The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Well it appears that our smalltime chairman along with Faulkner wants upto another 10 players of the wage bill...............

One of which could well be Collins who expects to be sold.

I know Comolli has been mention on a thread somewhere. But just to add to the speculation, I was told today that he was in the directors' box on Sunday. Read into that what you will. I am not sure what to make of it. If he came we have to bear in mind he was responsible for Liverpool paying £35m for Andy Carroll!

Well it appears that our smalltime chairman along with Faulkner wants upto another 10 players of the wage bill...............

If we could get 3m+, I would happily see Collins sold.

The Carroll transfer, whilst hilarious, is an anomaly because Newcastle knew full well that Liverpool had £50m kicking about and were going to fully take advantage of that if they were to let their star striker hometown hero leave on the last day of the transfer window without replacing him. Liverpool just panicked (in my opinion they would've been fine with Suarez and Kuyt until the summer) and probably wanted to avoid fan criticism that they would't spend the Torres money.

Exactly chappy. You simply can not talk about Carroll's transfer fee without talking about how the scenario came about.

Though I think that fee is a large part of the reason he has been so poor for so long. He's only now coming around.

What was Comolli's role in bringing Carroll to the Club. Hasn't Kenny always maintained that he picked the players he wanted?

Dalglish identified the targets and Comolli negotiated the transfers.

Given what he paid for Henderson, Carroll, Adam and Downing, it appears that his negotiation skills are non-existent!

Of course, should he come to work for the Villa, any such shortcomings are irrelevant, as anything that goes wrong will be Randy Lerner's fault. :winkold:

Exactly chappy. You simply can not talk about Carroll's transfer fee without talking about how the scenario came about.

Though I think that fee is a large part of the reason he has been so poor for so long. He's only now coming around.

I had the same argument with a collegue , Carroll would have gone for far less if Liverpool hadn't sold Torres for £50 mil.I do think they over paid for Henderson and Downing as well but all 3 came at a premuim for being English.

What was Comolli's role in bringing Carroll to the Club. Hasn't Kenny always maintained that he picked the players he wanted?

Dalglish identified the targets and Comolli negotiated the transfers.

Given what he paid for Henderson, Carroll, Adam and Downing, it appears that his negotiation skills are non-existent!

Of course, should he come to work for the Villa, any such shortcomings are irrelevant, as anything that goes wrong will be Randy Lerner's fault. :winkold:

Fair enough.

As others said the Carroll deal was silly because of Torres.

At the time I thought considering how he played last season Downing looked like a £20m player. Its up to Dalgleish to get the best out of him.

Adam what did they sign him for £8m? If so at the time it didn't look too bad.

Henderson was stupid money though!

The Carroll transfer, whilst hilarious, is an anomaly because Newcastle knew full well that Liverpool had £50m kicking about and were going to fully take advantage of that if they were to let their star striker hometown hero leave on the last day of the transfer window without replacing him. Liverpool just panicked (in my opinion they would've been fine with Suarez and Kuyt until the summer) and probably wanted to avoid fan criticism that they would't spend the Torres money.

I understood that Spurs had tabled an offer of £30m before Plop?

The Comoli rumours are probably just that. He is a strange man. Not too many good words for him at Arsenal, Spurs and now Liverpool.

There are persistent claims that he is a bluffer. He claimed credit for signings he had nothing to do with at Arsenal and he is ridiculed at Spurs for similar antics.

All the same he would surely improve our non-existent scouting network.

However we could need to be sure that our new manager would be willing to work with him.

I understood that Spurs had tabled an offer of £30m before Plop?

I thought it was 20?

Damian Comoli didnt really even want to sign those players, I think liverpool wanted a mainly British transfer rule policy..read this..

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3774/the-sweeper/2012/04/21/3050407/the-sweeper-sacked-comolli-frustrated-by-liverpools-buy

It says in that article as well that he wanted to bring in Juan Mata last summer.. So you cant blame it all on Comoli, he wanted to go abroad because he said there was better Value for money, British players are over priced.

as anything that goes wrong will be Randy Lerner's fault. :winkold:
What do you think it is ok to suggest is Lerner's fault and what do you think is not OK ? I mean he is the owner, he does set the strategy so do you think it is OK for appointments to be his fault? Or club finances / budget ? For example

collins is shite, and a troublemaker, so no loss there

however where on earth have you heard lerner wants another 10 players off the wage bill? are we only going to pay a first xi or something?

as anything that goes wrong will be Randy Lerner's fault. :winkold:
What do you think it is ok to suggest is Lerner's fault and what do you think is not OK ? I mean he is the owner, he does set the strategy so do you think it is OK for appointments to be his fault? Or club finances / budget ? For example

My opinion has always been that the buck stops with the owner, but he is one of those individuals to whom all things bad, and none of the things good, are attributed, in the eyes of some on here.

He is very much damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, so if he wants to give McLeish another year, he might as well.

Â