Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I'm not so sure that there will be many teams lining up to purchase our 'flops' no matter how cheap they are.

As it stands at the moment we have a second bomb squad forming in behind the first one if Lambert walks or is sacked.

I would think that the likes of Bacuna, Sylla, Westwood, Lowton, Luna could be sold for more than the combined £4 million we paid for them.  Their wages wouldn't put of too many championship clubs or or European leagues if it came to it.

Lambert has had plenty of money to play with.

From where we were, as relegation fodder under McLeish with a huge wage bill £22m per season (going on the figures in the press) is not enough for us to do anything than be a lower-midtable team.

Plus the wages we can offer will only attract players with potential, and the thing with potential is that it's not a guarantee to a successful purchase.  

Can't really be bothered to go on with this any longer, really. It's fairly subjective if you think particular players are giving it their all. I'll weigh up the stats at the end of the season and if we've amassed more points than everyone else from losing positions I'll say fair enough but I just can't see a squad that has any more desire or fight than any one else. In fact the last few games have shown the opposite. Not that I'm not saying players aren't trying, just not at all seeing this never say die business. 

Genuinely intrigued at why people are not worried that he will be "poached"

I am. I think he's the best of what spurs could get at the moment. Premier League experience, kept us up last season with comparatively little investment, overachieving with us considering the wages and transfer budget.

I think it'd be a low risk choice for them and I hope they don't see that.

So Lambert has overachieved with us.

Its like Lerner has employed a hypnotist and put certain fans in a trance.

Why would any bigger club want to poach Lambert? His strength seems to be building a squad on a very small budget, he is not a great tactician and has no experience of managing a big club, European competitions as a manager etc. he doesn't seem to tick any of the boxes that a bigger club would want.

I am. I think he's the best of what spurs could get at the moment. Premier League experience, kept us up last season with comparatively little investment, overachieving with us considering the wages and transfer budget.

To me, for the finances that have been provided, against what realistically has been required since McLeish went, he's overachieving at 11th spot. It gets no more complicated than that.

• Like 1

Can't really be bothered to go on with this any longer, really. It's fairly subjective if you think particular players are giving it their all. I'll weigh up the stats at the end of the season and if we've amassed more points than everyone else from losing positions I'll say fair enough but I just can't see a squad that has any more desire or fight than any one else. In fact the last few games have shown the opposite. Not that I'm not saying players aren't trying, just not at all seeing this never say die business. 

Well my point was purely in your post about not being the comeback kings. Statistically speaking at this point in time we are. You can't move the goalpost to the end of the season to judge something that doesn't suit your argument now. 

• Like 3

Just out of interest Morpheus, where would you rank the quality of our squad on paper, and the level of funding compared to other premier league clubs (we'd all be guessing of course, but based on the wages other clubs seem prepared to offer).

I'd say around 16th for both?  I'd be interested in your view. 

Well my point was purely in your post about not being the comeback kings. Statistically speaking at this point in time we are. You can't move the goalpost to the end of the season to judge something that doesn't suit your argument now. 

This x1000 tbf.

We have the best/2nd best amount of points from losing positions in the league right now. That categorically proves your point wrong nobler.

What they says about our ability to not concede early is another matter :D

Because I don't see that stat as being the be all and end all of proof that the squad is hugely united, with an incredible desire to never lose a football game and fighting for everything, particularly after just sixteen games. Is that what you're really seeing in the performances? I'm not seeing it, that's all. That was the original point I was responding to. 

Because I don't see that stat as being the be all and end all of proof that the squad is hugely united, with an incredible desire to never lose a football game and fighting for everything, particularly after just sixteen games. Is that what you're really seeing in the performances? I'm not seeing it, that's all. That was the original point I was responding to. 

But you clearly write 'we're hardly the come back kings' (your words, not anybody else's and that is all Stan is commenting on) and all Stan has done is completely refute that with the accurate stat that we have the most/2nd most points from winning positions in the league. Surely that isn't something that can refuted. It's a fact and it can't be manipulated (the way some stats can be) because, as I said, you initially made the point that 'we're hardly the comeback kings'. It doesn't really matter if you can't 'see it'. You made a point, was proven wrong and now you can't accept that so you've moved the goalposts.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

That's fair and I agree to an extent, but I think that stat shows we perhaps have a little more character than we give credit for.

Did Lambert really expect to do well with a bunch of players from lower leagues worth an average of 2 million each in the "Premier league". This team would be no where near QPR in the Championship. Lambert was never gonna make this team play there hearts out every game and it really shows. Nearly everyone was saying it could never work and I really don't think it is.

In the end Lambert took the job he new the restraints and had the belief we would become a quality entertaining team. In my eyes he has not achieved this, so who's to blame???

This would be QPR, the most expensively assembled relegated team ever who are light years ahead of the 11th placed team in the premiership......got you  ;)

Ok i take your point. Although I doubt we are any better than, Burnley, Leicester, Derby even. I think we would struggle to get out of the championship.

.....and yet we're 11th in the premiership???? Good job only three championship clubs are promoted each year, sounds like they would take the premiership by storm

This x1000 tbf.

We have the best/2nd best amount of points from losing positions in the league right now. That categorically proves your point wrong nobler.

What they says about our ability to not concede early is another matter :D

this stat about winning from losing positions - arsenal and man city matches, have i missed any more?

Most points from losing positions.

arsenal, man city and albion matches then?

7 points from losing positions. Not bad is it? Best/2nd best in the league (I know we used to be top but we might have dropped after the weekend). But twist it into a negative it's cool :)

• Like 2