Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He shouldn't resign for going out to Bradford, as bad as it is. Roberto Martinez and Arsene Wenger didn't leave after getting knocked out by Bradford either.

It's league form which needs to determine Lambert's future.

True. But the cup defeat is the spunk icing on our turd cake of a season. Relegation beckons under Lambert.

True.

I still think we need to give him more time though, we avoided the drop by 2 points last season. Right now we are 1 point above it, we could still better last season's points tally with Lambert.

He's made his signings and one by one they're proving terrible buys. Worse goals scored and conceded than Mcleish and people couldn't stop protesting against the ginger word removed. It really doesn't look that bright and i can't find any positives right now.

Edited by Daniel

He's made his signings and one by one they're proving terrible buys. Worse goals scored and conceded than Mcleish and people couldn't stop protesting against the ginger word removed. I really doesn't look that bright and i can't find any positives right now.

Are Benteke, Westwood, Vlaar and Lowton really terrible signings given the fees/wages?

I fear relegation as much as the next fan, I just don't think the grass is necessarily any greener with a new manager. The club is a mess from top to bottom.

Are Benteke, Westwood, Vlaar and Lowton really terrible signings given the fees/wages?

I fear relegation as much as the next fan, I just don't think the grass is necessarily any greener with a new manager. The club is a mess from top to bottom.

Benteke looks decent and maybe Westwood.

Vlaar cost us the goal tonight and Lowton, well they're all part of the defence that has conceded a shit load of goals this season.

Personally I'd stick with him. The problems run a hell of a lot deeper than Lambert and have done for a long time. Shipping out another manager to bring in the next eventual scapegoat solves nothing. As for his signings he had two options, spread the cash and plug as many of the gaps as possible or blow it all on a couple of players. Neither option was going to solve our problems.

You can see glimpses of what he's trying to do but I'll admit I expected more from him at this stage.

Tonight however is inevitably going to be a turning point for a lot of people and I don't see how he survives it.

• Like 2

Benteke looks decent and maybe Westwood.

Vlaar cost us the goal tonight and Lowton, well they're all part of the defence that has conceded a shit load of goals this season.

Vlaar the jury is out, hasn't played as much as he would of due to injuries. I do think we'd have conceded less goals if he'd been fit all season.

Lowton had impressed me up until a few weeks ago, seems to have lost his confidence, if he gets that back his form should return too.

I actually think Lambert would have taken Norwich down this season too.

I think you may be right. He was riding the crest of a wave with Norwich last season....a new club in the premiership, on a meteoric rise from League One, no-one really knew what to expect with them, they were underestimated, and they got a lot of surprise results. He got out before the dreaded second season, as under him (as has been seen with us) Norwich would have been found out and sunk like we have.

He's basically jumped ship to a club in complete crisis, run shambolically. We needed an experienced head to steady the ship really, well until Lerner did the decent thing and sold up. Lambert is just another one of those former player-type managers that tried to go too far too soon, like Bryan Robson or Owen Coyle.

He will end up on the scrapheap after Villa, no chairman will want to touch him after tonight's embarassment goes on his CV.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

The problem is both Lambert and Randy are to blame...

YES they are bigger issues than Lambert but dear god that doesn't excuse the dross he has served up.The 2nd half tonight was another abysmal tactical fail, adding to going toe to toe with Chelsea whilst 3-0 down to finally lose 8-0 , losing 3-0 at home to Wigan with a midfield of Holman,Ireland and Bannan .

• Like 1

This is the worst villa team I've ever seen and this seasons I've seen three of the worst villa performances I've ever seen too. Today was a complete humiliation and the manager has to take the blame. I can't believe there was no plan B for if Bradford scored. Disgraceful!

Paul Lambert was "gutted, disappointed and hurt" after the Capital One Cup semi-final exit at the hands of Bradford City.

Lambert was upbeat after the first-half display which saw Christian Benteke give Villa a 1-0 lead.

But James Hanson's goal from a set-piece resulted in "edginess" from his team and they were unable to secure the two goals needed to take the tie into extra-time.

The boss was upset at his team not taking their chance and reaching Wembley - and also their concession of another set-piece, after three in the first-leg.

He said: "I am absolutely gutted, disappointed, hurt, everything.

"Everyone is hurt. You will never have a better chance to get to a cup final throughout your whole career, even the young lads.

"It may take them 10 or 12 years to get even close to one again. That's the hurt.

"In the first half, we looked really fine, we looked good, we got a goal and you thought we'd go on and get the chances.

"Once they scored, the edginess came in and we started to play long balls. We don't have the players to play long balls. That's where it becomes a bit edgy.

"Even then, Andi scores and you think something might happen. But first half we should have got one or two. But again we got done by a set-piece.

"That's two semi-finals where we have lost four goals from set-pieces. The set-pieces are a concern. We practice them every day in training.

"If you have a man in the penalty area, you have to be prepared to compete with him.

"Everyone knows their job and who to pick up. It's man for man. It's me against you. That's your job. You know who you're picking up.

"You know what you're doing for corners and free-kicks. That's not hard to understand. That's black and white. It comes from an individual. It's me against you."

Lambert said he felt the team had "let the fans down."

He continued: "I am every bit as hurt as what they are. It's my responsibility. I know exactly what it's like and I know exactly what they're feeling because I am feeling the exact same.

"We played really well in the first-half. The atmosphere was brilliant. The crowd are right with you and we have let them down. The bottom line is we have let them down."

Lambert said his side would now come out and fight with an FA Cup tie with Millwall on Friday, followed by a Premier League encounter with Newcastle United on Tuesday.

He added: "There are two ways - you either lie down and accept it or you come out and fight. I am certainly not going to lie down.

"I have never done it. I will come out fighting.

"You have to pick them up. They have a game in a few days time. Fans will come a long way to watch it. You have to pick yourself up."

Make sure you pick up tickets for Newcastle.

From the OS

Rather get shot in the eye than pick up newcastle tickets clearings in the woods.

I was happy with the Lambert signing, but I am finding it difficult to accept some of the low levels of performance he is presiding over.

Players lose form, teams get injuries and suspension which result in disruption to team performances.

There are some questions of the basics that i find very worrying.

Players lose confidence and form, but decent players still retain a level of proficiency during those times.

some of the stuff in the second half was worrying training ground stuff.

He shouldn't resign for going out to Bradford, as bad as it is. Roberto Martinez and Arsene Wenger didn't leave after getting knocked out by Bradford either.

It's league form which needs to determine Lambert's future.

This is different. This is over 2 legs. Indefensible.

This is the worst villa team I've ever seen and this seasons I've seen three of the worst villa performances I've ever seen too. Today was a complete humiliation and the manager has to take the blame. I can't believe there was no plan B for if Bradford scored. Disgraceful!

I have been a fan since 90 this is the most depressing season I can remember.Infact the last 18 months in general has been utter shite.

I don't see how we can stay up ,the only side near bottom not to have strenghtend or have solid links to strengthen.I fear we will be left in the wilderness

of the football league for years to come

Vlaar the jury is out, hasn't played as much as he would of due to injuries. I do think we'd have conceded less goals if he'd been fit all season.

Lowton had impressed me up until a few weeks ago, seems to have lost his confidence, if he gets that back his form should return too.

Benteke is promising, all his other signings are shit