Paul Lambert

Pilchard

My anger against him has faded a lot, and I find it hard to pin point the exact reason. I do feel we would get in a bigger mess if we were to sack him. I am just hoping that this project will go in our favor in the years to come. Bit unsettling how this is, but for now I have to believe the team will get safe this year rather than focusing my anger on the club itself. I know that if we were to go down, no matter what happens it will be worse than it currently is. It is so absolute that we stay up year. 

Even if we go down I probably wouldn't be actively calling for him to be sacked. Would do more harm than good in our current situation and I dread to think who the board would replace him with.

Don't think I'll ever forgive him for the League Cup SF though.

The only team we have obviously outplayed is Reading. We've taken six points off them, they looked very poor both games. You could make an argument for Swansea as we've taken four points off them and knocked them out the league cup.

Didn't Swansea win the league cup?

• Like 1

Even if we go down I probably wouldn't be actively calling for him to be sacked. Would do more harm than good in our current situation and I dread to think who the board would replace him with.

Try blaming the players who should have been more than good enough to see us win those games.

Try blaming the players who should have been more than good enough to see us win those games.

I never said the players weren't also to blame.

What is it about that season that was so great that we must look at it and wish we were doing the same this season??

Well we survived. That was pretty great and something I'd like to repeat.

The thing is no one is saying last season was great. No one wants us to have a future of football like last season.

Some just disagree with this ridiculous idea that this season is so much better.

I never said the players weren't also to blame.

so you wont forgive them either?

The only team we have obviously outplayed is Reading. We've taken six points off them, they looked very poor both games. You could make an argument for Swansea as we've taken four points off them and knocked them out the league cup. There's not much point trying to make out we're a better side than them though is there.

Last season was dull because we had a lot of draws. We hardly stayed up by the skin of our teeth though. We got sucked into it at the end but we we're safe going into the final day and it really would have taken a fluke set of results over the last 2 weeks to relegate us.

Last season was quite dull and we're setting up in a more positive way this season but it's hardly been free-flowing attacking football. We've had some very dull performances at home.

I think I'm a realist. I don't know if some of you are naturally optimistic, so relieved about getting rid of McLeish that anything is an improvement or it's the euphoria coming off a big win but this argument that things are a lot better this season is wrong on any objective level.

i think by the way that the negative football argument is a fallacy. It's quite possible to play disciplined counter-attacking football that is enjoyable to watch.

I'm afraid I cannot debate with someone who thinks we knocked Swansea out of the league cup, or fails to recognise any other good performance we have given. You keep ignoring the Liverpool game.

In bold, that is a load of tosh - read that back to yourself. We played negative football....end of. There was no counter-attacking football.

Lambert also was to blame for the league cup semi final, by panicking after they scored chucking on every striker he had available at 60 minsand losing all shape in our midfield. The players had no clue where they were playing. Its like he was playing a game of Fifa.

You have to split the blame though.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

I reckon if we'd have been able to take that SF to extra time we'd have gone to Wembley.

The point is, neither party can take entire blame.

They all **** up.

Edited by KjParton

we outplayed Swansea at start of season, WBA as well at Hawthorns arguably we outplayed Arsenal at VP as well and more than held our own vs Man Utd and Everton too

Outplayed? Seriously?

We never outplayed Arsenal at VP, as far as I remember they had the biggest chance by far when Koscielny smashed it over from 5 yards out. It was an equal game where they probably were a bit better in possession as usual, but a deserved draw non the less.

I haven't seen us outplay any team this season, the games we have won have been very tight and excruciating at the end. Both games against Reading, against West Ham, Sunderland etc. At home against Swansea we won 2-0 and deserved it more than them, but it was 1-0 until the 88th minute. Probably our most convincing game though. When we beat West Ham at home they had a huge chance at the end.

All in all we have won away against teams that are woeful at home, and at Villa Park we have won against teams that are woeful away from home.

I'm afraid I cannot debate with someone who thinks we knocked Swansea out of the league cup, or fails to recognise any other good performance we have given. You keep ignoring the Liverpool game.

In bold, that is a load of tosh - read that back to yourself. We played negative football....end of. There was no counter-attacking football.

That was a brainfart on Swansea. I meant Norwich away in the cup. That's the problem with making long posts and not checking but whatever.

Don't debate then. It's painful to debate with people who cherry pick things you say rather than responding to the overall point. I never said McLeish played counter-attacking football because a lot of the time he didn't, he played for draws as I said previously.

It is possiible to play successful defensive football. Chelsea won the champions league this year with pretty negative football, Inter did a few years ago, Greece won the Euros less than ten years ago with an awful team. If people think its more entertaining to concede a record number of goals then okay that's your opinion but it's not mine.

My overall point was a manager should recognise the strengths of the team and pick tactics to suit the players. We should be protecting the defence right now because it is atrocious. That means packing the midfield a bit which is entirely negative. There are a few sides in the league we can go toe to toe with and try and outplay right now by opening the game up but only a few.

That was a brainfart on Swansea. I meant Norwich away in the cup. That's the problem with making long posts and not checking but whatever.

Don't debate then. It's painful to debate with people who cherry pick things you say rather than responding to the overall point. I never said McLeish played counter-attacking football because a lot of the time he didn't, he played for draws as I said previously.

It is possiible to play successful defensive football. Chelsea won the champions league this year with pretty negative football, Inter did a few years ago, Greece won the Euros less than ten years ago with an awful team. If people think its more entertaining to concede a record number of goals then okay that's your opinion but it's not mine.

My overall point was a manager should recognise the strengths of the team and pick tactics to suit the players. We should be protecting the defence right now because it is atrocious. That means packing the midfield a bit which is entirely negative. There are a few sides in the league we can go toe to toe with and try and outplay right now by opening the game up but only a few.

My eyes tell me that this season has seen better football than last.

My eyes tell me that this season has seen better football than last.

Hasn't seen better results though. Plus I agree anyway and if we stay up the young players will have benefited from the experience and we will likely reap the rewards over the next few years, it is a dangerous game we have played this year though.

• Like 2

Actually, we were poor at home against Reading - I got slated on here IIRC for saying our performance was 'dog shit.' I still think it was, and we somehow managed to win the game. So that was great.

We didn't outplay Liverpool at Anfield. I grant you, I wasn't at the game, but the post match stats indicated that we endured a lot of pressure from Liverpool, and I seem to remember MOTD effectively saying we rode our luck and could have been 3-goals down early doors. The same could have been said against Swansea away, where I got the impression we were actually quite lucky to not be out of the game by a country mile before we got our lead.

We certainly didn't outplay Swansea at Villa Park. We just took our chances. It was a great game, and looking back, it felt like end to end stuff.

We were in the game at Stamford Bridge for about ninety seconds, totally outplayed by Spurs and Wigan at home in the space of a week and capitulated in the League Cup Semi.

And I'm a Lambert supporter. We haven't outplayed anybody I don't think... Maybe Tranmere. But we don't have the quality, some of that is Paul's fault... and some of it (the lion's share IMO) is the fault of the owner/custodian. That circular debate rumbles on...

FWIW - Mcliesh was a con artist. He wrote to me (his name at the bottom of the letter I got anyway ftw), specifically telling me it was all rubbish and lies that he set teams up to play shit, negative football. Well, you could have fooled me Alec. Your team here was negative from day one. Houllier was as big a risk, with his obvious health concerns and the fact that we were made to wait for him before he took up formal duty. Same mistake Toon made when they appointed Joe Kinnear. A health scare just waiting to happen.

Up the Villa - let's do QPR.

we outplayed Swansea at start of season, WBA as well at Hawthorns arguably we outplayed Arsenal at VP as well and more than held our own vs Man Utd and Everton too

WBA at the Hawthorns we outplayed for 45 mins, they then outplayed us for the second 45.

Everton game I was at and we counter attacked very effectively, but I seem to remember us having less than 40% possession and them having 3x as many shots as us.

Arsenal game was a 50/50, dull game where the draw was a fair result.

I'd agree we performed well against Swansea, and for 2/3 of the game against Man Utd. The other games I've mentioned above though, I think you're kidding yourself.

We certainly didn't outplay Swansea at Villa Park. We just took our chances. It was a great game, and looking back, it felt like end to end stuff.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything else you posted, but I absolutely disagree with this.

We hammered Swansea at Villa Park. It's our best performance of the season.

Edited by Stevo985

has anyone got a list of all the players Lambert has bought so far and/or their cost?

This is what i can remember:

Benteke - £7m

Vlaar - £4m

Lowton - £3m

El-Ahmadi - £2.5m

Sylla - £2m

Westwood - £2m

Bowery - £0.75m

Bennett - ?

Guzan - free

Dawkins - loan

Have i missed anyone?

Edited by ender4

has anyone got a list of all the players Lambert has bought so far and/or their cost?

This is what i can remember:

Benteke - £7m

Vlaar - £4m

Lowton - £3m

El-Ahmadi - £2.5m

Sylla - £2m

Westwood - £2m

Bowery - £0.75m

Bennett - ?

Guzan - free

Dawkins - loan

Have i missed anyone?

Also which do you think were his first choices? I recall clyne was his first choice RB but we couldn't afford his wages. I think bennet ended up being his 3rd choice.