The League Cup

samjp26

Low point of last couple of years for me would be losing the SHA away cup game and then them going on to win it. Thought we played quite well that night in a time of really crap football and off-field problems under Houllier, before we picked up really late on in that season.

The Tranmere semi-final still stays with me as prob the most special memory of any match I've been to. When K.Richardson blazed over we were down and out, then when Daley slotted home without a care in the world and Bosnich blocked the next one we were in dreamland!

You all know we're going to get Chelski though don't you? They will batter Leeds tonight and we will inevitably get them and over 2 legs they will beat us.

(I'm taking the same approach to the Liverpool match thread where I predicted a 3-0 stuffing so fingers crossed)

You all know we're going to get Chelski though don't you? They will batter Leeds tonight and we will inevitably get them and over 2 legs they will beat us.

(I'm taking the same approach to the Liverpool match thread where I predicted a 3-0 stuffing so fingers crossed)

Agree, we will get them......but over 2 legs? I reckon our boys might want it more.

Came over from Ireland for the 2010 game, with a Liverpool fan & a baggies fan, we got tickets for Ireland vs. England at Twickenham the day before but as of 1pm on the Sunday didnt have Cup final tickets, got ones eventually right at the top of the United end, had to be calmed down when Vidic wasn't sent off for my own safety. Was sick looking at the celebrations when we scored and couldn't join in.

Say what you what about destiny and all that malarky but I just feel certain we are going to win it this year, it's mad, but i think Chelsea are going to get beaten by Leeds tonight, and our name is on the cup.

I do get the feeling that our results in the cup this season suggest that our name may again be on the trophy this season.

The best game I have seen in this competition? Beating QPR 3-0 in the semi-final replay in 1977 with a Brian Little hat-trick and then beating Everton in the second replay of the final 3-2 at Old Trafford, turning over Manchester United 2-1 in our 1970 semi-final and that 1994 win against the same team 3-1 and singing "where's your treble gone" to them.

Great games and great memories from all of them but for me beating a Manchester United team who had lifted the European Cup 2 years earlier that contained George Best who had said, "I know we've still got to meet Aston Villa in the semi-final, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that, so far as I am concerned, we must be there already" as a third division club in front of 62,500 at Villa Park was the best of the bunch.

For me out of all those matches and great memories it has got to be the 1977 second replay against Everton at Old Trafford. What a team we had on those days. On the night Morty and Brian Little were magnificent. Mortimer is magic and Brian Little walks on water was ringing round the ground. On the train back to Brum it was packed with Villa fans signing non-stop. Happy days!

Came over from Ireland for the 2010 game, with a Liverpool fan & a baggies fan, we got tickets for Ireland vs. England at Twickenham the day before but as of 1pm on the Sunday didnt have Cup final tickets, got ones eventually right at the top of the United end, had to be calmed down when Vidic wasn't sent off for my own safety. Was sick looking at the celebrations when we scored and couldn't join in.

Shit refs we always get shit refs and Dowd has got to be the worst of the lot.

Why worry about Chelsea? Even in the deep dark depths of last season we scored 5 against them in the league. Villa Park is about as close to a bogey ground as Chelsea have. Would rather play them over 2 legs than at Wembley, thats for sure