The Randy Lerner thread

CI

No way would any serious businessmen inject cash without control.

Too many people clinging on to the hope that the club will be sold, and therefore prepared to believe anything.

Interesting that we bought Stilian Petrov on 30 August 2006 but Lerner did not take effective control until 18th / 19th September

It's based on total revenue so it'll be the TV money plus the club's other income streams.

So yes and no.

But surely going from out the top 30 into the top 20 would show its all down to the increased TV revenue making all the difference.

Mate, it's total revenue which includes all revenue streams. If our revenue from everything else other than TV was zero, then we'd be nowhere near the top 30 (or top 20).

Not all PL clubs are going to make the top twenty next year despite the extra TV money. We might not either, but I guess it's just an educated guess by someone at Deloitte.

Too many people clinging on to the hope that the club will be sold, and therefore prepared to believe anything.

Interesting that we bought Stilian Petrov on 30 August 2006 but Lerner did not take effective control until 18th / 19th September

I think that you will find that contracts were signed and binding in that case.

Of course, if there are signed binding contracts now, then maybe some cash will be injected, but the time lapse between now and the summer is quite long.

Richard that is not correct. He became the majority shareholder on 25th August with almost 60% of the shares. So he had "effective control" before Petrov was signed. He didn't acquire "full control" till around 18/19 September and remaining shareholders had to sell up.

I have no clue why Lambert took this job if lerner is indeed going to sell up. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Okay, so let's just say Lerner is selling up in the summer. How would Lambert have known that two years ago? If Lerner sells and had been planning it when he hired Lambert do you really think he would have told Lambert this when he hired him? No! 

"Hi, Paul. I'm Randy Lerner. I want you to become the new manager. I've got a 5 year plan for what I want us to achieve together but I'm **** off half way through it. Sound good, Paul?"

The fact is none of us know! It's all opinions, rumours and guesswork.

For all we know, Lerner has no intention on selling. Over the last few years, all of this money slashing could have been his way of learning from his mistakes and getting things in order before "we go again" but under a more controlled manner. When I say controlled manner I'm talking about not pissing big wages up the wall on the Habib Beye's etc and only paying bigger fees and wages for players that are actually going to be invaluable to the first team. 

It's unlikely, I know, but, we don't know that. If that's the case and he is ready to "go again" then I wouldn't be too bothered if he stays. If he isn't going to give it another go though then it's time to go so that someone else can have a crack at it! We can't go on like this. Either way, whether it is under Lerner or not, things need to change!

• Like 1

Houllier had already denied Red Bull were interested in a Premier League team anyway, this is just more specific to Villa and comes from a more reliable source. Someone will buy us just not Red Bull, It's just a case of when, who and why.

• Like 4

Â