Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lambert is doing exactly what he needs to do right now! He has got us midtable when we were fighting relegation last season.  We have a great togetherness and never say die attitude in the squad, and he has done it while drastically cutting costs and taking an aging relegation fodder team to a young midtable side.  The REALITY is that losing to MAN UTD is no shame at all! This may be a transitional Man U team but they are still a team full of quality. Hell Rooney gets paid more than our entire first team! 

Lambert is a GREAT manager in the making IMO what he has done so far at Villa has been very risky, brave and difficult, but the green shoots of progress are there. So we lost two games in a row, big deal, we were always going to have a sticky patch, thats to nature of this league! BTW look at Fulhams squad they have some quality players and Berbertov turned in a top drawer performance against us with our captain and best defender out and Benteke devoid of confidence!

The over reactions on here are ridiculous. Put a quality winger and midfield playmaker in this team and you have a first team capable of winning a majority of our home games! Unfortunately such players cost big money, which he hasn't been given.  The bullshit argument about him having spent nearly 22m in two transfer windows, when that will include signing on fees and agents fees, plus then you take onto account the number of players he brought in and the number of players shown the door is a very small amount.  Take 8 off our first choice 11 are Lambert recruits or players promoted from the reserves/development squads.  Lambert has signed 15 players for a NET spend of less then 30m. That's an average of 2m per player!

• Like 4

We have a great togetherness and never say die attitude in the squad, 

Wow. I can't say I agree with this at all. Although I believe the team is mentally stronger this year, I don't really see anything that makes us particularly stand out as a hugely unified squad, all fighting and pushing in the right direction, throwing their bodies on the line for the manager. I'm just seeing a team that can, every so often work reasonably hard in some games for 45 minutes at the most. 

Who are these people that have actually stated that Lambert should be sacked?

In the last few pages, both Risso and drat01 have specifically said it.

Did I? - where did I say that and in what context? - I am intrigued by this now

Edit: Looked back as far as page 954 and I cannot see where I am supposed to have said this - maybe an apology due from DarrenM for telling lies?

Really? Oh sorry I must have misread something you said. Telling lies is a bit strong though mate. Still, good of you to distance yourself from that Lambert out rubbish.

Wow. I can't say I agree with this at all. Although I believe the team is mentally stronger this year, I don't really see anything that makes us particularly stand out as a hugely unified squad, all fighting and pushing in the right direction, throwing their bodies on the line for the manager. I'm just seeing a team that can, every so often work reasonably hard in some games for 45 minutes at the most. 

Really! So coming from behind to best arsenal, coming from 2 down to draw at the hawthorns, hell take a look at all our wins points this season, they were all down to hard work and never giving up.  Granted the teams attacking play is for the most part incoherent and we still make too many silly mistakes, but the spirit and mentallity is spot on! We are the comeback kings of league so far this season and that s not an accident!

We appear to have gone from wasting money on expensive flops to wasting money on cheap flops. Kind of ironic.

But the one big success would make back almost all the money spent by Lambert in one go!
Agree but not sure who that is at present ? Our best player by some distance is Delph.

Vlaar is injury prone and Benteke looks like a one season wonder. All of Lamberts other signings look exactly what they are - lower league chancers .

Really! So coming from behind to best arsenal, coming from 2 down to draw at the hawthorns, hell take a look at all our wins points this season, they were all down to hard work and never giving up.  Granted the teams attacking play is for the most part incoherent and we still make too many silly mistakes, but the spirit and mentallity is spot on! We are the comeback kings of league so far this season and that s not an accident!

We've come from behind to beat Arsenal and Man.City, that's it. Two games out of sixteen this season. The second half against West Brom further emphasises my point they've we've played well at various points of the season for 45 minutes only. We're hardly the come back kings, c'mon. We see things differently I guess but I just can't agree that this squad has a never say die attitude I'm afraid.

From a Spurs website.....

Chiriches - bit early to tell, and to be fair he's missed all their worst drubbings

Paulinho - technically limited midfield workhorse of the kind Brazil have feted since 1994 ("Brazilian 'water carriers' from Dunga onwards" would be a good feature for one of the writers on tactics). Suspect he might look ok if his only job were to close down opposing players and quickly give the ball to someone with an iota of attacking ability when he receives it. Unfortunately, at Tottenham he has no teammate who meets that description and instead subjects the paying public to his own hapless attempts to be a playmaker

Capoue - another midfield plodder. Looks slightly drunk when running with the ball

Chadli - just bizarre that he is playing for a Premier League team with theoretical top 4 ambitions. Lacks pace, passing ability, skill... any attribute that might enable him to prise open a defence

Holtby - Little bit more craft than Chadli, but compare him to the number 10/winger type players at the clubs Spurs are supposedly competing with eg Hazard, Cazorla, David Silva... He is nowhere near. What's the point of having dross like this filling squad places? Just get a smaller number of better players, like Arsenal

Soldado - knocking on 30 million euros for a striker already in his late 20s who seems to have nothing to set him apart from players of the level of Gary Hooper or Shane Long. Suspect he will prove the worst buy of a very bad bunch

Eriksen - Might turn out ok, but utter madness to expect a 21 year old in a new country moving from a much weaker league to be sole creative outlet for a team aiming for the top 4

Lamela - As above. Not such a weak league, but he just seems such a tragic figure destined not to fit in England. I'd wager he'll be back in Italy by the start of next season.

Not just Lambert who can't pick up these budding Roy Keanes that are apparently out there waiting to be spotted

At least we didn't waste £100m + and the same again  in wages

Capoue - looks slightly drunk when running.....classic line! very funny

We'll at least they're not trying to excuse defeat by the opposing team earning more.

what does that even mean?

I pointed out that my expectations of a win on Sunday were low given the clear disparity in the standard of the squads, and used Rooney as an example of a player who probably earns more than our entire team as an illustration of that.  

Morpheus obviously and predictably (mis)interpreted that as me saying "no team could ever beat another team if that team earns more"

Nope you used Rooney's income to try and excuse our defeat and it wasn't just me who took you to task over that.

Who are these people that have actually stated that Lambert should be sacked?

In the last few pages, both Risso and drat01 have specifically said it.

Did I? - where did I say that and in what context? - I am intrigued by this now

Edit: Looked back as far as page 954 and I cannot see where I am supposed to have said this - maybe an apology due from DarrenM for telling lies?

Really? Oh sorry I must have misread something you said. Telling lies is a bit strong though mate. Still, good of you to distance yourself from that Lambert out rubbish.

I am no supporter of Lambert for reasons I have clearly laid out and I have also said that if Lambert left I would not be upset - that is not a call for sacking him despite what some may immediately think. (I also agree with many that Lerner has a lot to answer for)

I don't buy into what I see as the "emperors new clothes" syndrome that surrounds him, nor do I think that he is a particularly good manager, especially in the circumstances that we find ourselves in. The reality is that we are stuck with him and I cannot see that turning out well for the club. Like many managers in the Premier League, e.g. Coyle, Jewell, etc, he has been found to be lacking in what makes a promising manager into a good (successful) manager. Rob (NV) posted #Lambertout. I "liked" that - I shouldn't have to explain why I am "liking" posts but I will here - For me someone who's views on Football and AVFC especially I respect like Rob, for him to now have a view on Lambert similar to mine I "like".

Things may turn out fantastic under Lambert - I doubt that - and that is great for all concerned because it means that Villa are doing well and some on here especially can sit counting the points they have scored. Things may turn out (further) crap under Lambert and that gives no one any pleasure because ultimately it means that Villa are doing poor.

So little of what I have seen from Lambert during his time at Villa has impressed me, from the poor performances to the shite tactics to frankly baflling transfers etc, I just don't "get" the bloke, nor do I "get" the adulation and unwavering defending of him at all costs that seem to prevail at times.

Lets see what the future brings but if we carrying on bumbling along like we are then I will - and I suspect others - make comments as to why we are not happy with things

• Like 1

Genuinely intrigued at why people are not worried that he will be "poached"

I am. I think he's the best of what spurs could get at the moment. Premier League experience, kept us up last season with comparatively little investment, overachieving with us considering the wages and transfer budget.

I think it'd be a low risk choice for them and I hope they don't see that.

So Lambert has overachieved with us.

Its like Lerner has employed a hypnotist and put certain fans in a trance.

We appear to have gone from wasting money on expensive flops to wasting money on cheap flops. Kind of ironic.

If a cheap player flops then at least he can be sold without too much difficulty, hasn't cost too much and may see part of the fee recouped as he cost next to nothing anyway. When a player on big wages is a flop there's very little chance of shifting him on and we're stuck with him, draining our resources.

By the way, there's little to no irony in your post.  ;)

• Like 3

We've come from behind to beat Arsenal and Man.City, that's it. Two games out of sixteen this season. The second half against West Brom further emphasises my point they've we've played well at various points of the season for 45 minutes only. We're hardly the come back kings, c'mon. We see things differently I guess but I just can't agree that this squad has a never say die attitude I'm afraid.

Except we have recovered more points from a losing position than any other team in the league so..... I guess we are!

• Like 1

I think you underestimate the damage of buying and failing on the cheap. Attendances and interest is massively on the slide. We have become mind numbingly awful to watch especially at home, the irony is we are saving money but actually we are losing support , good will and interest . Randy once said he was the custodian of this club. The definition of custodian is to care for , look after and protect. He probably doesn't realise he's doing it but he's slowly killing the club.

I'm not so sure that there will be many teams lining up to purchase our 'flops' no matter how cheap they are.

As it stands at the moment we have a second bomb squad forming in behind the first one if Lambert walks or is sacked.

• Like 1

I think you underestimate the damage of buying and failing on the cheap. Attendances and interest is massively on the slide. We have become mind numbingly awful to watch especially at home, the irony is we are saving money but actually we are losing support , good will and interest . Randy once said he was the custodian of this club. The definition of custodian is to care for , look after and protect. He probably doesn't realise he's doing it but he's slowly killing the club.

Exactly. This is a Lerner issue.  Lambert is doing alright with what he has to play with.