Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Here we go...

Just watching the BBC Sports News where they report the Express is saying RDM has been lined up as a replacement for Lambert.

Is this the top of the slippery slope?

EDIT - oops, just looked back a page and see that one's already been done.

Still, it is probably the beginning of the end for PL if this is the club starting to brief against him.

Edited by briny_ear

Your post is far more bizarre than anything to do with Lambert.

Bizarre Lambert List

1. Handing Bent the captaincy. Never struck me as the Mr. Motivator kind. Really surprised me. Didn't surprise me when he later removed it.

This was very early on and Bent is one of the most senior players. It was obviously meant to give him some responsibility to coax some action out of him. Didn't work out so as you say he gave it to someone else.

2. Not playing Bent, leaving him out of the team totally for what seemed like (probably was) months.

1 game he was not picked when fit. Some others he was on the bench but almost every time he either started or was brought out he was universally regarded as being a waste of a shirt. Any time he's played well he's been picked the next game. Bent has had loads of opportunities but just refuses to take them.

3. Not regularly starting Bannan, our best midfielder.

Yet you'd probably find most people on this site don't rate Bannan, so it's at best a subjective opinion. Not only that, Bannan has been one of the most picked midfielders which doubly negates your point.

4. Not regularly starting our best side back, Lichaj. This is not a personal opinion. We've not won a game this season without him (he's been in the team for all 9 games we've won).

The stats back up your view, but the stats can lie when taken from a small set of data. Bennett has the potential to be far better which is why he's been persevered with.

5. Playing our worst side back Bennett when Stevens was available, even if he didn't want to play Lichaj, without whom we've not won a game, he could have at least picked Stevens.

Again completely subjective. When you have a lot of differing opinions there's nothing to guarantee that yours is the correct one, so it's a bit unfair to use them against Lambert.

6. Dropping our best goalie Guzan for 2 games in the row, extending to the Bradford game

What 2 games in a row? Given was in for the cup games as it's standard practice to use your reserve keeper for those games. We did it the other way round with our last cup runs, MON dropped Friedel for Guzan and then played Friedel in the final.

7. Playing Weimann, in his words a "natural finisher", in a wide position.

Certain types of strikers can be just as dangerous in the 'gully', where football tacticians tell you is one of the most dangerous places for a player to be attacking from. If you're playing 3 up front then it makes perfect sense to play the target man in the middle and have 2 extra strikers attacking diagonally.

8. Not signing a defensive midfielder over the summer. Lambert was a DM, does he think they're necessary, or not?

If he's not allowed to, how is it his fault?

9. Not making any signings in time for the Southampton game.

See above.

• Like 1

In terms of the question re: the league cup semi reaction. I would hope that Villa Park would absolutely erupt if we were to turn this tie around and make it to Wembley.

Why are so many fans concerned about "looking smalltime" and about what other fans of other clubs will say these days? Why are we so caught up about what happened to Small Heath in terms of the league cup and then relegation?

Aston Villa has a prestigious history and a big part of that is our League Cup successes which bizarrely some of our fans now almost seem embarrassed to win, or be a part of. The only reason I won't be on that pitch if we win on Tuesday is because I'll be in the Upper Holte. These next two games are THE perfect opportunity to turn our season around and inject a bit of much-needed positivity into the club again. Why should we hold back? I've got images in my head of a Villa fan mildly applauding the win on Tuesday and turning to his mate to say "But it's our Premier League status we really want to preserve"

Do people not realise that success in the cup could very well translate to an upturn in form in the league? We as Villa fans have had seasons upon seasons of misery now and I think a few people need to get a perspective back about what following football is all about. I for one will be going mental if we win on Tuesday and I couldn't give a stuff if anyone thinks i'm "small-time" because I'll be going to Wembley.

He's made mistakes, but I don't think he should go, even if we get relegated. I also don't think losing to West Brom, who have played well this season, would make his position "untenable". Christ I hate that word.

Personally as much as I wanted him to succeed when he took over as with all Villa managers apart from the ginger prat. I really think that if we lose both games he has to go. You can't keep rewarding failure. I'm not even sure I want us to beat Bradford on tues I'd much rather the 3 points against albion and I don't think our players deserve a final.

I am also starting to wonder whether or not Lerner, although he hasn't given Lambert massive funds, is reluctant to give him anymore due to performances and not necessarily restrictions. It's concerning that every other club around us is attempting to boost their squads with fresh faces yet VP is a wall of silence. Nothing to feel optimistic about at all. It's just a bloody shambles.

So...say, if we lose to the Boggies

Lambert sacked on Saturday evening.

Di Matteo comes in on Monday with a list of transfer targets.

11 days left to do some business.

It's just about do-able but I can't see Lerner being that ruthless/decisive tbf.

Your post is far more bizarre than anything to do with Lambert.

This was very early on and Bent is one of the most senior players. It was obviously meant to give him some responsibility to coax some action out of him. Didn't work out so as you say he gave it to someone else.

It was the wrong decision and he didn't have to make it. Admittedly good news is he changed his mind fairly quickly on it.

1 game he was not picked when fit. Some others he was on the bench but almost every time he either started or was brought out he was universally regarded as being a waste of a shirt. Any time he's played well he's been picked the next game. Bent has had loads of opportunities but just refuses to take them.

I don't think Bent should be first choice. That's controversial. Not

putting him on the subs bench? That's bizarre.

Yes, he's been injured but there have been the games when he has been fit and not even on the subs bench.

Yet you'd probably find most people on this site don't rate Bannan, so it's at best a subjective opinion. Not only that, Bannan has been one of the most picked midfielders which doubly negates your point.

He's played 1339 minutes out of 2090 - 64% of the time. That's not enough since he is the best crosser in the Premier League (click link in sig) and our most creative player..

The stats back up your view, but the stats can lie when taken from a small set of data. Bennett has the potential to be far better which is why he's been persevered with.

So it has finally come done to this, the ultimate trade off: should the team win games OR should the team continue to 'improve' Bennett?

Potentially we could continue to 'improve' Bennett all the way into down to the Conference Premier.

What 2 games in a row? Given was in for the cup games as it's standard practice to use your reserve keeper for those games. We did it the other way round with our last cup runs, MON dropped Friedel for Guzan and then played Friedel in the final.

Yes, I agree it's a matter of interpretation, but I think Guzan was dropped for the game against Bradford. Second game in a 4 days, Guzan would have wanted to play that game. Semi-final. He wants to play the final. I would have played Guzan. Choice of keeper did not affect the result, it could have though.

Certain types of strikers can be just as dangerous in the 'gully', where football tacticians tell you is one of the most dangerous places for a player to be attacking from. If you're playing 3 up front then it makes perfect sense to play the target man in the middle and have 2 extra strikers attacking diagonally.

Yes, if those strikers are suited to wing play. Agbonlahor can do it. Not convinced Weimann's got tricky enough feet.

If he's not allowed to, how is it his fault?

See above.

Do we know that? I thought there was a £10m transfer kitty for this window.

In terms of the question re: the league cup semi reaction. I would hope that Villa Park would absolutely erupt if we were to turn this tie around and make it to Wembley.

Why are so many fans concerned about "looking smalltime" and about what other fans of other clubs will say these days? Why are we so caught up about what happened to Small Heath in terms of the league cup and then relegation?

Aston Villa has a prestigious history and a big part of that is our League Cup successes which bizarrely some of our fans now almost seem embarrassed to win, or be a part of. The only reason I won't be on that pitch if we win on Tuesday is because I'll be in the Upper Holte. These next two games are THE perfect opportunity to turn our season around and inject a bit of much-needed positivity into the club again. Why should we hold back? I've got images in my head of a Villa fan mildly applauding the win on Tuesday and turning to his mate to say "But it's our Premier League status we really want to preserve"

Do people not realise that success in the cup could very well translate to an upturn in form in the league? We as Villa fans have had seasons upon seasons of misery now and I think a few people need to get a perspective back about what following football is all about. I for one will be going mental if we win on Tuesday and I couldn't give a stuff if anyone thinks i'm "small-time" because I'll be going to Wembley.

Not sure if your comments were directed towards me as I asked the question about the possible reaction of fan's on tues? It's obvious if we get through people will be happy,that's a given. But how happy really? I've seen us in 3 finals at wembley yet this year would quite easily I given the choice would relinquish another final for staying up. I wasn't insinuating Villa fan's would be smalltime or should be embarrassed for celebrating and I haven't read any other comments suggesting that either or that we should give a toss what other fan's think. I was only trying to gauge the level of fan's interest to this particular semi with the uncertainty over our PL status.

This is a fascinating thread,

in my eyes Bannan and Gabby changed us completely against Southampton.

Love or hate him, we need a Bannan/ Ireland type on the park at all times.

Someone that can at any point change the game. (N'Zogbia avoids eye contact).

We need to use the middle of the pitch on the ground as well, when ever we do we look both solid, passing with conviction so seem to build momentum, but then go back to the wings. You don't win big boy fights with dead arms, we need to smack them.

Bent's play is a direct reflection of the supply he is given as he thrives in decisive passing that we had when we had men in the shirts. Passing the ball so his back to goal is to go offroading in a Lotus. That's not Bents fault, it the passer.

Surely the managers job is to create a playing style that fits the team's individuals, it then evolves over years into what the manager builds it into.

This is not the time to blood youth, this is time to just stay up and try again next season.

Sorry Mr. Lambert, this current problem all rests on your shoulders...

Right now, this group is not good enough for the Premier, they will be one day.

As long as he doesn't ruin them first.

It would be stupid sacking Lambert.

why? he is the most useless inept manager i have ever seen at villa park in 26 years. he even tops mcleish in that department

This is a fascinating thread,

in my eyes Bannan and Gabby changed us completely against Southampton.

Love or hate him, we need a Bannan/ Ireland type on the park at all times.

Someone that can at any point change the game. (N'Zogbia avoids eye contact).

We need to use the middle of the pitch on the ground as well, when ever we do we look both solid, passing with conviction so seem to build momentum, but then go back to the wings. You don't win big boy fights with dead arms, we need to smack them.

Bent's play is a direct reflection of the supply he is given as he thrives in decisive passing that we had when we had men in the shirts. Passing the ball so his back to goal is to go offroading in a Lotus. That's not Bents fault, it the passer.

Surely the managers job is to create a playing style that fits the team's individuals, it then evolves over years into what the manager builds it into.

This is not the time to blood youth, this is time to just stay up and try again next season.

Sorry Mr. Lambert, this current problem all rests on your shoulders...

Right now, this group is not good enough for the Premier, they will be one day.

As long as he doesn't ruin them first.

N'zogbia is poo

Lambert's decision making has been poor all season. He made Bent the captain then pretty much excluded him from all first team action for a long while. He even had Delph as the captain for a few games. Then he kept the 5 at the back for 3 games even though it was obvious it wasn't working after Chelsea put 8 past us.

Plus Lambert's signings really haven't been that great. Benteke looks like he has potential but he is no way good enough to be starting every game. Lowton has been okay but the likes of Bennett and KEA have been awful. Vlaar was a good signing but he needs to remain fit.

I think RDM would keep us up to be honest. RDM likes more experienced players and would be playing the likes of Bent, Warnock, Agbonlahor, Ireland and a few others instead of the shit we see every game.

I honestly think we have a bigger chance of staying up with a new manager, be it RDM, Bert van Marwijk or someone else.

With Lambert im almost sure we will be relegated, new signings or not. A new manager might, just might give us a brief lift and a few extra points. It won't make a huge difference as our squad is poor and unbalanced, but Lambert has so far been an absolute failure in every way and doesn't deserve to stay.

I really don't get the "If we sack Lambert we'll be in big trouble". How much more trouble can we be in? It's not like we'll be even more relegated.

Utter madness to sack lambert regardless of what happens this season.

Then to compound that with the total lunacy that would be appointing the young Avram Grant would have me saying no more until Lerner goes

• Like 1

You say no matter what. I don't think it would be madness to sack a manager who took us down for the first time in premiership history.

I can understand people saying stick with him till the end but I can't understand this idea of sticking with him even if we go down.

We need stability we cant keep changing managers. Think about how much would cost to sack Lambo and his team then bring in a new team who might not be any better.

We could spend in excess of 10m doing this why not use that money on players??

• Like 1

Utter madness to sack lambert regardless of what happens this season.

Then to compound that with the total lunacy that would be appointing the young Avram Grant would have me saying no more until Lerner goes

It's clear that you feel strongly about this but i just have to ask what it is you see in Lambert?

Not having a go or anything, it's a genuine question as i don't see the merits of keeping him bar "stability and continuity"

IF we were to go down, he would have to be sacked for me, no ifs, buts or maybes. He had 20 million (5th highest in the PL) to spend in the summer. He has alienated the only real experience we have at the club and has them subsequently been unable to shift them. He's reduced DB's value significantly and has mastermind some of the most inept performances in a long time (that includes Mcleish reign) why shouldn't he take the bullet if we go down for the first time in PL history? Answers on a postcard.....