How Far Back Can You Trace Your Lineage?

maqroll

I’d echo what the chaps have said above. The easiest starting point is knowing someone that was alive in 1921 or 1911, so talk to someone old and hopefully get back to that point in time with a name and a location. In general, censuses and marriage certificates are to the main documents to aim to find.

I think most libraries have access to Ancestry for free if you want to keep the costs down. Sending off for certificates can be a costly business (it was about £10-12 a pop when I did mine about 10 years ago).

Knowing local genealogy societies/groups will help massively. For me, I’m 75% Black Country so I had a few really good sites to help:

https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com

www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk

I think most Churches records have been copied to microfilm and are located within most local libraires. I must have saved around £100 from getting the marriage reference numbers from westmidlandsbmd and popping into the Smethwick & Dudley Archives and finding them there instead of sending off for them.

Also, newspapers archives are available in findmypast so you can search there. I found one of my lot being done for speeding in Cradley Heath High Street, got fined for doing about 20mph on a horse and cart.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Unused Sub said:

found one of my lot being done for speeding in Cradley Heath High Street, got fined for doing about 20mph on a horse and cart.

Bastards. It's just a money spinner. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unused Sub said:

I found one of my lot being done for speeding in Cradley Heath High Street, got fined for doing about 20mph on a horse and cart.

No way was the speed camera calibrated properly!

My grandmothers maiden name was Jem and she’s always believed that she was related to one of the founders of the  lawn tennis association (Harry jem) but was never able to prove it so I managed to trace it back and found they had a common ancestor in the 18th century which made her pretty happy.

For one of my grandparents I managed to trace back through the parish records to around 1620 which is utterly mental to me. That’s what, James I time around the time of the gunpowder plot

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Be it thousands and thousands of photo's and video's stored on the cloud or endless posts on social media.

Very true. We have precisely 1 (one) photo of my Mom when she was a kid. Maybe nine or ten of me. Possibly 50-100 of my kids. Many hundreds (plus videos) of the grandchildren. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Very true. We have precisely 1 (one) photo of my Mom when she was a kid. Maybe nine or ten of me. Possibly 50-100 of my kids. Many hundreds (plus videos) of the grandchildren. 

The photo's of people from 100 years ago would have generally been lost after a while. With people now posting their's openly online this probably won't be an issue. 

I think there's some weird stat about how 99% of all information the human race has captured has been created in the last 50 years and I can't see us slowing down.

• Like 1

I have never bothered to look up a family tree but I am quite proud of the fact that I have a Non-league soccer team and a borough with the same sir name.Also lots of street names around London.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Does anybody know how the ancestry dna site works? 

No, but I'm awaiting a DNA kit from MyHeritage. I'll let you know if it turns out I'm 80% Aztec and 20% Pygmy. 

• Haha 1

On 10/03/2023 at 04:08, mjmooney said:

Bump. 

As mentioned in the pubs thread, I've just revived my family tree research, and it's absolutely fascinating. 

Finding stuff out about my Dad's (Irish) side of the family is somewhat more tricky, although there is a bit more info online than I had been led to believe. 

My Mom's side though, are Brummies going back at least 200 years (mate). 

Anybody else into this stuff? 

Yes, I find it fascinating. My Irish grandfather's family history is the one branch that has been the most difficult to get info on. All we know is that he grew up in Quincy, Mass. Not sure if his parents were Irish born or not. 

We have Yates blood related to some fancy fella in England. 

Also Dutch blood. Fairly prominent families in New York way back when. Yates County, NY is my Yates clan. Bleecker St in Manhattan is named after my great-great-great? Grandfather. Also related to a Governor of NY and Mayor of Albany.

Im related to the youngest passenger on the Mayflower. 

Also related to a Mohawk woman of some notoriety way back. 

My Italian ancestors were part of the first wave of Italians in Boston. They came from Genoa. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Obviously this is very embarrassing and distressing, finding out I have relatives from Coventry

My mother grew up in Small Heath.

Although she was at least born in Aston (as was I). 

• Like 1

Â