The Randy Lerner thread

CI

As we have witnessed in the Premier League this year with other clubs - money no longer buys success. Randy has consistently provided financial backing no less so than last year

We had a net spend of 8 mill on a squad that barely avoided relegation. Clearly the way to success is limiting funds and hoping for the best. Unbelievable.

• Like 2

Just now, jasoncb said:

We had a net spend of 8 mill on a squad that barely avoided relegation. Clearly the way to success is limiting funds and hoping for the best. Unbelievable.

We also had an actual spend of something like £55m

6 minutes ago, Eames said:

We also had an actual spend of something like £55m

Which is great if your aim is to defend Lerner. Not so great if you want a fair assessment of the squad we were able to build compared to others. 

Aonther Tom Fox, just what we need. Still no real football people involved in the running of the club.

The balance between being run as a business and a football club is all wrong, and this seems tobe going in the wrong direction again. Time wil ltell of course, but i'm not confident.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Which is great if your aim is to defend Lerner. Not so great if you want a fair assessment of the squad we were able to build compared to others. 

I'm not really aiming to do either.

I suppose I'm commenting how £47m can be conveniently forgotten about for the purposes of a somewhat limited argument. 

But since you went there - Randy did what he was supposed to do - make a significant amount of money available to Sherwood to build the squad. I'd also argue that overall the players who came in are/were of the required standard. The problem was Sherwood is such a piss poor manager he failed miserably to build a team. 

Edited by Eames
  • Like 2

They had lots of time to carefully word that statement.

Therefore it has to be considered deeply disappointing.

In particular the comment that " money no longer buys success".

Now, if it had said " money alone has never guaranteed success, and there are many good examples of how strong financial backing together with solid structure, excellent recruitment, scouting, youth programme, strong management, a forward thinking approach to the game, consistent and meaningful engagement with supporters ( and so on etc)...." then great.

But it already reads like money hardly matters, when it clearly always has been, and always will be, a very significant factor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eames said:

I'm not really aiming to do either.

I suppose I'm commenting how £47m can be conveniently forgotten about for the purposes of a somewhat limited argument. 

But since you went there - Randy did what he was supposed to do - make a significant amount of money available to Sherwood to build the squad. I'd also argue that overall the players who came in are/were of the required standard. The problem was Sherwood is such a piss poor manager he failed miserably to build a team. 

Well like I sad. It's perfect for if you want to defend Lerner. 

Anyone with any sense can see the lack of investment over the years, the consistent relegation battles and the huge players we lost in the summer. And apart from Ayew and occasionally a couple of others, the summer signings have not shown they are the required standard. 

But if you want to say "Randy did what he was supposed to" while we sit bottom and heading down with a club record low amount of points, then you carry on. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

But if you want to say "Randy did what he was supposed to" while we sit bottom and heading down with a club record low amount of points, then you carry on. 

Does he pick the team? Motivate the players? Identify new ones? 

Randy is not the only turd in this particular cesspool. Hard to argue lack of money when the first season in 5 that he has spent big ££ is the one that will see us down. 

Just now, Eames said:

Does he pick the team? Motivate the players? Identify new ones? 

Randy is not the only turd in this particular cesspool. Hard to argue lack of money when the first season in 5 that he has spent big ££ is the one that will see us down. 

Of course not. This club has had and currently has many turds. Some hired by Lerner and some signed by turds hired by Lerner. 

It's not hard to argue money if you pay the slightest bit of attention to the club over the last few years. If you're a talk sport pundit who isn't collymore, then I'm sure they'd say similar. 

45 minutes ago, djamfisher said:

Aonther Tom Fox, just what we need.

He isnt that.

Don't you think, just another layer senior management interested in the commercial side of the club (this is my concern and my opinion). My worry is, going forward, like now the balance is not right, in terms of getting the football strcture right. It clearly isn't now, with two unqualified mugs running the recruitment.

I hope I'm wrong and Mr Hollis is strong enough not to believe the nonsense Fox feeds him.

1 hour ago, jasoncb said:

Net transfer spend of £8 million. Every player signed gets a sign on fee too. For example Ayew got a rumored £2million. 
So you can expect the net spend to be closer to £20 million than £8milion. 

And for a club that has been making losses every season for ages it is quite incredible that we are able to spend more than we make. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Actual spend on first team players where we lacked spending, as we sold other players to make that happen and... Yep, miss those players. It's like selling your legs to pay for a **** treadmill.

Lerner you word removed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I'm not sure I get what changes. Remi says to Hollis that he needs 20 mill min in the summer, Hollis relays this to Randy by email, Randy never replies to Hollis' email.

I bet Randy doesnt even have email. He probably more old fashioned and posts letters or sends a raven

no wonder it took 11 days into the window for Fox to meet him :P

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I bet Randy doesnt even have email. He probably more old fashioned and posts letters or sends a raven

no wonder it took 11 days into the window for Fox to meet him :P

Ravens cost money, all that seed and cage maintenance - can't see it.

Who is running the football side of things? Is the new chairman going to make decisions on managers and spending or is that Tom Fox? Who is going to be over seeing plans on the pitch? I was hoping we'd moved away from all responsibility given to the manager and we'd have a plan in place, so that what ever manager we hired was working towards that. 

It sounds to me that the new chairman is going to do things that Tom Fox seems much more qualified to do. 

The structure of this club has been an utter shambles. I don't see how this makes any difference. I guess what it does is allow Lerner to have even less involvement. But the problem is the entire club will still be ran to meet his ambition. Whether he's involved or not ultimately the club is run to get by cheaply until a buyer is found. Hiring this guy changes nothing for me. Until the cancer at the club is gone we will always be held back. 

• Like 1

Â