The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I actually disagree with most here and think he should start in the next league game. He has earned it after that performance and Guzan has looked a bit shaky lately (but tbf, who hasn't).

I'd second that, give Given a run of games. He's still a top class keeper...

Disagree, as good as he was today it wouldn't be long before we start conceding from corners/set pieces on a regular basis again.

• Like 1

There's fundamental flaws that's always been in Givens game. One decent game with one excellent save won't change that.

But I'm glad he's put a little pressure on Guzan...his form has dipped this year.

I actually couldn't believe he saved it. Stunning.

But any shouts for him to start ahead of guzan are, IMO, ludicrous.

It was a good performance but he didn't exactly have much to do.

He'll have to do a lot more to push Guzan out of the team.

• Like 2

Given played alongside Sherwood at Blackburn and after today's performance I can see him replacing Guzan for the foreseeable future.

I very much doubt it.

The last thing Tim will want to do is divide the dressing room.

And immediately dropping the number 1 keeper who's been almost always superb for us would probably get a lot of people on his back

When is the last time Given had a clean sheet?

Blackpool in the FA cup this year. 

Shame. I was hoping to impress someone with some wild statistic.

Shay Given hasn't had a clean sheet since 1997. Yes that'll do fine.

Everyone play along

It would surprise me.

If Sherwood doesn't know already, he'll have some sort of team report given to him.

And the report will say that Guzan has been more or less and ever present for 3 seasons and has been consistently one of our best players.

To make Given number 1 after a good performance in the cup, but one where he only faced two shots on target, one of which he dropped, would be crazy.

• Like 1

It would surprise me.

If Sherwood doesn't know already, he'll have some sort of team report given to him.

And the report will say that Guzan has been more or less and ever present for 3 seasons and has been consistently one of our best players.

To make Given number 1 after a good performance in the cup, but one where he only faced two shots on target, one of which he dropped, would be crazy.

Yes, but this season Guzan haven't been as consistant. I think it's fair to give Given a chance now.

It would surprise me.

Yes, but this season Guzan haven't been as consistant. I think it's fair to give Given a chance now.

In the most important run of games in our whole season? Possibly in our whole premier league history?

Sorry, that's not "fair". That's mental.

People are overreacting due to one save. It was a stunning save, but that doesn't suddenly make him better than Guzan.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Â