The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I thought about a year into his regime - Lerner said the north stand position was under review - but would only be developed if it was really needed - ie the ground was packed out.

It would be a major surprise for me - if any major ground redevopment takes place in Lerners reign. I don't beleive he has that level of interest any more.

The redevelopment was also necessary to accommodate a museum - which had been promised.

I agree, until Villa start winning trophies there's not going to be the financial return to stimulate any re-development.

It would be a major surprise for me - if any major ground redevopment takes place in Lerners reign. I don't beleive he has that level of interest any more.

Pretty much this.

Lerner is only interested in making AVFC into a self sufficient entity that he doesnt have to finance or devote any more time to than is strictly necessary. I dont doubt there was a time when the North stand was on Lerner's agenda as some kind of legacy, but I dont believe he'd sink money into a project like this whilst we're still hemorrhaging money on an annual basis.

We need to remove a few more high earners - i think it will be more of a Newcastle model!

I am glad you said a *few* - because I think this becoming a villa myth - ie we have a load of players on the payroll earning megabucks.....In my opionion we have

Bent - reportedly £65k per week - and worth every penny

Gabby - ditto bent

Heskey - between 50-65k - not worth it

Ireland - 50-65k - no justifying it

Beye - 50k - nuff said

maybe petrov as well - the figures don't matter to much - but basically we have ireland and Beye on big wages who aren't making the team. Big though there wages are - taking them off the payroll won't be a financial new dawn for us.

We need to remove a few more high earners - i think it will be more of a Newcastle model!

I am glad you said a *few* - because I think this becoming a villa myth - ie we have a load of players on the payroll earning megabucks.....In my opionion we have

Gabby - ditto bent

Beye - 50k - nuff said

maybe petrov as well - the figures don't matter to much - but basically we have ireland and Beye on big wages who aren't making the team. Big though there wages are - taking them off the payroll won't be a financial new dawn for us.

I agree but £150-200k per week to spend on wages could mean 4,5 or 6 players if spent correctly or allowing us to increase salaries of some players we have already to keep them at the club.

Going abroad, picking up players for £5-6m on £30k a week is definitely the model they want to follow.

We had a period of spending further beyond our means than perhaps any other club. We tried to get into the cash cow that is the CL, we just missed out. I think as a result our income didn't grow as much as projected and cut backs need to be made. I don't think we've willingly let any of our best players go.
So after years saying "At least we're not Leeds" we find out that we actually are.
You think we're like Leeds?

We had a period of spending further beyond our means than perhaps any other club. We tried to get into the cash cow that is the CL, we just missed out. I think as a result our income didn't grow as much as projected and cut backs need to be made. I don't think we've willingly let any of our best players go.
So after years saying "At least we're not Leeds" we find out that we actually are.

I feel this is worthy of a Manuelesque Que?

Gabby - ditto bent

Beye - 50k - nuff said

I agree but £150-200k per week to spend on wages could mean 4,5 or 6 players if spent correctly or allowing us to increase salaries of some players we have already to keep them at the club.

Going abroad, picking up players for £5-6m on £30k a week is definitely the model they want to follow.

never really works though - look at Makoun. I think you need a mix and match policy . How we were assured that young, downing, milner were over the top fees - yet we doubled our money ?

Whoever they buy it will be another nail in the coffin for the PL and football in general in my view.

Or another step towards all the clubs being owned by foreign multi-billionaires. That's probably the easiest way to achieve parity, at this point...

So, back on topic like, where is Randy then?

Keeping a low profile as ever. Mind you MM did say he was going talk to the media in the near future. Assuming that is true I for one would love to hear what he thinks, straight from the horses mouth as it were.

The funny thing is he seems in many fans to have gone from hero to zero. In the early days when MON was manager and the General was posting on here he was held out as the model foreign owner. It seems such a long time ago.

Keeping a low profile as ever. Mind you MM did say he was going talk to the media in the near future. Assuming that is true I for one would love to hear what he thinks, straight from the horses mouth as it were.

The funny thing is he seems in many fans to have gone from hero to zero. In the early days when MON was manager and the General was posting on here he was held out as the model foreign owner. It seems such a long time ago.

Oh it will be an interview with the Sutton Observer and he will talk about his favorite colour or something totally irrelevant like they normally do. Remember the General claim at the start of the season about huge announcements etc. turned out to be a damp squib!

I think the actions of the Board over the past 12 months have shown us all exactly what they think of the fan on the terrace?

Flying around the world in his new yet trying to find a buyer probably.

To be honest I'm not sure he is any more absent than he has ever been it is just more noticable these days and more concerning because of the direction we are heading as a club.

He has got a tattoo though so things should be fine.

To be honest I'm not sure he is any more absent than he has ever been it is just more noticable these days and more concerning because of the direction we are heading as a club.

i wish people would shut up about this, it got boring a year ago.

You think we're like Leeds?
Look at your original quote that I commented on. Look at what you are saying.

There you have explained perfectly what happened to Leeds really. They spent vast amounts at the time, well above their means chasing the dream. They managed it once but found it was unsutainable consequently they had to sladh and burn

Now maybe we did not reach the highs Leeds did (in terms of success and spending) and maybe we will be lucky enough to avoid the lows (who knows) but in terms of what you have said happened there, it is exactly like what happened with Leeds

Was it boring when the general mentioned it when people questioned randy!?

Was it boring when the general mentioned it when people questioned randy!?

Yes

Â