The Randy Lerner thread

CI

http://www.football3...6205/F365-Focus

Sorry, I don't know how to do short address thingys

For those calling for Lerner to sell due to lack of investment, have a read of this...Lerner's investment seems pretty large to me...

I've just read this...I have neither the time nor the inclination to pen a detailedrebuttal, but just to say what a biased, inaccurate, pile of shit this article is

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/8376205/F365-Focus

Sorry, I don't know how to do short address thingys

For those calling for Lerner to sell due to lack of investment, have a read of this...Lerner's investment seems pretty large to me...

£200m invested but how much has he taken in return so far? Add to that the value of the club if sold and I bet he won't be too far off getting his money back, which is quite lucky for a man who allowed his managers free rein to spend extortionate amounts of money on shit players. Any money lost by Lerner is his own fault. A manager is a stranger to him so why go and give your cheque book to a stranger in the hope that he will look after it? He is not only playing with his own money but also the future of a great footballing institution. Hopefully he's learnt some valuable lessons and once the deadwood has gone he will be more careful and take more of an interest in what we are doing!

My employers had a group warehouse manager who wasted 10s of thousands on equipment that often sits gathering dust. We now have a director of logistics to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Given that Randy employed Faulkner to do that job, should he now be looked at for the errors made after O'Neill's departure? Given on a 5 year deal at his age was **** mental business!

Edited by villarocker

In his 6 years does anyone know how much interest on loans and management charges he's paid himself ? I'm sure 1 year alone was in excess of £15m

I would like to know this as well. I bet Randy isn't too much out of pocket.

I'm not presenting it as fact or anything, I know that we've also recieved some sizeable transfer fees of nearly £100m, I was presenting it as a sobering view that Lerner hasn't been the tight arse some are making him out to be (not sure about how much has has taken himself)...

I think we are better off with Lerner than without, unless we get a genuine moneybags owner like Citeh

Would be interesting to see a high level "ins and outs" of monies for Villa over his tenure.

As has been said, to offset the investment he's had ~£100m back in transfer fees, interest on loans, management fees, ticket sales, merchandise, plus TV and prize money.

Absolutely agree. I understood the "five year plan" when it was explained and it seemed that we were roughly follwoing that trajectory (until MC came in a blew the opportunity for fourth place CL position out the water).

What is it we are trying to achieve now?? reduce the wage bill - right, and then what?

In the end, General Krulak antagonised fans as his rhetoric became so out of touch with what we could see happening in front of our eyes, a prediction of a possible 4th 5th place finish in a season when we finished 16th was the final nail in the coffin which saw him shame-faced slink away from the forums, but at least we had some insight into high level thinking - now we hear nothing at all from the club

If there was a time for the club to communicate it's aims and get the supporters back onside, surely it is now

Yes. I think he bought the club on the basis that it had unfulfilled potential, and with some investment and decent management it could do better. The bid for CL failed at the same time as the wider context was changing and the environment getting more challenging. At that point it seems the strategy was thought unachievable, but there wasn't a plan B.

We now seem to be groping towards one, based on stabilising while some rebuilding takes place, looking to get younger, cheaper, but eventually better players - in other words, hoping for a return which outperforms the level of investment. To achieve this, Lerner seems to be following what is said to be his usual approach of trying to find someone he thinks can achieve that for him, rather than a more hands-on approach, in so far as we can tell.

It might work, and it might not. But it doesn't feel like there's much in the way of strategic vision and direction coming from the top, more a kind of hope and faith. As a strategy for a multi-million pound investment, it's...interesting.

So I can't be unhappy with Lerner unless I'm prepared to start a boycott revelation? I assume you said the same to anyone who was unhappy with Mcleish and houllier?

Its already happeden mate and its there in black and white!..

Team Pld Total Highest Average Capacity Pct 1

Norwich City(12) 10 266254 26840 26625 26034 102.2% 2

Manchester United (1) 10 755085 75603 75509 75769 99.6% 3

Reading (19) 10 241040 24184 24104 24200 99.6% 4

Fulham (13) 10 255585 25700 25559 25700 99.4% 5

Arsenal (5) 9 540851 60111 60095 60432 99.4% 6

Swansea City (8) 11 224145 20650 20377 20500 99.4% 7

Tottenham Hotspur (3) 11 395626 36180 35966 36310 99.0% 8

Chelsea (4) 9 374480 41792 41609 42055 98.9% 9

Liverpool (10) 10 446960 44942 44696 45362 98.5% 10

Manchester City (2) 11 515955 47386 46905 48000 97.7% 11

West Ham United (11) 11 380611 35005 34601 35647 97.0% 12

Stoke City (9) 10 270640 27529 27064 28384 95.3% 13

Newcastle United (15) 10 496841 52385 49684 52387 94.8% 14

Southampton (17) 11 335459 31944 30496 32689 93.2% 15

Queens Park Rangers (20) 10 178342 18304 17834 19148 93.1% 16

Everton (6) 10 369830 39613 36983 40394 91.5% 17

West Bromwich Albion (7) 11 275882 26039 25080 28003 89.5% 18

Sunderland (14) 10 401967 47456 40197 49000 82.0% 19

Aston Villa (16) 10 342427 40538 34243 42551 80.4% 20

Wigan Athletic (18) 11 205248 21754 18659 25138 74.2%

Edited by sutherland

Can someone explain to me what Lerner is meant to do if he just cannot afford it anymore?

Saying 'sell to someone who can' doesn't count, as its like me saying why i dont have more money, just win the lottery!

The more tickets you buy, The more chances you got of winning something.

Lerner buys a £5 scratch card and if its any good cashes it in then buys a £1 scratch card!

Why is there a perception that Manshitty blew our chances of 4th spot as Spuds seem to have managed 2 fourth place finishes since a mega rich MC came on the scene???? Plus they haven't over spent to get it?

I could never understand it as a valid arguement when people said it at the time

Can someone explain to me what Lerner is meant to do if he just cannot afford it anymore?

Saying 'sell to someone who can' doesn't count, as its like me saying why i dont have more money, just win the lottery!

It was a perfectly valid response for the years Ellis just "couldn't afford it anymore", not sure why it wouldn't be valid now to be hones

It was a perfectly valid response for the years Ellis just "couldn't afford it anymore"

No it wasn't, at all.

A valid response, then as now might have been "actively seek new investment /ownership [if you're not willing/able/capable to put any money in]"

There's a major difference between then and now. Ellis took money out, and ran the club badly. Randy is putting money in and running the club [insert personal view here].

Personally, I don't think any fan has any right to demand that an owner or chairman "puts money in". I think they have grounds for complaint if the owner/chairman is using the club as a fund for themselves, or using it for their own ends. That is something that Randy is most definitely NOT doing

There is no way Randy lerner is ever going to make a profit from owning Aston Villa, whether he stays or sells up.

In the last accounts, Villa made a £54mill LOSS.

Even with a cut in the wage bill, we'll stick be making a large loss again.

Over the past 4 years, Villa has had a combined loss of £167mill.

There is no way Randy is going to be able to recover that through selling the club, nor through clawing back profit.

Can someone please explain to me how Randy is making a loss and only investing his own money whilst running the club with youngsters at the helm, yet Doug was taking money out of the club, challenged for a couple of titles, won a couple of cups, spent millions on the playing side and oversaw the building of three new stands?

I am not being funny here. I just seriously don't get it! Players wages were comparatively big in Doug's days. We were signing players from Liverpool, Man Utd etc in those days for releatively big fees so those players must have been on sizeable salaries too. Ticket prices are highest ever and so is the overall matchday experience. I just do not understand how one man can be taking money out of the club and doing all what Doug did and yet Randy is losing a fortune and playing our reserves as first teamers.

Can someone please explain to me how Randy is making a loss and only investing his own money whilst running the club with youngsters at the helm, yet Doug was taking money out of the club, challenged for a couple of titles, won a couple of cups, spent millions on the playing side and oversaw the building of three new stands?

I am not being funny here. I just seriously don't get it! Players wages were comparatively big in Doug's days. We were signing players from Liverpool, Man Utd etc in those days for releatively big fees so those players must have been on sizeable salaries too. Ticket prices are highest ever and so is the overall matchday experience. I just do not understand how one man can be taking money out of the club and doing all what Doug did and yet Randy is losing a fortune and playing our reserves as first teamers.

NRC

Shorey

L. Young

Sidwell

Beye

Makoun

Heskey

Carew

Friedel

Warnock

Davies

Dunne

Hutton

Ireland

Given

Nzogbia.

Work out how much was paid in transfer fees, how much in wages and then subtract what we have got / will get back in transfer fees and theres your answer.........

Â