How Far Back Can You Trace Your Lineage?

maqroll

17 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

A fun fact is that we are technically entitled free rent for life in a Arms house in Tamworth if we wanted to force the issue

Phone them up and record the conversation 

7 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Via ancestry you download your results in settings and then upload to other sites. I can’t explain in depth what it looks like it’s like a code and measurements . By uploading it to another database i works through their database and matches with what they have. 

Can't see anything remotely like that in MyHeritage. What they sent me was basically text, as in my screenshot upthread. No links to the raw data. 

EDIT: Found it. It was well hidden! 

FURTHER EDIT: Followed the instructions, got the message "We're processing your DNA file. The download will automatically begin in less than a minute" 

20 minutes later... nothing.  :angry: 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Can't see anything remotely like that in MyHeritage. What they sent me was basically text, as in my screenshot upthread. No links to the raw data. 

EDIT: Found it. It was well hidden! 

FURTHER EDIT: Followed the instructions, got the message "We're processing your DNA file. The download will automatically begin in less than a minute" 

20 minutes later... nothing.  :angry: 

On ancestry they file is downloaded in less than 2 minutes. My heritage is a terrible site with a tiny database.

Edited by gwi1890

Not going to be possible for me, as my family are from the subcontinent and there is literally no record keeping in the rural punjabi villages, some village elder will make a brief note that someone was born around this time but nothing formal 🤣. The large cities like Chennai, Mumbai, PondiCherry where the british were would be a lot different and have immaculate records no doubt. I've always wanted to do one of those DNA Marker tests, some peers have done them and got very interesting results.

• Like 1

My mother's half of my family is totally Welsh going back to the Victorian era at least and may well be for 100s of years before that too. My mother spoke fluent Welsh as did my grandparents.

But my father's side is less known to me... he was English and he was a Londoner, as was my grandfather but I think my grandmother was born in Hungary to Hungarian parents and then she moved to London when she was a girl. And I think one of my grandfather's parents was Irish or maybe both of them...but I really want to be sure by discovering my family tree, I must sort it out !

A solid 500 years of Glamorgan / Launceston / Mevagissey for me.

Tendency to stick with one place for a while.

But here’s a ting, looks like we had a dabble with some Frenchies / Norman sorts down in Cornwall hundreds of years ago. My wife’s family… French, settled in Cornwall (relatively recently in comparison), but then followed the mining up to South Wales.

I didn’t know my missus until we were late teens… except, it turned out, we were on the same maternity ward at the same time.

Destiny, eh.

56 minutes ago, robby b said:

My mother's half of my family is totally Welsh going back to the Victorian era at least and may well be for 100s of years before that too. My mother spoke fluent Welsh as did my grandparents.

Same for me, except as far as I know, I'm the first family member born in England on my mothers side

On my fathers side, he's Welsh but his parents moved from Gloucestershire and that family we've already traced down the west country to Crewkerne and further west

There at some point seems to have been a fairly large exodus from Cornwall to South Wales as my missus has relatives that did exactly that, we've traced them from Cornwall up the West Country to South Wales, we've even discovered people alive today with the same very same obscure Cornish surname who live around Blaenavon, where some of her relatives ended up in this exodus and that family has lived around Blaenavon for generations. We're convinced there's a connection but have yet to make it.

I presume the exodus was related to the exhaustion of Tin in Cornwall, so they moved to South Wales where coal mining was booming. Given the similarity between the Welsh and Cornish languages that just seems like an obvious move to make

I did one of those DNA Ancestry things and the results were very surprising. I was expecting like most people to have a mixture of countries going back into time but no, my DNA is almost entirely British Isles

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A solid 500 years of Glamorgan / Launceston / Mevagissey for me.

Tendency to stick with one place for a while.

But here’s a ting, looks like we had a dabble with some Frenchies / Norman sorts down in Cornwall hundreds of years ago. My wife’s family… French, settled in Cornwall (relatively recently in comparison), but then followed the mining up to South Wales.

I didn’t know my missus until we were late teens… except, it turned out, we were on the same maternity ward at the same time.

Destiny, eh.

Glamorgan, that's where my mum and grandparents on her side were all born and raised, near Swansea (so West Glamorgan from the 70s to the 90s).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Inspired by a post @Rugeley Villa made in On Topic, about how far Villa fans travel, a lot of people are talking about their background and links to the local area. 

For me, I was born in Good Hope, raised in Erdington & Walmley, and have lived in Four Oaks/Mere Green for 16 or so years. My next move will be into the shires, Tamworth, or probably Lichfield. I've worked in Central Brum since 1997, save for a spell when I was based in Wellington Road, Perry Barr. 

My parents were both born at their respective family homes in Ladywood, in the early 50s. My Mom in Reservoir Road. She lived here for a few years, before the family purchased a house in Harold Road, just off Reservoir Road. We've just sold this house in the last fortnight, following my Nan's death last Christmas. My Grandad, after he left the Army, worked as a tool-setter on Sheepcote Street, off Broad St, before the company moved to Cape Hill/Smethwick. Nan worked as a cook in the canteen at the Midland Red bus depot in central Brum for a while. Mom went to Harborne Girls school. 

My Dad was born in St Vincent Street, Ladywood. Not a million miles from where the NIA is now. He had a more nomadic upbringing moving around to Lozells, Great Barr, where he went to Great Barr Comp school, before finally settling in Kingstanding on Warren Farm Road, where my Grandparents lived until their death a few years back. Grandad worked at a factory on Lichfield Road, Aston for most of his career after he left the Army, before a few more years on Wellhead Lane, Perry Barr. My Nan didn't work as she had to look after my Dad's heavily disabled brother, until he passed away as a teenager. After that she did some cleaning jobs in local Kingstanding shops. Both my Dad's parents were from Newtown/Aston area. 

Proppa brummies we are! :) 

• Like 2

The only Brummie in me is my maternal grandfather, who was born in Sparkhill. His whole family were season ticket holders at St Andrews, and he took me occasionally as a kid. My grandmother was from Earlswood, and they lived on Stoney Lane in Sparkhill (Moeen Ali's house) all my childhood. I used to love going there and get excited about going on the bus into town. I know very little about this side of the family.

My dad's father was from Glascote in Tamworth, he was one of 17 kids, of which 11 survived past the age of 5. My grandmother was from Shuttington, but they moved to Leamington, where my dad was born. She used to work for Randolph Turpin in his cafe. It seems this side of the family were farm labourers since the 1700's.

So I escaped the dark side, and became a Villa fan from the shires. Some things are just inevitable.

My dad paid for a family tree years ago and it traced us back to Lanarkshire in 1023. Our Kendrick lineage were sects of the Henderson and Ross clans, and through a great great grandmother also decendents from the Anderson clan.

My oldest brother is currently doing a more in-depth one but what he's found I've no idea.

Â