them as slide guitars which is something I'd be interested in as well so I'm really looking forward to it arriving.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

JOHN CIPOLLINA of QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE and his unique guitar rig. 

The amp set up Cipollina implemented was an integral part of his signature sound, and can be seen as driving force in solidifying the psychedelic sound of the San Francisco music scene of the 1960's. 

Cipollina's unusual selection and combination of amps resulted in an entirely unique amp stack. On the bottom of the stack sat two solid-state Standel bass amps, each of which were equipped with two 15 inch speakers. In contrast, on the top of the stack sat two Fender tube amps: a Twin Reverb sporting two 12-inch speakers, and a Dual Showman which had been modified to drive six Wurlitzer horns. 

This set up was deliberately designed so as to form a symbiotic relationship with the guitar. Cipollina's SGs were wired to have one pickup going purely to the Standel bass amps, and have the other pickup going purely to the Fender guitar amps. This meant Cipollina could play with the low crunch of the Standel amps and the classic spiky cleans of the Fenders simultaneously. 

"I like the rapid punch of solid-state for the bottom, and the rodent-gnawing distortion of the tubes on top" - John Cipollina

Cipollina also used the driven Wurlitzer horns to good effect, using a foot-switch to turn them on and off. When pushed by the Dual Showman, they provided a familiar rounded tone with overtones of distorted tube breakup. (An example of the horn tone can be heard in Quicksilver Messenger Service's 'How You Love') 

FB link

o

FB_IMG_1702917064645.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

9 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Anyone make electronic music? I've been Djing for 25 years and dabbled in Ableton but I'm no musician, not even close - but I get a wonderful buzz watching people create new tunes and remixes.

Define 'electronic'. I made this for my own amusement (and posted it on here a few years ago). Totally out of character. 

Are You Good At Remembering?

(Headphones recommended) :)

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, T-Dog said:

Absolutely love that! How did you make that if you don't mind me asking? 

Jeez, I can barely remember! Basically a bunch of sequencers, samples and FX, recorded with the Reaper DAW. 

Like I say, a million miles from my usual guitar and vocals stuff. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Jeez, I can barely remember! Basically a bunch of sequencers, samples and FX, recorded with the Reaper DAW. 

Like I say, a million miles from my usual guitar and vocals stuff. 

Honestly mate, absolutely love it, right up my street that

• Like 1

Been working hard on my production skills. Here's one of my latest songs, just re-added to the Tube. I play, sing, write everything, etc. As usual, the only guitar is an American tele with traditional bridge pickup and a wax-potted neck humbucker  -- such a versatile instrument. It screams, it thunders, it drones, it breathes like elves. 

• Like 2

Â