The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Do you put £200 worth of new tires on that car you want to sell for £500?

I might if I really wanted to sell it to the extent that I would rather come away with £300 for the deal rather than some loose change or have it left on my hands. I have had cars like that! :)

The scary bit for me is when Lerner starts considering taking the £300 take it or leave it offer from the bloke with three Fiesta's and a caravan from around the corner just to get the damned thing off his drive.

At the opening of the bidding process I had a reasonable amount of faith that Lerner would want to find the 'right' buyer, one that could afford to take us forward on the basis that they could afford to pay what he was asking, I think he'd love to have been selecting the best owner from a number of different options with selection being around what they could do with the club in future; that hasn't happened and right now the club is sucking money out of him to the extent that he must be desperately looking for anyone with a vague interest - even if they're a bit less appealing. 

If we go down it'll cost him a fortune and I think that fortune could see us go on the cheap to some money launderer, war criminal, shell company or local businessman out of their depth - say goodbye Mark Cuban, hello Ken Bates and Stechford Tile.

Edited by OutByEaster?
  • Like 1

I thought this was an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/06/premier-league-takeovers-clubs-not-selling

Amid the swirl of early-season chatter and activity – Chelsea’s stumbling start, Brendan Rodgers’ sacking, another north-east crisis – that is the new norm in the Premier League, a curious lull has been growing. Despite plenty of rumours, it has been unusually quiet on the club takeover front, and for a very long time: there has not been a change of ownership at a Premier League club in the two-plus years since Shahid Khan completed his purchase of Fulham in July 2013.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Crystal Palace and Swansea are bigger clubs than us nowadays.

That is ridiculous. So based on your logic Citeh are bigger than United because they've finished above them for the past few seasons. 

Ok maybe I went a bit far but I guess it depends how you define big club. I don't see fighting for relegation every season and constantly looking misty eyed into the past as making us a big club.

That is ridiculous. So based on your logic Citeh are bigger than United because they've finished above them for the past few seasons. 

They probably are now, they sign better quality players, can fill their stadiums and are miles better to watch.  

They probably are now, they sign better quality players, can fill their stadiums and are miles better to watch.  

You must be joking 

Edited by Arj Guy

I thought this was an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/06/premier-league-takeovers-clubs-not-selling

Amid the swirl of early-season chatter and activity – Chelsea’s stumbling start, Brendan Rodgers’ sacking, another north-east crisis – that is the new norm in the Premier League, a curious lull has been growing. Despite plenty of rumours, it has been unusually quiet on the club takeover front, and for a very long time: there has not been a change of ownership at a Premier League club in the two-plus years since Shahid Khan completed his purchase of Fulham in July 2013.

Also there are bubbles everywhere waiting to implode. The serious money already knows this: Westminster sell off

Appologies for it being a Daily Wail article, but if anything that makes it more relevant coming from such a bubble-ramping rag.

There is no recovery, just more debt.

So, are Preston North End a bigger club than Swansea too? They won loads of stuff a hundred years ago.

We are a much much bigger club than Swansea. But bloody hell, it wouldn't take too much for that to change.

Even though we have been pretty awful for the last 5 years we are still a massive global draw. Our home form has been atrocious yet we still get decent attendances which become good with the slightest glimmer of entertainment. We are a big club bigger than all those mentioned who are currently in a better state footballing wise. Being pessimistic and negative about where we are still won't change our size but ultimately that counts for nothing unless we are successful on the pitch. The lower leagues are full of massive clubs who have fallen on hard times and couldn't stop the slide we need to be very careful that we don't join them!! 

Even though we have been pretty awful for the last 5 years we are still a massive global draw. Our home form has been atrocious yet we still get decent attendances which become good with the slightest glimmer of entertainment. We are a big club bigger than all those mentioned who are currently in a better state footballing wise. Being pessimistic and negative about where we are still won't change our size but ultimately that counts for nothing unless we are successful on the pitch. The lower leagues are full of massive clubs who have fallen on hard times and couldn't stop the slide we need to be very careful that we don't join them!! 

52% of our crowd is made up of season ticket holders, the lowest % in the league and our attendance to capacity % is also the loewst in the league. We are still one of the cheapest clubs in the league too. We couldn't always fill the ground under MON when we were pushing for the CL, it's a club on the way down soon to be forgotten like Nottingham Forest and Leeds

Massive global draw lol, almost spat my coffee out. 

Edited by West
  • Like 2

Made me chuckle too

52% of our crowd is made up of season ticket holders, the lowest % in the league and our attendance to capacity % is also the loewst in the league. We are still one of the cheapest clubs in the league too. We couldn't always fill the ground under MON when we were pushing for the CL, it's a club on the way down soon to be forgotten like Nottingham Forest and Leeds

'Soon to be forgotten like Forest and Leeds'

Have a break pal, dear oh dear.

Outside of the West Midlands, it really is a case of "What have you done for me lately?", and we've done bugger all bar our annual membership to the relegation battle club

It took all of about 4 years for Man City to become a global megateam, and it works the other way as well. We used to be a big club. We haven't done any big club things in a long time, and we're one of the cheapest teams in the premier league.

Made me chuckle too

you were trying to argue about us being a big club if you can't understand what makes a big club then you're knackered. We are in the top 10 for global tv audiences. I know it doesn't suit your negative view where we are now but its a fact. As for our home attendances I think we've won 17 home games in 4 years so to even get 35000 average is for me a good achievement as what's on offer is crap. 

you were trying to argue about us being a big club if you can't understand what makes a big club then you're knackered. We are in the top 10 for global tv audiences. I know it doesn't suit your negative view where we are now but its a fact. As for our home attendances I think we've won 17 home games in 4 years so to even get 35000 average is for me a good achievement as what's on offer is crap. 

Can you show us the source for this because according to the last one I've seen on this subject, albeit for the prev season, we weren't top 10 even in the premier league alone. 

Â