The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Because I'm daft I just googled Riyadh, Saudi Arabia billionaire and it came up with some guy who was linked with a takeover of Everton lol, I best not get my hopes up.

(Yes I realise thats like googling billionaire The Hamptons New York and coming up with any random name :))

I could start a rumour because a big expensive private jet arrived at BHX Saturday late morning and departed not long after the game finished. I don't know where it came from, but it departed to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It's owned by a charter company, so no clues there.

May have been related, may not, who knows?!

What would the rumour be? He came to meet Randy and then realised B6 was the last place he would find him? :)

I could start a rumour because a big expensive private jet arrived at BHX Saturday late morning and departed not long after the game finished. I don't know where it came from, but it departed to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It's owned by a charter company, so no clues there.

What would the rumour be? He came to meet Randy and then realised B6 was the last place he would find him? :)

indeed.Probably just a tyre kicker.......

• Like 1

Because I'm daft I just googled Riyadh, Saudi Arabia billionaire and it came up with some guy who was linked with a takeover of Everton lol, I best not get my hopes up.

(Yes I realise thats like googling billionaire The Hamptons New York and coming up with any random name :))

To be fair my friend, if you are googling for billionaires in the Saudi capital you are, in the nicest possible way, living up to your VT name ;)

Edited by thetrees
  • Like 1

To be fair my friend, if you are googling for billionaires in the Saudi capital you are, in the nicest possible way, living up to your VT name ;)

(Yes I realise thats like googling billionaire The Hamptons New York and coming up with any random name :( )

Edited by useless

Surely if he were to be gone in the summer, we'd have had more of an incling than just a few twitter rumours??

Selling a Premier League club can't be done overnight on a handshake - it must take months to arrange?

we won't be sold in the summer just people making stuff up on twitter

Not at all, he does want to sell. As for it being just twitter, it isn't, and there are possible interested parties who would be good for us, but the asking price and terms might not be right. Not everything on twitter is bullshit, although that avfctranstweet is a bandwagon jumper.

Yep, 

If they cant afford their own personal jet and have to hire a chartered company’s one then they can bog off back to where they came from :)

• Like 2

I think you are looking at the exception and deciding it proves the rule.

It doesn't.

Everton have consistently out performed us over the whole of the lerner tenure by employing good managers in for the long term and having a consistent transfer policy. It's not a fluke Everton are where they are, it's good management at Board level. If Everton can consistently finish top 6 there is no reason we can't with a good knowledgeable board. Mega bucks don't guarantee success brains do!  

They had moyes for 10yrs - who are these other long term managers?

It is somewhat galling that the second biggest team in a city about half the size of Birmingham, playing in a clapped out if somewhat atmospheric ground, owned by a former coronation street actor, can appear to be light years ahead of us. Why and how this occurred could be talked about for hours.  

Everton are successful because they stuck with a manager long enough to develop a coherent squad. They picked a manager who had been successful in the lower leagues and stuck with him even when it looked like he might relegate them in the early years. They continued to give him steady backing season after season until he had a full squad all working to the same plan and pulling in the same direction.

Their owner spent modestly, only paying wages and transfer fees the club could afford but the key to their success was the stability they had, not changing managers every few seasons and starting from scratch with each new manager.  

• Like 3

Everton are successful because they stuck with a manager long enough to develop a coherent squad. They picked a manager who had been successful in the lower leagues and stuck with him even when it looked like he might relegate them in the early years. They continued to give him steady backing season after season until he had a full squad all working to the same plan and pulling in the same direction.

Their owner spent modestly, only paying wages and transfer fees the club could afford but the key to their success was the stability they had, not changing managers every few seasons and starting from scratch with each new manager.  

If the key to success is stability, then McLeish should rightly still be at the helm.

If, by chance, you disagree - then there must be something more than just stability that brings success.

If the key to success is stability, then McLeish should rightly still be at the helm.

If, by chance, you disagree - then there must be something more than just stability that brings success.

I never said it was to only key, that's would be silly. You could get any person in and then just wait for them to come good if that were the case.

There needs to be demonstrated success before, Moyes had done well with Preston so Kenwright was willing to stick with him even though he didn't progress forward every season. Some seasons he even finished lower than the season before, but the owner believed in his ability enough to not pull the trigger on him and they are now enjoying the success of that approach.

It is somewhat galling that the second biggest team in a city about half the size of Birmingham, playing in a clapped out if somewhat atmospheric ground, owned by a former coronation street actor, can appear to be light years ahead of us. Why and how this occurred could be talked about for hours.

It just shows the incredible opportunity that was missed by hanging on to O'Neill. The day that we got tanked by Wigan on the season opener was the sign that should have been taken and acted upon. It wasn't, and the rest is sad history.

Who was the Wigan manager that day?

• Like 1

There needs to be demonstrated success before,

McLeish had a top half prem finish and a league cup to his name.
But a large section of fans didn't give him a chance from the start, because he came from sha. It's difficult to build something without the full fanbase behind you.

But a large section of fans didn't give him a chance from the start, because he came from sha. It's difficult to build something without the full fanbase behind you.

Do you think McLeish would have built something?

When people make the Moyes comparison they love to point out that 2nd year 17th place but really skip over that first year when he finished 7th and won the LMA manager of the year award. Its that kind of thing that gives fans patience during a period of struggle.

Do you think McLeish would have built something?
No I don't, but had he been given a proper chance, without fans being on his back, he could have done better, and who knows what that could have lead to. As you rightly pointed out, he won the league cup.

Some people will find all this incredibly hard to understand.  

Some people will find all this incredibly hard to understand.

So like asked earlier did you want McLeish to stay?

Â