considering getting a dog

leemond2008

rite then fellow VTers I am after some advice if possible.

I am considering getting a dog, but don't know if its feasible or not. I have always had dog's since I was a kid and just lately I cant stop thinking about getting one to keep me company.

the cons...

I live in a two bedroom flat (it's a really decent sized flat so space isn't an issue)

I live on my own

I work (I'm normally out of the flat from 8am till 5:30pm)

me and my old flatmate gave it a try before but the dog was seriously mistreated and had some major issues, you couldn't leave her alone for more than 90 seconds without her pissing and shitting every where or destroying everything, she would literally be left alone for 1 hour maximum when my flatmate was leaving for work and I was on my way home from work, it got to the point where we had to get rid of her. We did absolutely everything possible but after 6 months we realized that it was too much for us.

the pro's

the people downstairs have a boxer and he is absolutely fine (normally left alone from about 7:30am till 3pm.

I could take it out for decent walks 2 or 3 times a day (before work, when I got home from work and again in the evening if needed)

getting it out to do its business wouldn't be a problem when I was home (it's not like I would have to go down 5 flights of stairs every time it needed to go out)

there are 3 good sized parks with in walking distance

now if (and it is still a massive IF) I was to get one could it work with a dog being left alone for that long?

what sort of breed would be the best to go for? preferably a medium sized dog which typically only needs small to medium amounts of exercise and is quite calm by nature.

as I say it is just a question I more than likely wont end up getting one because of the time issue of it being left on its own but was just wondering what peoples thoughts were or if anyone here has had a dog in a similar situation.

nah I wouldn't be able to afford a dog sitter, our old dog was left alone for a fair few hours at a time (normally something like 7 till 12 and then 1 till 5:30 and she was fine)

wouldn't want a cat, plus the dog downstairs would probably rip it apart

Don't do it dude, not that I don't think for one second that you'll care for it and love it but dogs are very family-oriented pets. They love to be in company and get very lonely if not.

I think its cruel to get a dog then leave it on its own for that long TBH.

The dog will probably start to look for its own entertainment, then you will have some fun on your hands!

What do you do for a job, any chance you could bring it with you?

I work (I'm normally out of the flat from 8am till 5:30pm)

That right there is the reason you can't get one.

1. for the dog's sake. That's too loing to leave it on it's own. It'lll probably drive itself mental.

2. For your sake. If your dog has been home alone all that time, you have to spend time with it when you get home. You can't pop to the pub or the gym after work instead, otherwise it'll be alone for longer. And it'll drive itself even more mental if it's expecting you back in the evening and you don't show up.

You can't leave it on it's own overnight, which means you can't ever spend the night away without getting a dog sitter.

I sympathise with you, because I bloody love dogs and I seriously looked into getting one myself when I got a place of my own. But I decided that because I live alone, and I'm also out of the house all day at work, it just isn't practical. It's not fai ron the dog, and it's more of a burden than you realise. I know from going out with a girl who live don her own with a dog that it seriously affects your social life (assuming you treat it right)

I'd say the same rule applies to cats. I know people keep "indoor cats" that never get to go outside - in fact my parents did it when I was a kid. But I consider it unfair on the animal - they need to have some room to roam.

To have a cat you need a garden as a minimum; for a dog you need someone at home during the day as well.

Â