Paul Lambert

Pilchard

we have been incredibly patient with him too. Lots of teams fans would have been on his back with last seasons form and results. I think we have been great fans. Were aloud (allowed) to moan every now and then to get it off our chest.

I wouldn't have said so

yeah I ouldn't say we would be in a spot of bother by not beating sunderland, we will have missed a good chance to keep pace with the top half of the table, but we'd have to do more than not beat sunderland to be in  aspot of bother from where we are now...

at this stage of the season not beating anyone is not the end of the world, but things in football are not static they are dynamic and results and performances form opinions and trends develop.

it is much easier at our stage of development to slip in to a downward spiral rather than go on a winning run.

Every game in the premier league is important and Sunderland is no exception, just like goals change games and get results, so do good performances.

I have a sneaky suspicion that a good performance can have as equally a good effect on a player as a win.

I want to see some good habits returning against Sunderland and the ability to put teams to the sword..... a bit of old fashioned assertion and determination to succeed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

at this stage of the season not beating anyone is not the end of the world, but things in football are not static they are dynamic and results and performances form opinions and trends develop.

it is much easier at our stage of development to slip in to a downward spiral rather than go on a winning run.

Every game in the premier league is important and Sunderland is no exception, just like goals change games and get results, so do good performances.

I have a sneaky suspicion that a good performance can have as equally a good effect on a player as a win.

I want to see some good habits returning against Sunderland and the ability to put teams to the sword..... a bit of old fashioned assertion and determination to succeed.

I hear what you're saying TRO and it's because of that uncertainty due to change that I actually think we might struggle against Sunderland. I just feel that we have players maybe coming back who won't be 100% and they will be wanting revenge for the tanking they got last season. They might also be hurting from a few recent harsh decisions against them.

It would not surprise me at all if Lambert has to come out with the good old "we weren't good enough today. We gave it our best and we had a few that weren't fully match fit but there's no excuses. But, as we've shown in the past, we'll pick ourselves and go again".

what puzzles me a times with some fans...its as if you can't say what you see...without fear of pissing on someone's chips.

We are all Villa Fans together and we all want the team to do well, but to dismiss a bad performance with a plethora of excuses, just winds other fans up and is an insult to their intelligence.

So If someone doesn't agree that a performance is as bad as you think, or that there are reasons (sorry 'a plethora of excuses') for a bad performance they are not supposed to make their point because it 'just winds other fans up and is an insult to their intelligence'

So we can say what we see, as long as it agrees with your opinion.

Yea the game isn't must win at all it isn't like we are on course to go down however its the kind of game we need to be winning if we are going to finish in the top 10

Absolutely. Or even to avoid getting embroiled in another relegation struggle.

it was Lambert's choice was it not to replace experienced Premiership players with inexperienced lower league and foreign players not used to the rigours of the Premiership immediately rather than on a gradual basis.

No, I imagine it was the basis on which he took over the club to clear the decks. Also, I believe that retaining old guard would have hindered rather than helped.

Lambert took over a shambles and has turned us around in double quick time and on a shoestring

- His last 38 games (last 26 last and first 12 of this) would have had us finishing 9th in last seasons table

- We are 6 points better off than at the same time last season, despite the toughtest of all possible starts

- We are 8 points better off on a like for like basis

You only have to take a look at Norwich who have declined since he left them, despite a summer spending spree, to see the calibre of manager we have

10th-12th this season, easily top 10 the following season (better if he gets some money to spend)

You could be right concerning his remit but I believe Lambert stated after his first transfer window with us that the chairman made money available to buy more established players but he decided to go down a different route.

As for your other points I have already stated my own opinion on those in a debate with another poster although I would say that any judgement made on Lambert's tenure with us shouldn't exclude the difficulties last season just to suit your debate.

I don't believe that money was available to buy more established players and I also don't recall Lambert saying this - Clearly he would have liked to buy players like Kiyotake or Sissoko but was not able to afford either the fees or the wages.

As far as I'm concerned the "difficulties of last season" you refer to were;

1) at the start of the season - this was totally to do with the hangover from McL and the need to completely overhaul the playing staff. The fact that we saw improvement so quickly was remarkable given the circumstances

and

2) a bad loss of form over the Christmas period - this can happen to any team but young, inexperienced and newly formed teams are probably more susceptable. Again this was sorted out and the form to the end of the season saw constant and sustained improvement

If you thought that Lambert would take over the absolute and utter shambles left by McL, transform the squad on a shoestring and radically improve the playing style all within a few weeks then to borrow your phrase you are in "Cloud Cuckoo Land"

I'm not much interested in discussing last season - hopefully PL will be with us for some years and when we do look back on his tenure, I'm sure the difficulties to which you keep referring will be seen for what they were - tough and neccessary changes to get the club back on the right track

If Lambert's last 38 games were during a complete season it would have been good enough for a 9th place finish - surely you can admit that that is remarkable considering the situation he inherited and the meagre resources that have been available to him

This constant knocking of Lambert is getting boring. I suggest you get behind your manager and your team - I'm sure you'll enjoy the season much more

This is an interesting article. It's not the one where Lambert was quoted as saying that money was available for more established stars as i'm unable to find it but it does rule out the notion that Lambert's remit was to revamp the club by only purchasing less experienced young players which i've seen quoted on here several times. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/9513172/Aston-Villa-manager-Paul-Lambert-hit-back-after-spending-over-20m-on-players-without-Premier-League-experience.html

To answer point one of your post i would have to repeat what i've already stated in a previous debate with 'terrytini' so instead of doing that think we'll have to agree to disagree on the said point. 

Your second point is interesting in that you imply that i expected a radical change in our playing style within a few weeks. I would suggest that you would find it a tad difficult to quote where i've said that. I can tell you however what i didn't expect.

Lambert introducing radical change too quickly with the consequence that our team broke all the wrong records leaving us securing our Premiership status with just one game to go and thats a marked difference from what you've implied earlier so it's no surprise at all that you don't wish to discuss last season.

You last point on getting behind the manager and team was answered more elegantly by 'Tro' than i ever could. 

what puzzles me a times with some fans...its as if you can't say what you see...without fear of pissing on someone's chips.

We are all Villa Fans together and we all want the team to do well, but to dismiss a bad performance with a plethora of excuses, just winds other fans up and is an insult to their intelligence.

So If someone doesn't agree that a performance is as bad as you think, or that there are reasons (sorry 'a plethora of excuses') for a bad performance they are not supposed to make their point because it 'just winds other fans up and is an insult to their intelligence'

So we can say what we see, as long as it agrees with your opinion.

Guess that could be the case with everything, but anything anyone says on here is their opinion and that facts could be counted on one hand.

I guess too it would be pretty difficult quoting someone else's opinion, so it's always going to be our own.

As for the opinion on performance, I would hazard a guess that someone would find a positive in the 8-0 thrashing by Chelsea....i suppose there is always someone that will busy themselves to do so.

Ps I am interested by all the opinions on here, don't always agree with them and they don't agree with me.....doesn't stop me enjoying other fans opinions....even if I do find them puzzling.

Edited by TRO

Yea the game isn't must win at all it isn't like we are on course to go down however its the kind of game we need to be winning if we are going to finish in the top 10
I think Sunderland will be hyped up for this after their 6-1 last outing at Villa park. Though i think there defence is still shocking especially in the air. Dont be surprised to see Bentekke and Kozack up front. Gabby wont start as it showed against west brom he was only able for 15-20 mins Edited by HeyAnty

As for the opinion on performance, I would hazard a guess that someone would find a positive in the 8-0 thrashing by Chelsea....i suppose there is always someone that will busy themselves to do so.

Guzan played well that game :)

Thank you...I agree too....but it was a game I was happy to be negative about, just wanted to wallow in the negativity of it all...that's one of the reasons I wouldn't make a football manager.

I think Sunderland will be hyped up for this after their 6-1 last outing at Villa park. Though i think there defence is still shocking especially in the air. Dont be surprised to see Bentekke and Kozack up front. Gabby wont start as it showed against west brom he was only able for 15-20 mins

I don't have the time to follow other club, so correct me if I am wrong. Haven't Sunderland had a massive turnover in player since last season?

If so, I doubt the new players know about or care about the score last season.

I think Sunderland will be hyped up for this after their 6-1 last outing at Villa park. Though i think there defence is still shocking especially in the air. Dont be surprised to see Bentekke and Kozack up front. Gabby wont start as it showed against west brom he was only able for 15-20 mins
I don't have the time to follow other club, so correct me if I am wrong. Haven't Sunderland had a massive turnover in player since last season?

Apparently they haven't forgot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25007494

Apparently they haven't forgot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25007494

Gabby just look slike he's pissing himself laughing in that picture :D

For those that criticise Lambert for saying we played well and such after games in which some of us believe we didn't play well at all, here is an interview that Vlaar had with The Sun:

"He lets us know in private but I cannot think of one instance since I've been here where he has criticised any of us in public," he told The Sun.

"He always protects his players and that is appreciated within the dressing room.

"He would rather take the blame himself than blame one of us in front of the fans.

"It's really helped us through some difficult times."

"We all know managers who will take pressure off themselves by criticising players publicly," he said.

"But ours is always easy and relaxed when he talks to the media about us and we trust him.

"That's what we did last year and we managed to avoid relegation. This year we've learned from our mistakes and so we are aiming higher."

Edited by samjp26