The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Seen on the SSN app that the daily mirror reporting that Lerner isn't looking to sell, but is instead looking for fund-raising ideas to help the club.

Maybe he could bake some muffins and set up a wallpaper paste table on Witton Lane.

Don't forget the lemonade stand!

As much as I would like Villa Park to have a swanky new North Stand, which would make it without doubt one of the best grounds in the country, there is really no demand for it at present. One day perhaps- but we need investment and progression on the pitch first.

I do agree. 

But lack of present demand isn't really a reason not to build it. It would be a very very long term investment.

Compare it to, say, Coventry's plans to build a new stadium. I believe it's supposed to be a 25,000 seater.

Their current attendances are about a third of that.

But i would be silly to only plan to accommodate 8,000 fans because that's current demand for such a long term project.

So yes I do agree that we don't have the current demand, and you would think the money could be better spent investing in the squad. But, that doesn't meanthat if plans went ahead and we did expand the North Stand that it would be such a crazy idea.

• Like 2

But lack of present demand isn't really a reason not to build it. It would be a very very long term investment.

I would say that having to put up with the shit players we have at the club - having to make do with one half decent centre half, and having seen the spending cuts we have over the past five year - to then see Lerner spunk money at a stand which is not currently needed half as much as playing reinforcements will be a huge kick in the teeth to supporters of the club.

I would say that having to put up with the shit players we have at the club - having to make do with one half decent centre half, and having seen the spending cuts we have over the past five year - to then see Lerner spunk money at a stand which is not currently needed half as much as playing reinforcements will be a huge kick in the teeth to supporters of the club.

and you would think the money could be better spent investing in the squad. 

Seen on the SSN app that the daily mirror reporting that Lerner isn't looking to sell, but is instead looking for fund-raising ideas to help the club.

No quotes, not even an 'anonymous source'.

File this under stuff the tabloids have just made up to fill pages on a slow news day.

No quotes, not even an 'anonymous source'.

File this under stuff the tabloids have just made up to fill pages on a slow news day.

You can literally follow the warped tabloid BS logic to it:

"Hmmm Randy Lerner hasnt invested much in Villa lately....HEADLINE: LERNER LOOKING TO SELL VILLA!"

"Hmmm well the club have put a statement out totally rejecting that theory....HEADLINE: LERNER BROKE AND LOOKING FOR FUNDS!"

Out of interest if the club were to be taken over what sort of owner would people be hoping for? I believe a club with knowledgeable footballing people on the board and a good annual sustainable cash injection for transfers wages etc can succeed at the top, top half of the league that being 6th,7th,8th. I do wonder how many people would want (dream) of a man city style sheik running our club? I've spoken to a lot of fans in the past (not just villa) who say they wouldn't want that for there club, how many of them say that out of jealousy i don't know. I personally wouldn't have a problem seeing some of the best players in the world running around in the claret and blue and us competing with Europe's elite at the expense of a rich oil sheik owning us.

• Like 2

I would imagine Lerner sits at home every night crying at a photo of MON for what he wasted on him

He could be like me and using the photo as a dart board.

The bitter little man... (yes, the irony there is ironic... I really am bitter too).

Actually, an example of just how bitter I can be (lol) was a few years back when we lost a League Cup semi-final to Bolton Wanderers when Square Head was in charge of them. After a horror show first leg away, we gave a good account of ourselves back home and very, very nearly turned it around.

Anyway, such is my disdain for that very, very bad (nothing's ever his fault) loser Square Head, I used a full page sized photo of him (his smug, puffy cheeked grinning mug) taken on the build up to the final as published in one of the red tops and cellotaped it to one of the cupboards in my office at work.

Each day, or at least when I was in need of venting my wrath, I would beat his photograph with a wooden ruler.

So yeah, I hope Randolph does something similar... :P  ;)

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

I would imagine Lerner sits at home every night crying at a photo of MON for what he wasted on him

He could be like me and using the photo as a dart board.

The bitter little man... (yes, the irony there is ironic... I really am bitter too)

there's nothing wrong with being a little bitter, Im a bitter little man myself

• Like 1

Aston Villa distance themselves from reports claiming owner Randy Lerner is looking to sell the club. It has been suggested that Lerner is looking to recoup a figure of around £200m for the club he bought in 2006 for £62.6m. The American has spent £250m on players and upgrading facilities.

But quoted in the Express and Star, chief executive Paul Falkner says: "I can categorically confirm Aston Villa Football Club has absolutely not been put up for sale and that Randy Lerner is not actively looking to sell the club."

as said before I dont think their is people looking to buy. Everton are much more desirable at the moment and have not had an offer since the billionaires came in. mainly people willing to buy clubs at the moment are owners who are not very good for their clubs.

as said before I dont think their is people looking to buy. Everton are much more desirable at the moment and have not had an offer since the billionaires came in. mainly people willing to buy clubs at the moment are owners who are not very good for their clubs.

On the pitch, yes I completely agree that Everton are a more desirable proposition. However, off the pitch, any potential new owner knows that they'd also need to build them a brand new stadium which seriously racks up the investment, so therefore Everton probably aren't as desirable as us in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why we have no youth players coming through? We have one of the best training facilities in the country and have yielded nothing but Championship exports - and then we BUY championship players? This doesn't make any sense to me. Why buy Ashley Westwood when we should be able to make one? Isn't that the idea of a youth team? Mold players to what the club needs? If the comment is RL cutting his costs and is still not selling the club then what are we doing with our development? How can you say that a Crewe player is worth buying over our whole youth team? 
So very confused. 
  • Like 3

Â