The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He will lose every penny if he keeps buying sports teams that he has no idea how to run, he's already lost half of daddy's fortune and he'll lose a lot more on villa in the coming years. He wont be able to shift a club in freefall from the premierleague and who knows beyond that.

I dont give a shit about Lerner anymore as clearly the feeling is mutual, hope he goes bankrupt and is made to pay for running this club into the ground. I hope nobody turns up on saturday and us fans make a stand and hit Lerner really hard where it really matters to him. 40k fans in that stadium cant make that team score a goal so why bother turning up at all, i'd love to see an empty villa park for a few weeks so they know in no uncertain terms how we feel.

• Like 1

I stopped going after the McLeish season. My thoughts were "if Lerner doesn't care about us fans, why should we give him our money".

He probably earns more in interest per day than I earn in a year. I won't step foot in the stadium until he's gone. Even if he turns it around and makes us Premier League champions.

One of the most inept and ineffective business men I've ever seen. The honeymoon period really did disguise his many many faults didn't it. Those browns fans were right, we should have listened.

Just **** off Randy. No one wants you here anymore. Accept and take the loss to your bank account as payment for your complete lack of understanding of how to run a club, take the loss as payment for employing Alex McLeish, take the loss for employing Paul Faulkener, take the loss for giving Lambert a lengthy new contract after a freak small run of good games, accept the loss and accept any offer that comes in and just **** right off far away from this club before its too late to salvage any small piece of it.

Had you sold last summer you probably could have walked away with some good will left in tact, not now.

**** you Randy.

Edited by Ingram85

The time has come it would seem, hasn't it?

The time when maybe, you'd think Randy would think "This is one step too far".

I don't believe for one second that what has happened, has happened because Randy is a malicious guy, he seems quite genuine and he does seem to like the club.  But liking and wishing a commodity as large as a premier league football team well just isn't enough.  His failings have come about largely because of his disorganisation.  Why have we only recently appointed a CEO/CCO?  Our scouting network has only really been available for the past 18 months.  We've lost 2 coaches due to bullying, and not replaced them and left a guy in charge who I think is giving everything but is still coming up short.  What kind of a company would do that? 

A managers role is quite broad now-a-days.  You'll often hear managers saying they don't spend much time on the training ground due to other commitments - so where does our situation, with no assistant/first team coach (who isn't a goalkeeper) leave us?

I think what has happened has been a gamble.  I think Lerner has gambled over the last couple of seasons on the safety of Aston Villa, a club with a history of 141 years.  A gamble with a club who has never been out of the sacred Premier League since its birth.  And with all of the money involved now, going down would be a huge kick in the teeth. 

It's also scary for its fans.  I have never known Villa outside of the top division, to me, it seems unfathomable that Aston Villa could be in the 2nd league.. There are many who have known these times, but I can only talk about it from my point of view.

So back to Lerner, a guy who has gambled with a clubs survivals for the 4th straight year.  It's unforgivable to me what he has done.  He doesn't seem to be running us as a business, it's obvious his interest in how we were doing has waned since Martin O'Neill left and since then has appeared to cruise through a few managers, new (bad) records being broken, falling attendances, lower and lower points totals, closer flirtation with relegation and he still doesn't do anything.

What could he have done?  Well, he could have changed the manager or he could have backed the manager, he's done neither.  We've had the lowest summer spend for a couple of years now, with a few players earning a fortune from previous managers poor contract negotiations.  We've been stuck in the mud with players with no resale value, players who are too inconsistent or players who are cheap gambles that just haven't paid off. 

We've been poorly run since he's gotten here.  Overspending on players that we will recoup nothing from (Bent, Beye, Given, N'Zog etc etc etc), gambling on getting 4th, selling good youngsters for peanuts (Cahill) and now gambling on our Premier League survival whilst he tries to sell the club (or is he even trying to sell the club?!).

Frankly, it's not an acceptable way of treating an entity with 141 years of history.  141 years of history, passed down from generation to generation, memories made and kept for a lifetime by the folks that have walked through those doors, to see that football pitch.  The highs and lows that go with football - being gambled by one person.  Imagine that?  One bloke from Cleveland can have such an affect on a football club in Brum that's been around for 141 years...

Incredible.

He has simply got to do something - now.  Not just for his pocket, but for the people who this club matters to.  This post may seem a bit emotionally driven, and it probably is, and I know that whatever happens, Aston Villa will still exist, we will still play football next year, the ground, the team, the colours and most of the fans will stick around.  But my frustration is at how appallingly bad the club has been managed by ONE man for the last 8 years.  How much more luck does/did he expect to fall into?

I feel for the fans who go up, I feel for the fans who have a real emotional attachment to the club, I really do, because as fans - we're in a completely helpless situation.

We can only hope Lerner has that bit extra luck up his sleeve, in order to get us to the summer.. But then what?

• Like 3

As others have said. I can only imagine behind the scenes nobody is willing to tell Lerner how serious this is. They are probably just reassuring him they know what they are doing. Lets face it Fox/Lambert are a team, they are geographically detached from the owner so anything bad reflects on both of them.

I can honestly imagine the scene to be totally blasé, the reality of relegation will not have been planned for nor conceived. We were still farting around with the CCO rather than looking for an assistant. That is simply the level of importance our board have placed on having the correct coaching structure.

It'll be simply the same as any middle of the road company (I know, I've worked for some). Lerner will put all the responsibility on Fox, who (with his branding/marketing experience) will have said that the only way for Villa to grow is to improve our marketability i.e. better football. This was then passed down to Lambert who tries to carry it out but he's a) clearly not capable of the coaching side and  B) he's not backed properly  in the transfer market to buy the right players not backed with his backroom staff.

Meanwhile we're shuffling the chairs on the titanic (board room) to improve said marketability. I'm sure the actual footballing side of things is a very distant priority. Like in the real world where it's all about showing face to shareholders to breed confidence and keep the share price high, this is the same but to Lerner and protecting his investment.

Edited by Djemba_Villan
  • Like 1

That song, Too Many Clowns, has quite appropriate opening lyrics:

So play the game, we're all beginners.
Stand by the flame, there'll be no winners.
No preacher here, will answer your questions.
They'll run in fear, at some suggestions.

Sums up the Villa's current plight pretty well.

The time has come it would seem, hasn't it?

The time when maybe, you'd think Randy would think "This is one step too far".

I don't believe for one second that what has happened, has happened because Randy is a malicious guy, he seems quite genuine and he does seem to like the club.  But liking and wishing a commodity as large as a premier league football team well just isn't enough.  His failings have come about largely because of his disorganisation.  Why have we only recently appointed a CEO/CCO?  Our scouting network has only really been available for the past 18 months.  We've lost 2 coaches due to bullying, and not replaced them and left a guy in charge who I think is giving everything but is still coming up short.  What kind of a company would do that? 

A managers role is quite broad now-a-days.  You'll often hear managers saying they don't spend much time on the training ground due to other commitments - so where does our situation, with no assistant/first team coach (who isn't a goalkeeper) leave us?

I think what has happened has been a gamble.  I think Lerner has gambled over the last couple of seasons on the safety of Aston Villa, a club with a history of 141 years.  A gamble with a club who has never been out of the sacred Premier League since its birth.  And with all of the money involved now, going down would be a huge kick in the teeth. 

A genuine man who likes the club as long as he regains every penny he put in even if it means we get relegated?

A genuine man who likes the club as long as he regains every penny he put in even if it means we get relegated?

I wasn't speaking from a financial point of view, I was speaking as the actual guy.  At some point he must have liked Aston Villa, I bet he hates those two words now, but I don't believe for one second that Randy Lerner bought Villa with the premise of making us crap.

Don't confuse professional ineptitude with an actual persons personality/make up.

I'd like to think that if / when he watches the 'highlights' of the game to find out what the score was, some time later in the week, after a long breakfast, after horse riding or buying a boat, he'll be so upset that we lost that he'll endeavour to form a think tank to decide whether to form a committee to consider commissioning a talent scout to advise on interviews for the position of assistant manager.

Then, fully satisfied he has acted as supreme dynamic leader of Aston Villa Soccer Franchise, he will set his mind back to the pressing matters of the day, to what shape is the best shape for paper airplanes.

As an overseas supporter,can I ask.How much will Lerner lose if we get relegated ? I mean there are parachute payments for 3 seasons ( I dont know how much that is worth ) How much will he lose in TV money ? Obviously gate money will go down and possibly advertising revenue as well and the Premier League is a richer league as well.

So, the question is, how much ?

As an overseas supporter,can I ask.How much will Lerner lose if we get relegated ? I mean there are parachute payments for 3 seasons ( I dont know how much that is worth ) How much will he lose in TV money ? Obviously gate money will go down and possibly advertising revenue as well and the Premier League is a richer league as well.

Taking everything into consideration, a years tv money, loss of sales, tickets, the general lower value of the club going down it would easily be 200m+ imo.

The minimum earned from the TV deal is £100mill, but replaced by parachute payments of £16mill.

Commercial income might lose £2-4 million, gate money might not suffer as there are more games to play in the Championship, merchandising and other stuff maximum loss of £1mill.

So total lost in season 1 would be between £85-£110mill.

The big issue is if you don't come straight back up - it gets harder year on year to get promoted. 

and when you do get back, its much harder for a promoted club to stay in the Premier League as the other teams have moved on with £100mill from the year before invested.

and if you're not back in the Premier league for the 2016/17 season when the new TV deal kicks in...  then all hope is lost. 

The difference then will be at least £150m per season.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

I still dont fully understand why all the crap clubs at the botton of the table (ourselves included) didn't spend bigger during January. It's almost as if a pact was agreed. You would have expected at least one QPR/Cardiff-like team to go out and spend £20-30m to try to ensure safety.

In a weird way, maybe our approach of not panicking and 'ploughing on' with pretty much the same XI has been copied by those around us.

Â