Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I do not know how some fans can blame Paul Lambert for this awful first part of the season, it's beyond me.

What happened is quite clear to me: for financial reasons, after the huge amount of money thrown away by his predecessors (Delph is one of the most overpaid players in the world, and so is Dunne to make only two examples) the board asked him to rebuild the team and he is doing this. The problem is that the players coming from the Academy (Bannan, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Baker even Clark) were promising but have stopped their process of growth, and, apart from Benteke and Holma, the new signigns seem still not ready for the Premier League or weakest that they were expected to be.

But the last that we can blame for this situation, that has deep roots and causes in the previous years is our young manager, that has just proven at Norwich to be able to play an entertaining attacking football in Premier League (not based on long balls tactics that we are used to see at VP) with players of the lowest divisions.

We must stay behind the team in this difficult moment, together we can stand, divide we'll be relegated.

Nobody is blaming Lambert for the legacy of what's been building for 3 years.

But you have to question some of his man management, tactics and team selections and substitutions.

Nobody is above constructive criticism.

• Like 1

No Mantis i do not have a time machine...

but i have watched enough football to see where this is going.

Unless Randy makes huge (£40-60m) funds avaliable in january (which he won't) and Lambert spends it on quality and not potential (which he won't) i sadly don't see us staying up.

Well then you can't say we WILL go down. I remember people saying we WOULD go down under Houllier, and again last season.

Agree with you Archie, but I think you're being harsh on Delph, and I think Lowton is another good Lambert signing.

I thougth the same thing unless I saw him live at Craven Cottage. He pushes forward but he absolutely does not mark the opponent on his flank. Poor Holman should do double job to cover Riise whereas Lowton was always out of position.

Maybe he'll improve but for the moment, imho, is not a player of P.L. level.

Im happy with Lambert and with what he is doing to the team. It's about time some of our players received a kick up the arse.

There are a couple of substitutions that have confused me a little though, quite why Weimann came on yesterday I'll never know. If anybody, it should have been Ireland so he could try and keep the ball towards the other end of the pitch a bit. But, the result stayed the same so, who knows what he was thinking.

I personally believe we will be relegated this season, but I will still want Lambert to remain as manger. We need some stability in the ranks now, and I believe should we go down, we will be right back up again! Will also allow us to remove more of the crap we have in the squad.

Deep down, I am praying that Randy will use some of his Browns money to help improve us... But i am far from convinced we will see any of that dollar. If he does decide to use it on us, I think we will go mental with it and we could well see a few VT melt-downs in the next couple of windows.

Ultimately, if the worst does happen, we will all go down together, but we will come up together as well, you just gotta stick with it... Bad times happen everywhere, and whilst this is very bad times as the moment, there has to be some light somewhere.

But remember, there are far worst things going on in the world than this....

If you don't mind I will put my POV across about Villa yesterday and how Lambert set up.

Someone (on this thread or another) said that Villa were set up like the away team and I completely agree.

When PL was still manager here, we set up to attack certain teams but yesterday it was as if Villa were showing lots of respect to Norwich by sitting back. A few of my Norwich mates feared Lambert would know City's strengths and weaknesses but IMO the opposite happened. He set Villa up to combat our strengths and it didnt work.

Our wingers were made to look poor (admittedly when we got on the ball out wide the service was woeful as well) but IMO too much attention was put on them and not Wessi.

Lambert needs to get back to playing to Villa's strengths as opposed to trying to deal with the opposition.

Attack is the best form of defence as they say.

The big worry I had about PL was his abiity to organise a defence. Now in fairness since the opening two games we haven't been that bad there despite having lot of youth. Bar the horrible second half at Southampton, the only other league game we've conceded more than 1 goal was at Spurs and they're scoring plenty of goals against everyone. I accept those stats will get worse with the run of games we have shortly coming up.

Conversley I expect more going forward. More goals considering the opponents we've played, more chances created in the majortiy of those games, more fluency in our attacks. It just hasn't happened. Canary, did you score for fun as soon as he took over or did it take a while to get the attacking game going that served you well for the next two seasons? Suppose it's a bit easier in league one.

I think one issue is Lambert's constant need to rotate every **** game, yes i know some of the changes are forced by injury but he has to let the players bed in and get some form and consistency. I appreciate the need to change things up and change tactics but that squad can't know whether it is coming or going.

the players who deserve to start when fit based on performances so far are below

-------------Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar - Baker - ?

Ireland - ? - Holman

Bent - Benteke

Subs: Herd, Weimann

Gabby, KEA, Clark, Bennett, Albrighton, Lichaj, Nzogbia, Given, Delph have all had moments where they have looked ok even good, but mostly they have been average or utter crap. Ireland and Holman aren't much better, and Benteke has missed some criminal chances but by a thin margin they are the best we have.

• Like 1

I've been busy so haven't been on the site for a couple of months, but Jesus there's a lot of whinging teenage girls on here. People are completely over-reacting.

Things were dire yesterday and Lambert has made some shocking decisions (not having a word with Bent before dropping him, bringing on Weimann, Joe Bennett is looking like an average Enda Stevens, etc.) But keep things in perspective. It's still early days. Saying we're certain for relegation is ridiculous. We're six points off 11th ffs.

Lowton is looking like a good right back.

Dropping Guzan was a brilliant idea.

Vlaar and Clark/Dunne will be a good CB pairing.

KEA is a good player who's had a crap few games.

Benteke looks like a great signing.

We need some certainty in the back four, we need to learn how to **** defend set pieces, we need to play a five man midfield, and we need someone who can cross the ball. That's all doable.

We'll spend some money in January, and we'll stay up this season. We'll come about 15th. 20 pound to VT if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I do not know how some fans can blame Paul Lambert for this awful first part of the season, it's beyond me.

What happened is quite clear to me: for financial reasons, after the huge amount of money thrown away by his predecessors (Delph is one of the most overpaid players in the world, and so is Dunne to make only two examples) the board asked him to rebuild the team and he is doing this. The problem is that the players coming from the Academy (Bannan, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Baker even Clark) were promising but have stopped their process of growth, and, apart from Benteke and Holma, the new signigns seem still not ready for the Premier League or weakest that they were expected to be.

But the last that we can blame for this situation, that has deep roots and causes in the previous years is our young manager, that has just proven at Norwich to be able to play an entertaining attacking football in Premier League (not based on long balls tactics that we are used to see at VP) with players of the lowest divisions.

We must stay behind the team in this difficult moment, together we can stand, divide we'll be relegated.

Enjoyed this post. Additionally, the developments in the Premier League have done us no good at all. With all the points you've made, plus Manchester City changing the landscape, Lambert has taken on a really tough situation. I find it irritating that so many are willing to turn on him inside ten games. He's not a miracle worker - he will lose games, and he will make mistakes. We need to think differently or we'll end up churning through managers and eventually we'll see someone turfed out of Villa who then succeeds elsewhere.

• Like 3

I suspect lambert will be given 50% of the Bent money and that will be it, so circa £6-7m

Not sure if you mean that would be the total budget Lambert would be given in January but if you do mean that i think Lambert will be given at least double that and probably more as i suspect we will be in dire trouble come January. I would also hope that we would be working on transfers before the January window opens with our new scout.

Could Lambert be suffering "Second season syndrome"? Has he been found out at premier league level? It happens to a number of players and managers, a good first season in the top division when they are an unknown quantity and then they follow it up with a poor second season.

Well then you can't say we WILL go down. I remember people saying we WOULD go down under Houllier, and again last season.

Cant you see a trend in what you have just written?Teams play with fire when they hang around the bottom three year after year,you stagnate as a team while others pass you by,and then its bye bye!

Could Lambert be suffering "Second season syndrome"? Has he been found out at premier league level? It happens to a number of players and managers, a good first season in the top division when they are an unknown quantity and then they follow it up with a poor second season.

Lambert is good at doing what hes been brought here to do,get promotion,their is a long term plan at the Villa but its going to get worse before it gets better.Lambert is a Warnock type of manager,good at getting championship teams promoted but is found wanting with the big boys.

Cant you see a trend in what you have just written?Teams play with fire when they hang around the bottom three year after year,you stagnate as a team while others pass you by,and then its bye bye!

Of course, but that doesn't mean we WILL go down.

Lambert is a Warnock type of manager,good at getting championship teams promoted but is found wanting with the big boys.

Ridiculous to be judging him so soon. He's had one great season (with Norwich) and nine crap games with Villa. Impossible to write him off so quick.