Paul Lambert

Pilchard

"When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers".

No I'm not referring to the scenario where Lambert is sacked/resigns tomorrow (that would be lovely) but rather us appointing him in the first place. You have to wonder if he was on Lerner's radar prior to the fans at Norwich singing his name on the last game of last season. Not that it's their fault. Only one person is to blame for Lambert being a shit manager and that's the prick himself.

Edited by Mantis

Right, Paul Lambert is extremely lucky that he hasn't been sacked already. He has managed the unthinkable - and that is, that he's actually made the nightmare of last season seem not so bad. Anyone who can make McLeish look vaguely acceptable is on a hiding to nothing.

He has been hit and miss in the transfer market, his policy of buying only lower league youth has seemingly back fired, his reluctance to play several senior players has cost us, he is tactically inept, the majority of his substitutions are either baffling or just plain wrong, he doesn't seem able to motivate players, he doesn't know what his best formation is, his post-match interviews are just cringeworthy and I just have no faith that he is taking us anywhere other than the Championship.

So yes, Lambert needs to go imo.

But, and this is a big but, the club is rotten to the core from top to bottom. Lambert is only a small part of the overall problem. Randolph Lerner is the main cancer killing this club and unless he goes too then nothing will change. As bad as Lambert has been, he has walked into a club which has been in a dramatic decline for the past 3/4 years and this is a direct result of Lerner's crazy and illogical decisions.

Paul Lambert deserves to be sacked quite frankly, despite the fact we are in dire need of stability. But there is no point sacking the manager and letting Lerner sink this club further.

• Like 1

Right, Paul Lambert is extremely lucky that he hasn't been sacked already. He has managed the unthinkable - and that is, that he's actually made the nightmare of last season seem not so bad. Anyone who can make McLeish look vaguely acceptable is on a hiding to nothing.

He has been hit and miss in the transfer market, his policy of buying only lower league youth has seemingly back fired, his reluctance to play several senior players has cost us, he is tactically inept, the majority of his substitutions are either baffling or just plain wrong, he doesn't seem able to motivate players, he doesn't know what his best formation is, his post-match interviews are just cringeworthy and I just have no faith that he is taking us anywhere other than the Championship.

So yes, Lambert needs to go imo.

But, and this is a big but, the club is rotten to the core from top to bottom. Lambert is only a small part of the overall problem. Randolph Lerner is the main cancer killing this club and unless he goes too then nothing will change. As bad as Lambert has been, he has walked into a club which has been in a dramatic decline for the past 3/4 years and this is a direct result of Lerner's crazy and illogical decisions.

Paul Lambert deserves to be sacked quite frankly, despite the fact we are in dire need of stability. But there is no point sacking the manager and letting Lerner sink this club further.

The problem is, if he's sacked then what? We can't trust this board to make any correct decisions for the future of this club. They aren't football people, they aren't astute financial people, they aren't really anything, just a mess. I do not trust them to make the right appointment after Lambert. What even would be the right appointment? You can count out anyone reasonably decent because we don't have a pot to piss in. So we're left with the Curbishley's/Phil Brown's/ Owen Coyle's. None of which are better than Lambert, they really aren't.

The nightmare cycle just continues and we're bringing managers in every six months on the absolute hope that any manager can have a honeymoon period and get a few quick wins, but it ultimately doesn't matter because as you say the cancer is still within the club.

Lambert is making mistakes, loads of them but I still believe he has a brightness that the mercenary managers, currently out of work that skip between championship clubs don't have. Just my opinion of course but now i've calmed down a bit, I think the club would be in a chaos of astronomical levels if he were sacked tomorrow.

• Like 2

Yeah well you've basically elaborated on what I was saying so I don't think we disagree on anything here.

I have tried to back Lambert from day one and have defended him on many occasions. But, for me, the last few weeks have pushed me over the edge. Personally, I just don't believe he is good enough.

But, as you said, with Lerner still at the helm it almost defeats the object if Lambert were to be sacked. Villa fans need to realise that it is Lerner that is taking this club down, Lambert is merely the face of it.

I'd be more than happy to see PL go now, providing there are major changes higher up this club, which i don't think there will be. Which is why, sadly, I fear this club is sinking slowly towards relegation without even a fight.

• Like 1

Still convinced he is not the problem. Sacking Lambert would be foolish.

Who make the totally clueless substitutions on Saturday then in particular bringing off the best player on the park?

Who didn't have any idea other than to aimlessly throw on 5 strikers to the pitch with no midfield to feed them?

The man has clearly lost his bottle and this is quite clearly been felt by the players who have reciprocated.

He should resign and give someone with a bigger set of bollox chance to get some pride and passion into this team. He won't though because he is a greedy little prick like the last few managers we have had and wants the compo payout! Trouble is Lerner is such a halfwit that he will payout at some point!

Shouldn't be sacked. Needs more money and time to implement his plans.

More money to buy players to totally demoralise them?

More money to buy potential??

He needs to show some self respect, admit he's not up to the job and resign!!

He just wants a payout from the Randy Lerner Shit Manager Benhevolent Fund!!

One man who could do it is Glen Hoddle,

Still think though we are putting to much blame on PL, I looked at the subs bench and there was no one else to bring on who could make a difference, Piss poor squad, RL is to blame, as has been said PL knows the problems and has asked for the funds to get the players he needs, he was refused, how can we blame PL for that, I also do not understand the blaming of Vlar, yes he was at fault but he made 1 mistake in the game (he was trying to organise the others and did not do his own job, he will be his own worst critic), The blame lies with the midfield, PL took them off because there heads had gone, they were incapable of passing, holding on to the ball and looked like red cards waiting to happen, yes we lost the tie and we are pissed off but PL can not take all the blame, the fault lies with the incompetance of the players, Gabby, ireland, Benteke, Delph, Bennett, Bannon, they should all hold their heads in shame for their lack of effort in the second half and their lack of ideas.

I think people are putting too much blame on Lerner for things that he has no control over. Yes he is to blame mostly for the poor state of the squad but tactically Lambert is useless and that's where we've come undone a lot of the time. We need a manager that is more tactically astute and can motivate better than Lambert if we are to have a chance of staying up.

Edited by Mantis

What the **** does Lambert need to do to get sacked? He has been a disaster since getting here and has helped turn us into a bigger laughing stock than McBell managed to do.

We were promised this wouldn't happen again and it's worse now.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 1

In all fairness had Bennett cleared it 30 yards up the pitch it would never have been a corner, fancy trying to run the ball out for a goal kick from 30 yards out with a guy who terrorised him 2 weeks before!! JOKE!!

Lambert threw everything at them, Duke had another good game, made 2 good saves and commanded his defence well.

We were promised alot of invesment, in both windows, well i cerainly dont see it, the only good things to come so far are Benteke and Westwood.