Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Think you will find, we also got the O'neill appointment wrong.

Well in the long term yes - short term it was good fun though! Playing in Europe and a Cup final/semi final all in a year :) - I'm young but those days were some of the happiest memories I have of Villa.

No i agree changing managers constantly will not be beneficial to the club but then again one reason for chopping managers so much is that since O'Neill we have got every appointment wrong. Lambert still hasn't instilled any confidence in me yet that he is now the right appointment, but i sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Managers don't have time to nowadays to get things right. He has not bought well in the summer and seems to have upset players more than anything else. Ok i get the new broom sweeps clean, but at least instil confidence in players and get the dressing room on side with a clear direction. At the moment he seems to be causing disruption and mayhem by upsetting the major players who will cause problems in the dressing room. I am hopeful that Lambert does turn it around but being realistic i think it is a job to far for him. If he loses the next 2 games seriously he will have to go.

We need some Characters in the team.

Its not so much of how much we spend or where they come from or whether they have experience..... its types.

We need players with belief and "never say die" attitude. We need born winners.

Think you will find, we also got the O'neill appointment wrong.

The O'Neill appointment was fine. The failure to have a shared understanding of the club's investment strategy, the sudden slamming on of the spending brakes(and indeed going into reverse) after three seasons of crazy spending, and the failure to sack O'Neill at the start of the summer of 2010 when it was obviously all unravelling, was not so fine.
  • Like 1

The O'Neill appointment was fine. The failure to have a shared understanding of the club's investment strategy, the sudden slamming on of the spending brakes(and indeed going into reverse) after three seasons of crazy spending, and the failure to sack O'Neill at the start of the summer of 2010 when it was obviously all unravelling, was not so fine.

I am sure sacking Oneill in summer 2010 would have gone well.

People saying Lambert's signings haven't been good are plain wrong imo.

Westwood: One bad performance on debut. We have no real way of knowing if he's a good signing or not.

Bennett: Bad game against Fulham two weeks after a nasty injury, otherwise promising. Likely to be inconsistent because of his age.

KEA: Generally reliable in posession, new to the league but good value for money.

Lowton: Good in defence, excellent in posession, iffy crosses, overall a very good signing for peanuts.

Vlaar: Very very good signing, also for peanuts.

Benteke: If he starts converting the chances he gets he will be our best player, a monster who scares the opposition. Already decent value for 7 million.

*Fastens chinstrap on tin hat and prepares for inevitable*

• Like 1

*Fastens chinstrap on tin hat and prepares for inevitable*

Right there in the trenches with you

I appreciate that some of these players may not still be here when things have turned around, but they're a start.

If we were relegated he'd have to go I think, all things considered

:blink:

Really.

I find that view shocking/perplexing.

He'd me the man I'd want to bring us back up, and to contunie the rebuilding job he's just started.

• Like 2

Not blind at all to the football being played. It is dire shite with no penetration so hows that for reality!

dire shit compared to mcleish's football? i seriously considered self harm whilst watching us under AM quite a few times, a constant stream of just giving the ball away and standing in neat lines on the edge of the area shitting their shorts. just totally disgusting anti football really (and that comes from someone who was prepared to give AM time), just no will to actually play the game for fear of losing. if we were trying it against barcelona in a CL semi-final i could stand it but i wouldn't like it.

now we are actually playing the game, moving the ball, playing out from the back, keeping possession and yes, creating chances. we've had a fairly poor game against fulham (but even then we could have won it and played some good possession football) a terrible half against southampton. we've also played some of the best football i've seen us play for ages at times, granted not consistently for 90 mins but after years of direct effective conter attack under MON, which was exciting at times and very very hard to watch against he best clubs who could keep it and defend well. then a failed attempt under houllier to play decent footy (apart from a few games), then the horrors of last season, it really is a sight for sore eyes to see us actually trying to play properly.

"I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win."

"The most pleasure any manager can get is seeing everyday boys joining the Club as youngsters and growing into men and giving themselves a better social standing than they could ever have dreamed of previously."

"There is not a prouder man on God's Earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, aye, but it was the way that we have won that has filled me with satisfaction. We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads. Inter played right into our hands; it's so sad to see such gifted players shackled by a system that restricts their freedom to think and to act. Our fans would never accept that sort of sterile approach. Our objective is always to try to win with style."

Jock Stein

:blink:

Really.

I find that view shocking/perplexing.

He'd me the man I'd want to bring us back up, and to contunie the rebuilding job he's just started.

To be fair I think he'd be an excellent manager to get us back up but if we get relegated this season I think he should be sacked more on principle than anything else. It just isn't acceptable. As long as he keeps up though he should be given more time.

I appreciate that some of these players may not still be here when things have turned around, but they're a start.

If he's not competent enough to keep us up, he probably wouldn't be good enough to get us back up either. I'm not sure what's perplexing about that. McLeish kept us up, and Lambert has added £20m of players to the squad, with no significant departures. They players he's bought just don't appear to be good enough to keep us in the league.

This is a massively difficult job, I've said for ages it's one of the hardest PL jobs going. If he turns this around I think he'll go on to be a great manager in the same ilke as Moyes who whilst he's not winning trophies is doing a great job in a tough environment. The toughest part for lambert Is getting through This first season.

This is a massively difficult job, I've said for ages it's one of the hardest PL jobs going. If he turns this around I think he'll go on to be a great manager in the same ilke as Moyes who whilst he's not winning trophies is doing a great job in a tough environment. The toughest part for lambert Is getting through This first season.

The difference though between Moyes and Lambert at the moment is that generally speaking the players that Moyes buys have an immediate impact on the team and thats why he has been so successful on a limited budget!

dire shit compared to mcleish's football? i seriously considered self harm whilst watching us under AM quite a few times, a constant stream of just giving the ball away and standing in neat lines on the edge of the area shitting their shorts. just totally disgusting anti football really (and that comes from someone who was prepared to give AM time), just no will to actually play the game for fear of losing. if we were trying it against barcelona in a CL semi-final i could stand it but i wouldn't like it.

now we are actually playing the game, moving the ball, playing out from the back, keeping possession and yes, creating chances. we've had a fairly poor game against fulham (but even then we could have won it and played some good possession football) a terrible half against southampton. we've also played some of the best football i've seen us play for ages at times, granted not consistently for 90 mins but after years of direct effective conter attack under MON, which was exciting at times and very very hard to watch against he best clubs who could keep it and defend well. then a failed attempt under houllier to play decent footy (apart from a few games), then the horrors of last season, it really is a sight for sore eyes to see us actually trying to play properly.

"I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win."

"The most pleasure any manager can get is seeing everyday boys joining the Club as youngsters and growing into men and giving themselves a better social standing than they could ever have dreamed of previously."

"There is not a prouder man on God's Earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, aye, but it was the way that we have won that has filled me with satisfaction. We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads. Inter played right into our hands; it's so sad to see such gifted players shackled by a system that restricts their freedom to think and to act. Our fans would never accept that sort of sterile approach. Our objective is always to try to win with style."

Jock Stein

Lambert is a very long way from the ability of Jock Stein and to play 'beautiful, inventive football' you must buy or have the players to do that. Presently we do not.

If he's not competent enough to keep us up, he probably wouldn't be good enough to get us back up either. I'm not sure what's perplexing about that. McLeish kept us up, and Lambert has added £20m of players to the squad, with no significant departures. They players he's bought just don't appear to be good enough to keep us in the league.

I'm not sure you've got the hang of this quoting business yet Mart! :P