U.S. Politics

maqroll

Us airlines have policies for hiring pilots on qutoas. Not the best pilots.

So who would you rather fly with. The one that meets the quotas or the one with the best pilots 

Boeing has a self identifying questions to answer when applying for engineering jobs, and quotas to meet. That's not to say they don't get the best but why do they need that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think the source of information changing is the key issue. Where and from whom people get their news. It started in the US when they were allowed create partizan news channels in the 80s. Stopped the laws requiring TV networks to show impartial news. From there

I'd certainly argue that the roots of the problem pre-date the 1980's and the ditching of the Fairness Doctrine in '87. Bernays was writing books about propagana in the 20's and helping the CIA overthrow democraticaly elected foreign governments (Guatamala et al) in the 50's. The film Network was made in '76.

it's just spiraled with the internet and particularly social media where people get fed "news" which keeps them engaged on a platform. Also negative emotions keep people more engaged than positive, so "news" which people are outraged by is what to feed people. I think we are seeing the consequences of that in our society.

I do think more people are realising this effect now, there is a rise of people being more aware information you are fed is via other people and they will add their spin or their views to the information, or sometimes completely misrepresent something. Now AI will be able to create legit fake video footage means people will be foreced to disbelieve more and more.

Agree with this bit. I'd add that it's very much by design. Surkov's 'non linear warfare' is hardly confined to Putin's Russia.

The ditching of the Fairness Doctrine certainly helps to enable the misinformation of the post truth era imo, but it hardly codified impartiality, much like our ofcom rules. It more stated that opposing opinion(s) must be presented alongside others, with hindsight perhaps leading to the birth of counterpoint journalism, itself I'd argue contributing massively to the proverbial race to the bottom in news standards.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, colhint said:

Us airlines have policies for hiring pilots on qutoas. Not the best pilots.

Are there any airlines that have a practical demonstration of ability before they hire someone? No idea but I seriously doubt it as all candidates will have the minimum requirements of licensing by the relevant authority. What would be the reason one pilot didn't get hired over another?

• Like 1

Which is true in an ideal world. But in such large organisations, where your boss is getting hammered on quotas do you not think some people might just be looking out for themselves. And how does it work with one female and one black male. Is there some hierarchy.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Are there any airlines that have a practical demonstration of ability before they hire someone? No idea but I seriously doubt it as all candidates will have the minimum requirements of licensing by the relevant authority. What would be the reason one pilot didn't get hired over another?

One may have  5000 more air miles than the other. So loads more experience. One may have had to handle malfunctions and dealt with them.

1 minute ago, colhint said:

One may have  5000 more air miles than the other. So loads more experience. One may have had to handle malfunctions and dealt with them.

That wouldn't make you more qualified though

Well something's going wrong in the engineering department. And as they are a manufacturer rather than commercial airline, I'm sure the pilots are mainly test pilots, reporting issues. Now I have know knowledge of the workforce, whatever the breakdown, but there is less confidence in them now reflecting in the 30% drop in share price.

Edited by colhint

2 hours ago, colhint said:

Which is true in an ideal world. But in such large organisations, where your boss is getting hammered on quotas do you not think some people might just be looking out for themselves. And how does it work with one female and one black male. Is there some hierarchy.

Whichever quota you are most deficient in.

Well something's going wrong in the engineering department. And as they are a manufacturer rather than commercial airline, I'm sure the pilots are mainly test pilots, reporting issues. Now I have know knowledge of the workforce, whatever the breakdown, but there is less confidence in them now reflecting in the 30% drop in share price.

This has nothing to do with hiring quotas. It's to do with the corner cutting and demand for profits that capitalism loves more than the safety of human life. 

Boeing sold their soul when they merged years ago and this is now the price of it. 

The fact you'd try to spin this as some right wing conspiracy about hiring less qualified people on some sort of quota is laughable. 

• Like 4

This some of the silliest things I've read.

And there is a very direct line in Boeing's acquisition of McDonnell Douglas, the replacement of their board from engineers to business functions, and the prioritization of profits and share price over quality.

There's a certain party that loves to tout reducing regulations and then acting Pikachu shocked when there's more accidents as a result of reduced regulations.

• Like 2

Anyway...

Trump is unable to make $464 million bond in civil fraud case, his lawyers tell court

Former President Donald Trump can’t find an insurance company to underwrite his bond to cover the massive judgment against him in the New York attorney general’s civil fraud case, his lawyers told a New York appeals court.

Trump’s attorneys said he has approached 30 underwriters to back the bond, which is due by the end of this month.

“The amount of the judgment, with interest, exceeds $464 million, and very few bonding companies will consider a bond of anything approaching that magnitude,” Trump’s lawyers wrote. (Trump himself was fined $454 million; the $464 million includes the disgorgement for his adult sons Don Jr. and Eric.)

An insurance broker, Gary Giuletti, who testified for Trump during the civil fraud trial, signed an affidavit stating that securing a bond in the full amount “is a practical impossibility.”

Potential underwriters are seeking cash to back the bond, not properties, according to Trump’s lawyers.

Trump’s lawyers have asked the appeals court to delay posting the bond until his appeal of the case is over, arguing that the value of Trump’s properties far exceed the judgment.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/18/politics/trump-464-million-dollar-bond/index.html

IIRC Trump has said on record in a deposition that he has $400 million in liquid cash assets only last year. I know he owes more than that but it is a good chunk of what he owes...

Unless of course he was lying. Is that perjury in US law?

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

IIRC Trump has said on record in a deposition that he has $400 million in liquid cash assets only last year. I know he owes more than that but it is a good chunk of what he owes...

Unless of course he was lying. Is that perjury in US law?

I don’t think he has to post bond with his liquid assets.

Funnily enough, his properties should be valuable enough to be able to have insurance use it as collateral to post bond. 

But that would require a deep dive into his financials for his properties in other states and who know what that will discover….

Â