The Randy Lerner thread

CI

You see momo this is the problem supporters on mass don't get it!

Every other club gets pretty much the same TV money and mostly the same sort of gate revenue. The gate revenue used to be a big part of a clubs budget but now its a pittance compared to the TV revenue.

The meat is in sponsorship and merchandising THAT is the big difference between us and the rest.

From where I am sitting, I can't see that the increased TV revenue has made it to our club budget.

How much do you think we pay out in wages and the general day to day things at Villa over the year?

Season ticket sales and ticket sales would normally pay for 1/4 of what we spend over the year imo, tv revenue and sponsorship helps pay for the rest.

Tv revenue has risen, season ticket sales this season would have fallen a lot. The tv revenue will help more in areas that tickets sales cannot this year.

I think we pay peanuts in wages.

You see momo this is the problem supporters on mass don't get it!

Every other club gets pretty much the same TV money and mostly the same sort of gate revenue. The gate revenue used to be a big part of a clubs budget but now its a pittance compared to the TV revenue.

The meat is in sponsorship and merchandising THAT is the big difference between us and the rest.

From where I am sitting, I can't see that the increased TV revenue has made it to our club budget.

How much do you think we pay out in wages and the general day to day things at Villa over the year?

Season ticket sales and ticket sales would normally pay for 1/4 of what we spend over the year imo, tv revenue and sponsorship helps pay for the rest.

Tv revenue has risen, season ticket sales this season would have fallen a lot. The tv revenue will help more in areas that tickets sales cannot this year.

I think we pay peanuts in wages.

I would say our wage bill is a lot lower than when MON was here, but it's still high compared to other clubs around where we've been finishing the last 3 seasons.

Not that we should be comparing ourselves to those clubs, but it makes you kinda sick inside when you see how much more we pay our players and finishing in those positions.

Surely we bring in more than we've spent the last few years? I still struggle to see how so many average teams seem to be able to outspend us.

Aren't we playing catch up from previous seasons though? You know when we've been 50mil in the red or whatnot....Wouldn't that 50 mil have to be paid off the next season, thus putting us in the red yet again the season after and so on....I'm pretty crap with company goings on, but I would think at some point those "in the red" numbers have to be paid off.

what villa spend does not match the clubs size,

this club these days cannot compete with lesser club sizes,even west brom have signed lescott ffs.the money is going somewhere else but not on players,its the only established prem club not given a prem budget.

this club these days cannot compete with lesser club sizes,even west brom have signed lescott ffs.the money is going somewhere else but not on players,its the only established prem club not given a prem budget.

That's not right though is it? We have consistently out spent WBA just because we wouldn't pay Lescott what he wanted doesn't mean anything. We was one of the heaviest spenders up until 4 years ago and even when cutting back we still spent about £20m a summer. We have signed 3 players so far and seem to be after a few more. How many have other clubs signed? We had to cut the wage bill as it was at a stupid % to turnover I believe that has been sorted so in fact we will have a lot more room to manoeuvre this summer than any in the last 3.

I simply think a lot of fans don't realise the limitations of FFP, that we have been making losses until this season and the difference in revenue for not being in the CL, and small merchandising/sponsorship revenue.

It can only change two ways...

1. Someone comes in with stupid wealth aka PSG doesn't care about the fines gets all the big players in sponsorship and merchandising follows - He then pays the massive fines and eventually is ffp compliant.

That is a massive ask and isn't going to happen.

2. We build from the ground up. Spend minimal amounts on players and wages and 'buy' youth at the ages of say 14 and up, get some of the best scouts around blood them to sell to other clubs and hopefully become a big club 10 or 15 years down the line.

More likely but very difficult to do.

For me the boat was missed to organically grow under Ellis and the boat to force growth through spending was missed under Lerner.

I think a lot of us appreciate FFP but also at the same time we've seen our club operate on a championship level with regards to the wages we offer to new signings.

I don't think FFP is a valid reason to justify the way the clubs been run in recent years. Last year there were reports that our financial situation was sorted and we were no longer making a loss, so surely we should be able to invest a decent amount this summer without Lerner having to dip into his pockets.

Yes at around the figure of spending 20m this year on players/wages.

I have no idea what our budget is..........

I do know 3.3m x 22 is 72.6m and that is if we just pay the average wage to our squad never mind buying players and all the running costs.

The whole situation stinks.

I think a lot of us appreciate FFP but also at the same time we've seen our club operate on a championship level with regards to the wages we offer to new signings.

I don't think FFP is a valid reason to justify the way the clubs been run in recent years. Last year there were reports that our financial situation was sorted and we were no longer making a loss, so surely we should be able to invest a decent amount this summer without Lerner having to dip into his pockets.

Not when he is struggling to recoup his investment!

That's not right though is it? We have consistently out spent WBA just because we wouldn't pay Lescott what he wanted doesn't mean anything. We was one of the heaviest spenders up until 4 years ago and even when cutting back we still spent about £20m a summer. We have signed 3 players so far and seem to be after a few more. How many have other clubs signed? We had to cut the wage bill as it was at a stupid % to turnover I believe that has been sorted so in fact we will have a lot more room to manoeuvre this summer than any in the last 3.

avfc now.. as you say "we was one of the ...), them days are gone.. villa need a defender of quality,we were linked to some top names in the summer,lescott was one then we sign senderos, lescott has just won the league compared to a relegated senderos-fact

avfc are one of 40 richest clubs on the planet,the whole club generates millions,however the team budget does not match the size of the club,the word is 10m this season etc,no matter who is charge,this club did 81m  2012/13 http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-news/tv-deals-put-villa-albion-6553678 ..the maths do not add up

Season ticket low sales talk makes this simple spend some cash or watch your investment go up in smoke lerner we need to get some quality into the side and that will cost alittle. The choice is yours randy our squad at moment wont set the world alight

We charge some of the lowest prices in the league and never sell out. We can't be that well off.

tv money..the whole clubs makes £££ ,shirts etc.. its a whole package,the tv £ rises every year but the wages & stock of player drops,

if the truth to be known villa tv figures are poor,if you had to watch villa on a pay-per-view system they would be knackered,you dont get any more money if you field a top side its just part of the wheel that shows all the teams,villa are just happy with being a cog in the wheel

Ive never felt this low as a villa fan, you see so many other teams buying quality players and we get joe cole and senderose...

I just want to SCREAM!

It is shit mate. Hopefully better days ahead for us, fingers crossed.

Ive never felt this low as a villa fan, you see so many other teams buying quality players and we get joe cole and senderose...

I just want to SCREAM!

The Man Utd deal yesterday was the final straw. We missed the train long ago and I don't see what owner who could make it right. If we just hadn't bought Heskey in that window  :(

• Like 3

I just want to SCREAM!

The Man Utd deal yesterday was the final straw. We missed the train long ago and I don't see what owner who could make it right. If we just hadn't bought Heskey in that window  :(

Exactly, that is one of my biggest gripes, and always will be! It could have been so much different had we only gotten quality in that window!

but at that time when mon was after a striker,harry would not sell us bent, heskey was 3m? 

this thread is about RL.. my question is the sums do not add up? this club is turning over 60-80m a season but 10m is on playing staff,take wages 40m that leaves errrrrr alot not invested in better players,

AVFC has the 7th or 8th biggest seating stadium in the league, with regular gates 70-80% full.. that alone & tv money should get 20-30m every year for the manager, yet this year 10m..something wrong

Â