Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Any good young German CB's available in our price range that remember and respect Lambert from his time in Germany? :)  

He left Germany 16 years ago, doubt many of them centre backs will remember him ;)

So, any good, say 19 year old CBs that Lambert knew would now be 35 ?! 

I think we are in for more of the same.

The last 3 games sum up our season for me.

Beat Sunderland 6-1 lose to Chelski 1-2 and draw with the team that finished 18th 

Did you leave out the 2-1 win away to norwich on purpose to make your argument better, or did you just forget it?

Also ignoring certain contextual factors such as the player who scored a hattrick in the Sunderland game, being sent off in the Chelsea game and not playing in the Wigan game. 

• Like 1

Any good young German CB's available in our price range that remember and respect Lambert from his time in Germany? :)  

He left Germany 16 years ago, doubt many of them centre backs will remember him ;)

So, any good, say 19 year old CBs that Lambert knew would now be 35 ?! 

I meant they would have been kids when he played there but they would remember him from back in the day and followed his progress since, noting he got his badges in Germany and likes to play 'German style'. Didn't realise it was that long ago though.

The point I am trying to make is that IMO we have not moved on at all, and I would not be surprised if next season was similar to this one ( only time will tell ) 

We had a big win, a narrow defeat and lost to the team that finished 18th.......Is that not how our season went ?

As for Benteke not bieng avaiable for the Wigan game, if we cant beat a team like Wigan with or without him then we are in trouble next term.

IMO 

The point I am trying to make is that IMO we have not moved on at all, and I would not be surprised if next season was similar to this one ( only time will tell ) 

We had a big win, a narrow defeat and lost to the team that finished 18th.......Is that not how our season went ?

As for Benteke not bieng avaiable for the Wigan game, if we cant beat a team like Wigan with or without him then we are in trouble next term.

IMO 

If you can't see how we've moved on, when everything points to the fact that we have then I feel for you.

If anything the 3 games you use weaken your argument. We beat a relegation rival in a hugely pressured game that we would have lost earlier in the season, Lost narrowly to one of the best teams in the league after deserving to win and we drew with Wigan (who wanted to go out with a bang) without really getting out of 1st gear.

IMO 

we didnt lose to Wigan

From our last 19 games in the league under Lambert we took 23 points, from our last 19 games under McLeish we took 15 points. This is from the 3-0 loss at home to Wigan, so they are included twice at the expense of Spurs who are not included at all. When you look at the games after the Wigan one you see how many points it could have been:

(1) Swansea 2-2 - last minute goal cost us all 3

(1) Southampton 1-0 - a penalty that never should have been given.

(2) WBA 2-2 - another game where we should have had all 3 wrapped up.

(2) Newcastle 2-1 - could easily have got a draw out of this

(3) Everton 2-2 - another game we let valuable points slip

(6) West Ham 2-1 - took a late free kick from N'Zogbia to wrap up the 3 points

(6) Arsenal 2-1 - another late goal cost us a point

(6) Man City 1-0 - Blunder from Clark on stroke of half time gifted city the lead

(9) Reading 2-1 - showed great courage to come back from the own goal to take the lead 15mins later in a must win game

(12) QPR 3-2 - again came back from going behind and bossed 2nd half in another 6 pointer

(12) Liverpool 2-1 - could have got all 3 here, baker's mistake, gerrards brilliance, and our inability to convert cost us

(15) Stoke 3-1 - after holding onto a lead for the longest in ages Stoke were level and up stepped Lowton to save our season!

(16) Fulham 1-1 - bossed the game and Fulham didnt manage a shot on goal should have been all 3

(16) United 3-0 - 3 offside goals in a game that was always going to be tough played well in 2nd half when utd took foot off

(19) Sunderland 6-1 - again inability to hang onto a lead looked to cost us but was an amazing night

(22) Norwich 2-1 - Gabby came up big when we needed him and Norwich were lucky to get the pen

(22) Chelsea 2-1 - this game should have been put to bed long before Benteke was s/o

(23) Wigan 2-2 - drew final game with nothing to play for

• Like 1

good and wouldnt be hard to disagree with post from Folski, and except from United game we were in every game until the end.

Massive improvement on pre-new year games and its encouraging to see progress has been made

IMO 

Jesus christ  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:

There is nothing I would like better that to be proved wrong on this one BUT the way I see it is that we could not beat Wigan in the first game of the season and we could not beat Wigan 38 games later....FFS how is that an improvement ?

Yes, I know that we lost to Wigan on the first day but changing a loss into a draw is not much of an improvement is it ?!

IMO 

Guess Spurs and Man City are going to struggle next season then.

There is nothing I would like better that to be proved wrong on this one BUT the way I see it is that we could not beat Wigan in the first game of the season and we could not beat Wigan 38 games later....FFS how is that an improvement ?

Yes, I know that we lost to Wigan on the first day but changing a loss into a draw is not much of an improvement is it ?!

Didn't we play Wigan around xmas time? :suspect:

I thought they were the first game of the season ?

It does`ent really matter when we played them, the point is that our improvement went from losing 1-3 to Wigan to drawing with them 

You've already been proved wrong. You just won't look at the proof.

1st half of season, we were 16th. 2nd half we were 9th. Improvement?

1st third, we were 18th. 2nd third, 17th. Final third, 8th. Improvement?

And that team we lost to on the first day was not Wigan, it was West Ham. Guess what we did to them when we met them next? We beat them.

Look, everyone uses the stats available in order to justify their own stance, but objectively we have improved. Whether you choose to see it or not is completely up to you.

• Like 2

You've already been proved wrong. You just won't look at the proof.

1st half of season, we were 16th. 2nd half we were 9th. Improvement?

1st third, we were 18th. 2nd third, 17th. Final third, 8th. Improvement?

And that team we lost to on the first day was not Wigan, it was West Ham. Guess what we did to them when we met them next? We beat them.

Look, everyone uses the stats available in order to justify their own stance, but objectively we have improved. Whether you choose to see it or not is completely up to you.

Like I said " there is nothing I would like better than to be proved wrong" but I still think we have not improved enough.

Remember this post when we are 5-6 games into next season !

we lost 1st time and drew 2nd time.

you do know what improvement is  ;)

Like I said " there is nothing I would like better than to be proved wrong" but I still think we have not improved enough.

Remember this post when we are 5-6 games into next season !

As I said, we choose to see or not see. And if we have proof put in front of us we move the goalposts, or change the deadline. Basically only you can decide when you've been proven wrong, and that depends on how proud you are on here :)

I thought they were the first game of the season ?

It does`ent really matter when we played them, the point is that our improvement went from losing 1-3 to Wigan to drawing with them 

You have literally no point, at all, none.

If your definition of progress is the difference in two results against the same opposition in the same season then it is perhaps one of most illogical arguments I've seen on here.