Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Devil's advocate. Players go in at HT to a chorus of boos and resolve to make sure it's not the same at FT. Fans played their part in ensuring a better 2nd half.

Retort, the players aren't stupid. They know that they haven't played well and will need a confidence boost, not a kick in the teeth from tens of thousands of people.

It's possible that, psychologically, a polite round of applause at HT might've made them think everyone was content with more of the same. Plus, the fact they're not stupid could equally mean the boos are not in fact counter-productive.

I doubt they're that dense. How so? Having thousands of people criticise me when I'm not playing well wouldn't spur me on. It would do the opposite. And I doubt I'm unique in that regard.

Sat fairly central in the Holte End I heard a bit of booing. I say 'a bit' because I could have made as much noise on my own. Putting aside the slightly dissatisfied mutterers (I don't class them as booers), I'd be surprised if there were more than a couple of dozen actually booing. When I turned to looked back up the Holte, I could see hundreds of faces, none of them booing. I guess it's a sound that caries well. At less than 0.1% of the attendence, it is annoying that such a low proportion of the crowd can grab some headlines as it feels like focusing on the number of Monster Raving Loony Party votes after a general election result.

The fans' only way to tell the players to sort themselves out is to boo. Devil's advocate was suggesting that yesterday it might've worked. You don't do your day job in front of 40,000 people. They do, so I'm sure they're able to not only deal with booing but also to use it to their advantage as motivation.

Not to take this too academic, but this is the basic argument on whether it is more effective to punish bad behavior or incentivize good. Studies suggest it is much better to incentivize good.

If there is no good to praise, however...

Not to take this too academic, but this is the basic argument on whether it is more effective to punish bad behavior or incentivize good. Studies suggest it is much better to incentivize good.

If there is no good to praise, however...

Exactly. All they're doing is airing frustration.

I don't get how anybody can defend booing at HT. Especially when you're not even losing.

We were very poor in the first half, easily second best against a poor side, a team who have looked dreadful on the road this season. Also, the fact fans had sat through 7+ hours without a goal, doesn't help. If I pay and others pay, we can voice are dissatisfaction when we are not happy. It's not always counter-productive, as I thought we were much better in the second half. A kick up the backsides from the fans and manager can help sometimes too.

What I would say is there is a big difference between letting the team know that the half you've just watched isn't good enough and of picking on an individual player for booing during a game. I would never condone that because as Stefan says, that would not motivate him. If anything you cripple the player and make him afraid to go near the ball. But the collective? And only at half time? Nowt wrong with that and the result bears that out. Whether or not the fans did have an effect. The fact is their booing did not negatively impact the outcome.

• Like 1

I'm not going to slate anyone for booing, though I personally have no taste for it. I'm just not a big fan of moaners in general. 

But Cardiff could have played another game and wouldn't have scored. Kozak was closer to scoring than any other Cardiff players, so I think all talk of us being second best is wrong. Not at our best, but we picked it up with a thread bare squad. We don't really have the type of team that can sustain a lot of injuries.

What about the cheering when KEA came off? It's just all a bit silly.

That's different and I don't condone that at all.

I know, I was just moving the debate forward because it could have easily become stale.

PL would do well to remember the excellent support he received after some horrendous home results last season, PL'S claret and blue army being sung at 0-4 down to Spurs anyone?

The first half was very poor and it follows previously losing 4/5 at home, some of those games when we haven't been booed off at half time despite losing. Lambert is wrong on this one for me.

PL would do well to remember the excellent support he received after some horrendous home results last season, PL'S claret and blue army being sung at 0-4 down to Spurs anyone?

The first half was very poor and it follows previously losing 4/5 at home, some of those games when we haven't been booed off at half time despite losing. Lambert is wrong on this one for me.

All he said was there was some frustration, didn't he? He didn't even complain, he just pointed it out. He described the event. 

edit...the complaints come from villatalk. 

Edited by praisedmambo

Interesting how relatively quiet this thread has been almost a full day since our game ;)

95 posts since the final whistle yesterday.

How much "noise" do you think would be about right?

Well for comparison, there were around 200 in the same timeframe after a boring 0-0 draw last week. Easier to discuss the negatives I guess *shrug*.

If the team is playing far from their potential, or if they're doing a bad job. I don't see anything wrong with letting them know at half time. Let them know, and support them fully when they enter the Pitch again for second half.
You know those people who turn up for an audition at American Idol and signs horribly, who themselves believe they're doing a great job. Because they used to get pats on their back and a "You're signing great, son!
Allways supporting the team might do them a dissfavour. Booing during the match or targeting a single player is something I'm completley against though!

• Like 1