The League Cup

samjp26

Being as I see no thread regarding it, I thought to create one, seeing as its obviously a hot topic in most conversations on here at the minute.

I do remember us winning it, although cannot remember watching the game as I was only 7 years old at the time, in 1996. I still have that dark turquoise AST Computers away kit to boot, Yorke and Milosevic my favourite players.

Obviously we also came close in 2010 and I think this year, based on the teams that are left, we have a really good chance of going all the way.

I for one will definitely be down at Wembley for the final should we make it and I think as much as other teams may belittle it, it would be fantastic to get some new silverware in the cabinet to create some new heroes and bring back some glory.

What League Cup memories do you have? If we get into the final will you be going to Wembley? Do you think we'll win it this year? Are you bothered?

I was hoping for Chelsea win today as they would hopefully relax this week as a result. Either way they don't get back here until Tuesday and play Leeds on Wednesday I think. Leeds to win on pens after a gruelling 120 mins would be ideal. Would make us favourites for the League Cup and would really soften Chelsea up for next Sunday.

I've never seen us win anything (big) in my life time.

I was alive for the 94 cup and 96 cup but was far too young to experience it.

In 2010 I was heart broken. My first real experience of a cup final and we didn't win.

I really do hope we can go all the way this year.

I can vaguely remember 94 and 96, the 03/04 cup run, Angels goal v chelsea before throwing away our chance with a woeful performance in the semis at bolton, nearly turning it around at vp, playing them off the park with ten man after mcann got sent off for slapping one of there players, 2010 getting pissed when Owen equilised cus there was only one winner after that, vidic shouldnt of been on the pitch. Getting knockwd out by a last minute deflection from zigic then being knocked out by boltons reserves. Id love too see us win this.

Very fond memories of the 96 win. My cousin was Leeds fan, and we had been ribbing each other for weeks before the game.

Day of the match came, me and mum got all the villa shirts and scarfs and programmes out, basically adorning the whole living room in anything claret and blue.

Such was my excitement at Taylors goal, that I lept up, and scratched my face, just above the eyebrow. Very odd.

It was only the previous season I really got in to football, and the villa - I don't have any recollection of the 94 win, for example.

Watched '94 on my 14 inch portable. Was at Wembley in 96 but despite being 12 years old I can't remember an awful lot.

The semi against Blackburn in 2010 was the one that brings back the fondest memories. Taking part in the pitch "invasion", topless (as I didn't quite have the balls to go full skin as promised, nobody complained), running up towards the jubilant Holte End on the famed turf singing my lungs out. What an experience, I'll never forget it. There's a pic of me and my sister on the pitch on the mantle piece, never fails to make me smile. Happy days....

Was lucky enough to be at Wembley for 94 and 96 despite only being 8 and 10 at the time! Don't remember much more than the goals going in. And also nearly missing the first goals in both game as nature called! 2010 was great, went with a big group of mates and made a weekend out of it. Gutted to lose but kind of expected it. Would love another final there. For me there's no better day than going to Wembley to watch your team. It makes you so proud you want everyone to know where you're going! It passes me right off when we limp out of a cup competition. Like it or not, this cup is most teams best chance of silverware.

1975 1-0 against Norwich.........still can't believe he got the rebound. Went for some chips in a back street after and got legged by that mad Millwall lot wearing surgical masks. Held onto me chips though lol.

1977. 2 replays and I was on early shifts both times......nearly killed me. Missed Chris Nichols belter at Old Trafford because he was out of my line of sight when he hit it.

1994. Probably the most satisfying Cup win of the lot. It was a very good Utd team, but we totally outplayed them.

1996 TBF Leeds were never at the races after 45mins,but for some reason I only remember it in sort of alcoholic flashbacks. Very predictable outcome by all accounts :blush:

I do get the feeling that our results in the cup this season suggest that our name may again be on the trophy this season.

The best game I have seen in this competition? Beating QPR 3-0 in the semi-final replay in 1977 with a Brian Little hat-trick and then beating Everton in the second replay of the final 3-2 at Old Trafford, turning over Manchester United 2-1 in our 1970 semi-final and that 1994 win against the same team 3-1 and singing "where's your treble gone" to them.

Great games and great memories from all of them but for me beating a Manchester United team who had lifted the European Cup 2 years earlier that contained George Best who had said, "I know we've still got to meet Aston Villa in the semi-final, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that, so far as I am concerned, we must be there already" as a third division club in front of 62,500 at Villa Park was the best of the bunch.

The very first game I remember seeing at Villa Park was the 2nd leg of the 1960-1 League Cup final. We won 3-0 against Rotherham to make it 3-2 on aggregate.

I've always had a soft spot for the League Cup ever since and I hope we really go for it in the semis this season.

I was weeks short of 7 when we won it 1994. I barely remember it but I think it's why I started supporting Villa.

I remember the 1996 final like it was yesterday. I'd only been to VP 2 or 3 times by then and I'd never seen us on TV before, it seemed magical. I celebrated each goal like crazy.

It might not be the most glamorous of trophies but I'd give anything for us to win it this season and I think we've got a great chance. I think I'd cry watching Petrov lift the trophy.