U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, blandy said:

Um, because there weren't many? Refugees anyway are just human beings. Religion or lack of religion is, was and still should be irrelevant.

Catching up with the thread so don't know how far this conversation has gone yet...but when people are being targeted for their faith (as Christians absolutely are in Syria & Iraq) then the grounds for recognising their persecution as a minority group are as strong as an ethnic identity - like the Ugandan Asians.

Youre correct to say there aren't many now, but their were pre-ISIS and Syrian civil war.

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

...but when people are being targeted for their faith (as Christians absolutely are in Syria & Iraq) then the grounds for recognising their persecution as a minority group are as strong as an ethnic identity - like the Ugandan Asians.

Ironic as this US administration deliberately omitted the word "Jews" from it's Holocaust day announcement 2 days ago, and justified it as "lots of people suffered during the holocaust."

You're correct to say there aren't many now, but their were pre-ISIS and Syrian civil war.

See Jews circa 1930 - late 40's

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I guess like Brexit, 90% of the people who ticked his box in the election are keeping very quiet... am I right?

No you're not right. Remain supporters in the media are making lots of noise but the Leave lot haven't gone away (current polls confirm we'd vote Leave in a re-run referendum), they're just not shouting because they don't need to.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Ironic as this US administration deliberately omitted the word "Jews" from it's Holocaust day announcement 2 days ago, and justified it as "lots of people suffered during the holocaust."

See Jews circa 1930 - late 40's

What do the Jews have to do with my reply to Blandy's post? 

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

What do the Jews have to do with my reply to Blandy's post? 

...but when people are being targeted for their faith (as Christians absolutely are in Syria & Iraq) then the grounds for recognising their persecution as a minority group are as strong as an ethnic identity - like the Ugandan Asians.

I understood you to mean that Christian refugees should be at the front of the queue over muslims in their application for refugee status (which is what Trump suggested today) 

I found in ironic that 2 days ago the same administration deliberately omitted the word "Jews" from it's Holocaust day announcement. 

Edit (cont'd)

So today the White House is prioritizing one faith/creed/ethnicity over another but in history it's okay to deny specificity because ">insert bland lame excuse here<"

Edited by TheAuthority

Shooting at a mosque in Quebec, at least 5 dead. I think it's fair to say Trump is emboldening a lot of people, so I totally understand protests overseas...need to take a stand against hate even if it's not your country. The Quebecois are typically the most right wing among us along with Albertans and they seem to have their own alt right faction. I remember reading somewhere that ironically Canadians are the fastest growing alt right members.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I understood you to mean that Christian refugees should be at the front of the queue over muslims in their application for refugee status (which is what Trump suggested today) 

I found in ironic that 2 days ago the same administration deliberately omitted the word "Jews" from it's Holocaust day announcement. 

Edit (cont'd)

So today the White House is prioritizing one faith/creed/ethnicity over another but in history it's okay to deny specificity because ">insert bland lame excuse here<"

No, Blandy was saying religion per se as a criteria in determining potential refugee status is irrelevant because we are all human.

I disagree and your example is a good one to illustrate why, sometimes, religion is a perfectly acceptable criteria to determine that status. The Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar would be another current example.

If people are under an increased level of threat due to their religion (see Christians in Iraq & Syria) there is a good case to prioritise them on that basis. Some different flavours of Muslims are killing each other, but they are all killing (or enslaving) Christians...

Edit: ...except the Assad regime. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

Alt right leader who recently refused to denounce Hitler and the KKK 

I'm actually disgusted that people like him are given legitimacy by the actual POTUS in the 21st century. What the hell is going on.

Edited by Keyblade
tweet wasn't embedding

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Alt right leader who recently refused to denounce Hitler and the KKK 

https://mobile.twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/825922972896538626

I'm actually disgusted that people like him are given legitimacy by the actual POTUS in the 21st century. What the hell is going on.

The first punch wasn't enough.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The first punch wasn't enough.

What a loathsome cretin. I can handle straight up racists who'll call you the N word to your face, even sort of respect them in a twisted way. But slimy cowardly ***** like this? The first punch wasn't enough, you're right.

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Like, how the **** did that happen and why is it fine?

A step beyond the usual psychopathic, pocket lining, self serving graspers we've become accustomed to in politics.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

7CwTih1.jpg

:lol:

C3F8ktEW8AA7QER.jpg

A woman that has a mixed race family that voted for Trump. She had a million reasons to not vote for him, I'm struggling to think of the reason she did. WTF was she expecting him to do?

6 minutes ago, Straggler said:

A woman that has a mixed race family that voted for Trump. She had a million reasons to not vote for him, I'm struggling to think of the reason she did. WTF was she expecting him to do?

Give her the moon on a stick he promised. 

There's a few blogs of Trump regret tweets. The schadenfreude is strong.

LOL I'm gonna vote for Trump, that'll send out a message won't it. He's different to all the others. I've got nothing to lose so I'll stick 2 fingers up the system.

Week 1: Gets shafted by the Trump regime.

I wonder how man fall into this category?

I have seen plenty of his supporters who are very happy with his first week in charge and the way things have gone. 

There are many of these people out there, I have no interaction with them on a day to day basis but you can tap into threads of his supporters on the internet so they very much do exist. 

In fact, I suspect the vast majority of people who voted for him are happy with the way things have gone. He's doing exactly what he promised them he would.

• Like 4

Â