Paul Lambert

Pilchard

If Lambert manages to keep Villa up what will peoples opinion be?  Will the lambert bashers still want him sacked?

It will take 2-3 years to get the team shaped to his liking, not seven months.

• Like 1

No, I think there still will be questions. Even if we were to go on a winning spree, I would still feel very insecure about how we would perform next season. A lot of relies on who we can bring in the summer, we need some known names, and I mean it. Basically, I don`t want my first reaction to be "Who is this guy?" and then go on google and look him up. And who knows, maybe we will have new owners in 4 months, which will make things more complicated. 

But I have felt for a long time that even if Lambert has done a lot of questionable decisions, this squad is really poor. We are missing vital players in key areas, which is so important. You can be a tactical genius, but it doesn`t help if we keep having these individual mistakes.

If Lambert manages to keep Villa up what will peoples opinion be?  Will the lambert bashers still want him sacked?

I think if people look at the team and are honest with themselves then I think they would realise maybe Lamberts NOT the major problem by any means and would give him time. I would. The last 3 years has shown that changing the manager isnt the way forward.

I was sat in a bar the other day that were promoting a new offer of 70p drinks having been £1 drinks before that. 6 people in the whole joint. Now at £1 a drink they werent getting anyone in - hence the reason they dropped the price to 70p. To what result? Nobody in. - Price was clearly not the issue.

And its a bit like that with Villa - 5 managers have come in since MON left and the clubs been in decline. During that time the squad has been ripped apart of its best players and not one of the managers has made a difference - which makes me think - the manager is NOT the problem. Now you could argue - Has the right manager been appointed? And that would be a fair question, but whatever you say about the 3 managers - they are not idiots and have all had success at times - and not one showed an ounce of improvement. Not even a sign that we maybe going in the right direction.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

We will be playing Albion in 2-3 seasons... Burton Albion that is!

We will be playing Albion in 2-3 seasons... Burton Albion that is!

O Lord don't say that :unsure: 

yeah get rid of him. he hasnt got a clue, by far the worst manager I have seen at the club and that long list includes mcleish!

Lambert had a limited budget and didn't do too great spending it.

His decision to play a formation with no width most of the season has been awful. His decision to stick with his 3-5-2 formation was ridiculous.

He's had a tough job but he's done nothing to make it easier for himself. There are issues at this club and Lambert has added to them.

I lost faith with him awhile ago.

If he keeps us up I'd still rather he was sacked, he won't be though so its a pointless debate.

There's a chance he will do better with more funds next year but I don't have much hope of him being given decent funds or making better decisions.

He's been awful this year and for me a massive disappointment.

His decision to play a formation with no width most of the season has been awful. His decision to stick with his 3-5-2 formation was ridiculous.

He's had a tough job but he's done nothing to make it easier for himself. There are issues at this club and Lambert has added to them.

If he keeps us up I'd still rather he was sacked, he won't be though so its a pointless debate.

There's a chance he will do better with more funds next year but I don't have much hope of him being given decent funds or making better decisions.

he makes terrible decisions almost every week. I have never seen a manager make so many selection and tactic mistakes in my life.

he makes terrible decisions almost every week. I have never seen a manager make so many selection and tactic mistakes in my life.

The hyperbole on this thread, highlighted by this post, is hilarious.

It is okay for something to just be okay. Not everything has to be "brilliant" or "the worst I have ever seen." There is some middle ground, and Lambert's performance certainly falls squarely in it this season.

You say Wilshere is shit, therefore I believe you can't grasp 'terrible decisions' or 'selection and tactic mistakes'. I think you're seeing fairies. 

That's pretty much where i stand too. Even if we by some miracle stay up i still wan't him gone.

I'm not sure how I feel about him at all any more.

I still like the bloke and I so want him to do well, and I do think he had a refreshing idea for the club when he took over.

But I just cannot get over how badly it has gone for him overall. Our constant habit of conceding really poor goals has made us a laughing stock of a team this season, and I really hope it doesn't happen again tomorrow night.

Like others I think he has made strange selections and tactical changes in games, and he clearly can't get the best out of our top earner players.

Part of me thinks though maybe we actually needed a ruthless character of a manager with a firm knowledge of the game, who could stand up to people like Lerner and Faulkner and say "no actually this is wrong", but clealry PL has been Lerner's yes man.

Not sure what to say about him, I only pray that something clicks for him in the run-in and we stay up.

If he were to be sacked my hope would be to have more of a character take over... Someone like Di Canio or Poyet. But what evidence is there to say that they would do any better?

At least he's stopped saying "we'll be fine" that used to piss me off so much.

Many mistake made this season, but seems to be learning. If we stay up i think he stays...if we go down, i still would keep him.

The hyperbole on this thread, highlighted by this post, is hilarious.

It is okay for something to just be okay. Not everything has to be "brilliant" or "the worst I have ever seen." There is some middle ground, and Lambert's performance certainly falls squarely in it this season.

If Lambert had been just 'okay' then he probably wouldn't have been slated as much. However, he hasn't been 'ok.' He has been poor for almost three quarters of the season and must take the majority of the blame if we are relegated.

His formations, treatment of our senior players, transfer targets, performances (especially in the final 10 minutes) and first team selections - not to mention his results! - are cause for great concern. He has not lived up to his reputation and, imo, is not deserving of the leeway given to him by many fans that previous managers simply did not enjoy.

The deflection away from the football being served up and onto the board (particularly Lerner) is quite laughable. Lerner has played his part, certainly, but none of the things mentioned in my opening paragraph have anything to do with him.

That said, Lambert deserves time. If he is to be the manager to change our style of football (something he is trying to do) and build a squad for the future, he should be given the chance to bring it to fruition.

His formations, treatment of our senior players, transfer targets, performances (especially in the final 10 minutes) and first team selections - not to mention his results! - are cause for great concern. He has not lived up to his reputation and, imo, is not deserving of the leeway given to him by many fans that previous managers simply did not enjoy.

The deflection away from the football being served up and onto the board (particularly Lerner) is quite laughable. Lerner has played his part, certainly, but none of the things mentioned in my opening paragraph have anything to do with him.

That said, Lambert deserves time. If he is to be the manager to change our style of football (something he is trying to do) and build a squad for the future, he should be given the chance to bring it to fruition.

The team was a mess.  He has had to totally rebuild the complete starting 11 (give or take 1-2) within a few weeks when he was appointed.  This was never going to be an over night job and staying up was going to be a mircale from the off.  If we manage it then i would give put him on a open top bus and parade him round Birmingham. 

Now, yes Lambert has made alot of mistakes but he appears to be learning from them.  We play good football (for 80 mins at least), allot better than 50% of the teams in the Premership.  This will stand to us going forward.  We need to give him time and the team time.     

• Like 1

The team was a mess. He has had to totally rebuild the complete starting 11 (give or take 1-2) within a few weeks when he was appointed. This was never going to be an over night job and staying up was going to be a mircale from the off. If we manage it then i would give put him on a open top bus and parade him round Birmingham.

Don't remember people thinking this at the start of the season.

Just shows the change in attitude to defend such rubbish.