Playstation 4

hogso

playstation now subscription is $20 a month in yankland, for 100 PS3 games... would assume £15 a month here

going to put my cock on the block and say thats not going to work

That's what they passed on EA access for? :lol:

Sold my PS4 today. Just weren't using it and prefer the Xbox tbh.

But here's what i thought was good, and bad.

Good

Last Of Us - So glad I got to play that game. Think it's the only single player campaign I've completed since Heart of Darkness on the PS1.

Infamous - Graphics were stunning, couldn't get into the game though, but if more games come out with that level of graphics (will probably get better too in a few years) then some lovely looking games will be coming out.

BF4 - I'd say it's 5-10% better on PS4 than Xbox. More "blur" motion with movement, less frame rate drops on levolution. But there's really not a huge gap there tbh.

The size - Small and compact, nice shape, no external power brick

Bad

Noise - When the fans go on this box it makes a hell of a noise. To the point where I couldn't have it on it background when watching TV. Was too annoying.

Pads - Battery life on the pads were terrible. Probably last about a third of the Xbox pads

UI & messaging - Just could not get on with the UI at all, seemed way too basic. Messaging people seems to take ages for friends to receive them. Not sure what that's about. 

That's it really, not a lot of bad at all, Tis a great console and it will be interesting to see what games will look like in 3years on it. Sure lots of great games will be coming out soon, just nothing of interest to me really. 

Edited by PieFacE

I agree about the pads, but seeing as the PS4 will charge them in rest mode I always just plug them in when I'm not using it so they're always fully charged when I go to play.

Can't say I've noticed the noise thing.

The controller battery life is annoying for me mostly when I'm having a long gaming/Netflix/prime session before a night shift.

I've got into the habit of using the plug from my phone charger to charge the controller so I can be further away from my TV and still charge because its inevitable it will run out .

• Like 1

It's to be expected though really isn't it? 
With lights, speakers and touchpads in them now they're bound to suck a lot more power than the old ones.

But like I said above, plug them in when you're not playing and they'll always be fully charged when you come to play.

It might be to be fair, I just hadn't noticed.

But I'm used to an original PS3 and an Xbox 360 that had a RROD fixed by myself so was loud as a jet engine, so I'm probably just used to it :)

It's pretty mental that you can't turn the stupid battery sapping light bar off on the controller. If you are having issues with battery life and haven't already, go to settings are turn the light down to 'dim'.

I doubt the LED has as much of an impact on the battery as things like rumble, the touchpad and the speaker (which auto disables if you use the official PS4 headset, which is nice) but yeah, it would be useful to be able to turn it off.  Mine got turned down to dim on the day I bought the PS4 and it's not been adjusted since. 

It'd be less effective saving battery power than turning off vibration and turning the speaker volume down sure, but you kinda want those things (probably), but the light is almost completely pointless. My controller is set to turn off after 5 mins (I think - the lowest possible time) of inactivity too, as I do have a tendancy to pause a game, get up and do other stuff, and the controller would stay on otherwise.

As far as noise goes, I barely notice it's switched on.

The LED has minimal effect on the battery, given the nature of LED lights, but overall the charge on the DS4 is very poor. I have 2 of them and a charging cradle, so I just swap out when one gets low. Not everyone's got the cash to burn on spare controllers and a cradle for what amounts to one player use though. The XBO battery is streets ahead - even with the play and charge kit it lasts 4-5 times longer

Not everyone's got the cash to burn on spare controllers and a cradle for what amounts to one player use though. 

You don't need it though.

You just need a charging cable.

That's one of the big pluses of rest mode!

Yea, I just use a phone charger plugged into the wall behind my couch and happily sit on my couch and play without the need to ever have it plugged into the ps4.

I unplug it when I don't need it obviously and some people may not have that luxury of a plug next to wear they play, but it's a viable option for those who haven't tried it or knew about it.

Can't argue with much of that Pieface, the only thing id disagree on is the noise, this is the quietest console I've ever had I think, I got a white one in September though so maybe newer models have slightly different innards or are put together differently? Who knows, could just be pot luck.

Â