The Randy Lerner thread

CI

14 minutes ago, KHV said:

Correct mate, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton, West Ham.

Unfortunately Ellis made sure we missed the boat in 1984 to mix it up with Everton & Pool from 83-89.

we were up there with ManU, B'burn, Newcastle & Arsenal 90-96 but Ellis couldnt maintain it.

from then on till RL we just stagnated letting others overtake us.

RL's gungho was fun but has cost us the last 5/6 yrs.

realistically, had we have been run effectively, we could be amongst that lot now.

We'll never compete with ManU, ManC, Chelsea, Arsenal.

We may have been able to hang around L'pool & Spurs.

But there's no excuse for not being able to compete alongside Toon, Everton & West Ham.

The fact that Leicester, Soton, Palace, Stoke, WBA & Watford are out of our reach is a disgrace. Needless to say being bottom behind S'land, Swansea, Bournemouth & Norwich is nothing less than criminal.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

We may have been able to hang around L'pool & Spurs.

But there's no excuse for not being able to compete alongside Toon, Everton & West Ham.

I don't think we would be able to hang round Plop and Spuds to be fair. We are nowhere near those two in terms generating non tv revenue. Newcastle have a bigger fan base so I can understand them being ahead too

There is not much between Villa, Everton and West Ham, when West Ham move stadium though I expect they will see a big jump too in revenue

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

The Express has an article saying Lerner wants Villa to become one of the best run clubs in the country and will not sell until it is. Seeing as he has managed the club into its current state I guess we are stuck with him for a while.

In League One? The guy has had 10 years and made a royal horlicks of it he hasn't a clue.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, omariqy said:

£168m over 10 years is not a massive amount for a premier league team. More importantly the majority of that was spent early on and then there was a sudden shift to the complete opposite strategy. No gradual process. Just a massive shift. Of course it will have a detrimental effect.

with £110,000,000 of players going with no return skews the figures. Had we got a 50% return on those players it would have put the spend at around £10,000,000 a season which isnt enough.

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What, the small island in the English channel?

Of their football team, not of the island as a whole. Although I havent actually read the article yet so who knows...

http://www.itv.com/news/channel/2016-01-21/jersey-fa-appoint-former-aston-villa-boss-brian-little-as-the-islands-new-manager/

54 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

Southampton are also richer than us 

Yep they received 13m more in prize money for finishing 7th as opposed to our 17th, and around 2m more in TV money due to being shown more. With these two things going in their favour it offset all of the 14-15m extra revenue we generated in other areas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

The fan negativity is called realism. 

Not really. It's called being negative about everything for nothing other than negativity's sake. You see it every day, in each and every thread, and it's almost like people are purposely trying to paradoy being a miserable Brummie.

I remember when the Baggies did the "great escape". The whole club got on board with it and gave it their absolute all. They survived. It wouldn't happen here: the fans would prefer to wallow in negativity and dress it up as realism rather than do whatever it takes to save the club. 

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Not really. It's called being negative about everything for nothing other than negativity's sake. You see it every day, in each and every thread, and it's almost like people are purposely trying to paradoy being a miserable Brummie.

I remember when the Baggies did the "great escape". The whole club got on board with it and gave it their absolute all. They survived. It wouldn't happen here: the fans would prefer to wallow in negativity and dress it up as realism rather than do whatever it takes to save the club. 

The fans' mood reflects where the club is at, and these last 5 years have been torture without the merest hint of light at the end of the tunnel. 

12 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Every set of fans, in our situation would do the same. Don't try and make us out to be  some sort of idiots.

The Baggies was a championship/League 1 side for years, when it finally got promoted a few years before the great escape. Thier expectations and experience were completely different. Trust me, if they were now in our position their fans would moan like hell. 

You may be happy to swallow whatever rubbish is given to you. Doesn't mean others have to.

Edited by djamfisher

9 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

The fans' mood reflects where the club is at, and these last 5 years have been torture without the merest hint of light at the end of the tunnel. 

The light at the end of the tunnel would probably be a train.

• Like 1

Â