Moving to Birmingham from Dublin - Advice please

WilcoYHF

Solihull is a greta place to live. But it's pretty expensive to buy, not sure abotu renting but I imagien it'd be the same.

Nights out there aren't great (chaaaaaavs) and you're a bit far from Birmingham so that's a downside. But purely for living it's great, imo.

I'd echo the shouts for Moseley. Close enough to the city centre to have easy access but far enough away to be out of it. Also a cracking nightlife in Moseley itself. My only advice would be to make sure you view any flat you might be renting properly. From experience of friends I have who live there, the accomodation varies wildly from amazing to awful, all within 100 yards of each other!

St Paul's Square and other places in the Jewellery Quarter are also really nice, but it is city centre living and you sounded like you'd prefer a suburb. If you dont' mind the centre though I'd definitely suggest there, Again a great nightlife right outside your door in the JQ.

Just to agree with what a lot of people have already said really. Solihull is lovely, if you can find a place in central Solihull then you have a really nice area with ridiculously good links into central Birmingham. There is a bus every seven minutes and a train every ten minutes or so. It's a six minute journey on non stop trains, probably ten or twelve on the stopping ones.

Within the city limits, again, St Paul's Square is nice, but probably every bit as expensive as Solihull but it's walking distance from the city centre (some would consider St Paul's square the city centre I guess) there are also city centre apartments at Masshouse (east side of the city centre) and in the Routunda (which is in the Bullring, basically as central as ****) which are probably a bit cheaper, but not much. St Pauls is probably where I would go to if I were moving into Birmingham on my own and didnt have a car.

Deritend is, er, lively. Again, you can walk into town and a lot of money has been spent on that part of the city over recent years. Definitely a place for twentysomethings as far as I can tell and yes, you will be able to see the temple of doom from your bedroom window if you live out that way.

Sutton Coldfield is nice. Might be a bit far out (20 minutes on the train) but it's got a good train service and is handy for the Villa too. Harborne is another upmarket area, Moseley is nice but I dont know it that well.

Yeah just to clarify, when I said SOlihull is a bit far from Brimingham, I was talking for nights out (a taxi back at 3 in the morning would probably set you back £25)

But for your normal day to day travelling and commute, getting from Solihull to Birmingham is a piece of piss.

Edited by Stevo985

Looks like the gf won't be coming therefore I'll be looking for an apartment in the centre. St Pauls square or north and south of Broad st look good would I be right?

I'd avoid being too close to Broad Street. Nice place to visit during the day but very noisy at night.

Edited by RunRickyRun

Seconded. I'd give it about three weekends before you get utterly pissed off with living on Broad Street. St Pauls is barely ten minutes walk away.

While i wouldn't choose to live in the City Centre (its a shithole IMO) if i was forced then I would look at St Pauls over Broad St area.

Echo other peoples comments... Edgbaston, Harborne and Moseley if you want to live close to the city... if you don't mind a bit of extra travel then Sutton Coldfield is nice.

More importantly do you play Gaelic football or hurling? John Mitchels are the club for you! Great bunch of lads and ladies and great social too.

P.s where are you gonna be working? Do you drive? Info would help to recommend best spot to live.

Edited by bully

Harborne is great - lots of shops and pubs, cafes etc and is only a 10 minute bus ride away from the centre itself. Some parts of it are also very affluent with others not so much but it is in walking distance to Selly Oak (Birmingham Uni student area - if that is your thing) and is walkable from a night on the tiles. When I'm in Brum and decide to walk home after a night on the lash, I always nip through "The Vale" at the Uni for good old sentimental reasons and it's a jolly lovely place to be.

Edited by trekka

More importantly do you play Gaelic football or hurling? John Mitchels are the club for you! Great bunch of lads and ladies and great social too.

P.s where are you gonna be working? Do you drive? Info would help to recommend best spot to live.

St Chads>Erin go Bragh>John Mitchells.

If you're after a decent selection of pubs and places to eat then I'd recommend Moseley without doubt. It's a little more pricey than some of the other areas mentioned but it's an excellent 'evening' place. Places don't stay open really late (most pubs close at 11 in the week and only a handful stay open later at weekends) but there's so many nice bars and restaurants and it's got a really nice comminuity feel.

I moved from Moseley to Kings Heath in August, and although Kings Heath is nice, I really want to move back to Moseley.

If Moseley is a bit pricey then Harborne is another decent shout for you. I can't comment on Solihull, I've only passed through it.

Â