How Far Back Can You Trace Your Lineage?

maqroll

I only go back a few thousand years and have never been a monkey or a platypus.

In truth, I think that relatively recently my lot have come up from Cornwall. But it's not something I've been particularly interested in researching really. Just stumbled across a load of footy players with the same name as mine in Mevagissey and did a little very localised research that showed a link.

Edited by chrisp65

Maternal grandmother's line: various English and Welsh Quakers in the 17th century (the Taylors, Copes, and Evanses came over with Billy Penn)

Maternal grandfather's line: New Netherlands

Paternal grandmother's line: 19th century Lancashire (Bolton, Wigan) by way of Lea Street, Kiddy

Paternal grandfather's line: 18th century Ulster by way of Damascus, Virginia

My parents did this a few years back, on my fathers side it went all the way back to nobility, my great great great (repeat ad nauseum) fought in the battle of Bosworth field in 1485.  My middle name is named after him. 

Mother's side, I can get back to late 1700s. The Duttons lived in Cambridge (a Dutton was tutor to Oliver Cromwell's kids - sorry, Irish VTers), until one moved to Birmingham to work as a gunsmith. 

Father's side, no further than grandparents (early 1900s). I'd have to go to Ireland and start using parish records (which would mean setting foot in bloody churches), as I know the Dublin public records were largely trashed in the Easter Uprising. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

My parents did this a few years back, on my fathers side it went all the way back to nobility, my great great great (repeat ad nauseum) fought in the battle of Bosworth field in 1485.  My middle name is named after him. 

there was a man called underscore at Bosworth field?

• Like 1

Father's side, no further than grandparents (early 1900s). I'd have to go to Ireland and start using parish records (which would mean setting foot in bloody churches)

The advantage to being an atheist is that a church is no more significant or hallowed to you as the average tesco supermarket is. That's my take on it anyhoo.

as I know the Dublin public records were largely trashed in the Easter Uprising.

City Hall had a lot of records burned but if the parish they came from was small enough, they mightn't have even been in City Hall in the first place. They might still be in Ballygobackwards.

Father's side, no further than grandparents (early 1900s). I'd have to go to Ireland and start using parish records (which would mean setting foot in bloody churches)

The advantage to being an atheist is that a church is no more significant or hallowed to you as the average tesco supermarket is. That's my take on it anyhoo.

>as I know the Dublin public records were largely trashed in the Easter Uprising.

City Hall had a lot of records burned but if the parish they came from was small enough, they mightn't have even been in City Hall in the first place. They might still be in Ballygobackwards.

Yeah, I keep meaning to have a trip across to do a bit of research (perhaps when I retire - which could be as early as next year). I know my grandparents were Dubliners, but before that, not a clue. The Mooney surname is said to have originated in County Offaly.

You're right about churches, of course. And I do find them interesting from an historical and architectural perspective. But I never feel entirely comfortable in them. I'm convinced that the men in frocks can instinctively detect the "666" tattoo on my head...  :) 

According to my aunt, furthest I can trace is late 1800s (great-grandparents) on my maternal side.

:(

I'm hoping that they are wrong and that the next time I go to my grandfather's ancestral home in South China I'll be able to find more records.

Edited by legov

According to my aunt, furthest I can trace is early 1900s on my maternal side.

:(

I'm hoping that they are wrong and that the next time I go to my grandfather's ancestral home in South China I'll be able to find more records.

That would be cool.

I'm no fan of Gok Wan, but his series on visiting China for the first time was interesting.

It's on YouTube

Something that has never really interested me but my mom went back years and years to when people signed their names with an X because they couldn't read or write.

Apparently nearly all of my family is from Birmingham the furthest away that someone is from is Dudley or something like that

Something that has never really interested me but my mom went back years and years to when people signed their names with an X because they couldn't read or write.

That's still the case in Dudley, isn't it? ;)

Â