Moving to Birmingham from Dublin - Advice please

WilcoYHF

Hi all,

It looks like I've to move to Birmingham if I want to keep my job (it would happen the year villa face a relegation battle!) I'm probably going to get temporary accommodation for a couple of months until I get to know the place but in the mean time I'd like to know what areas I might be interested in. I currently live in Ranelagh, a very central suburb of Dublin that is very affluent with loads of pubs and restaurants, there are lots of rented accommodation hence my ability to live there! Are there any similar suburbs of Birmingham, the cental location is not that necessary, I could probably live up to 20/25 miles outside the city.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd say St Paul's Square is a very good shout. It's a really pretty part of town and there are lots of bars and restaurants there. It's oddly quiet as well considering it's right bang in the city centre.

Solihull is OK (probably wise to avoid 'north' Solihull :) - similar to maybe Finglas) but nights out are full of kids who can't handle their drink or wrinkly slappers (Saddlers Arms!). It has a kind of a 'night of the living dead' feel to it during the daytime because of all the old people that live there.

Don't know about Sutton. Other side to me.

Edited by RunRickyRun

Firstly, welcome to Birmingham mate. It's a great city and I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

I only know South Birmingham well,so based on what you have indicated as being important I would suggest Harborne or Moseley as well.

Both have active high streets with plenty of shops,restaurants and pubs/bars.

Harborne is about 2 miles/10 minutes from Broad Street (City centre) with lots of entertainment options, probably going to be the same from Moseley.

Harborne is very pleasant. Popular for students and young professionals. Easy to find a nice place to rent right off the high street with easy access to facilities and transport into town.

Moseley has a bit more 'character' about it I would say, and a more varied mix of people. If you like currys you are in luck, as the Balti triangle is just a few minutes away. Probably more of a challenge to get something directly off the high street here but plenty of places within a 5 to 10 minute walk.

If you want to live in town itself, Jewellry quarter/St Pauls square might be of interest.

Sutton is nice. Plus you have the cross city line which goes through places such as Wylde Green, Sutton Coldfield, Four Oaks etc so it's pretty straight forward to get into the city centre

I'd say St Paul's Square is a very good shout. It's a really pretty part of town and there are lots of bars and restaurants there. It's oddly quiet as well considering it's right bang in the city centre.

Solihull is OK (probably wise to avoid 'north' Solihull :) - similar to maybe Finglas) but nights out are full of kids who can't handle their drink or wrinkly slappers (Saddlers Arms!). It has a kind of a 'night of the living dead' feel to it during the daytime because of all the old people that live there.

Don't know about Sutton. Other side to me.

This!!! Moseley is also a good shout. As is Harborne.

Solihull is too full of 'Brummie Essex boys' (basically total word removed twunts who dress/act like they should be living in Essex!!!

Â