Jimzk5

45 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

They spent £35m in January on Matheus Cunha, then had to sell Nathan Collins in this window to pay for it. It’s bonkers how badly run they are at the moment.

The reports at the time was £44m for Cunha. No idea how accurate that was, but it was being stated as that figure.

In addition to that, since January it’s been Joao Gomes for £15m, Boubacar Traore and Lemina about £10m each. Sarabia and Dawson around £7.5m between them.

Cunha aside, not earth shattering amounts, but they add up. That’s close to £90m since Lopetegui has walked through the door.

All that on the back of last summer when they bought Nunes (£40m), Guedes (£27.5m), Kalajdzic (£15m), Hwang (£14m). Including them signing Collins, that took last summer to about £115m.

So assuming those figures are reasonably accurate, that’s an outlay of £200m in a year. 

For comparison purposes, I think we’re currently at about £65m for this summer’s dealings. Add the January window of Moreno and Duran, bumps it up to about £95m (so kinda similar figure to Wolves since Lopetegui as it happens). 

Add last summer’s transfers, Coutinho, Carlos, Olsen and Dendoncker takes us up to about £155m(ish). We’ve got to go back a further window and add Lucas Digne to get us closer to that £200m mark.

Ultimately one club has spent around £200m in the last 18 months and have qualified for Europe and looking to progress further. The other club has spent £200m in the last 12 months and there’s a debate whether they have enough to avoid a serious relegation battle.

I’m glad we’re the former.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Could see Vieira being in contention unless I've missed him taking another job since leaving Palace.

Recently took the Strasbourg job after their takeover by Todd Boehly's consortium.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Could see Vieira being in contention unless I've missed him taking another job since leaving Palace.

He will be sacked soon at Strasbourg when they discover he is useless

Edited by Zatman

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Gary O’Neil allegedly being lined up 😬

He did well at Bournemouth on a shoestring budget so might fit well with a similarly small club 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

A good assessment of where the the two clubs currently are on the field and how a couple of astute signings each season can push a team forward. The only thing that I would add to the above is that in the same period approximately £160m has been bought in through player sales with roughly £140m of that as being profit on player sales. Whilst that means nothing to on field capabilities it does at least mean that should the owners wish, there will be scope to spend in future seasons. A big if, but if the manager does stay, the squad now should survive fairly comfortably and with 2 or 3 decent additions it could possibly compete for a top ten finish.

With the exception of Digne and Coutinho, I'm impressed with the recruitment of Villa and you have a squad now that is capable of being around the European places for the next few seasons. There is a note of caution in that there will have to be sales of players in years to come to stick within the FFP rules although you have got plenty of sellable assets. I'm not saying that you'll have to sell to the extent that we have in stripping back the squad, but a decent sale per season will probably be required to stay within the rules and fund future purchases. With how you have recruited over the last couple of years and with the expertise you have in this area I don't see that as being a problem. Its why I don't understand the criticism there seems to be surrounding the sale of a player (A Ramsey) who isn't close to the first team as this will bring in pure profit which will be needed. 

Yes, after posting I did think that a big difference is that there have been the outgoings from Molinuex for not insignificant money. 

I assume that this revenue is the reason why some supporters are sceptical at the claim by Shi that FFP is the reason for lack of spending.

From the outside looking in, it seems a strange situation. I read that they’ve had Lopetegui in their sights for a number of years. So if the suspicion of some supporters that FFP isn’t as big an issue as being made out, it’s curious that they turn the taps off at this point. 

It’s not clear if they told Lopetegui “You can have £90m to spend in January. We’ll have to let Neves go, but we’ll back you with the proceeds.” Don’t know what was promised. 

There seems to be the thought that Lopetegui and his team are on a significant wedge. More money than they’d ever anywhere else and understandably they are reluctant to walk away. Meanwhile Wolves wouldn’t be willing to pay the required compensation.

Rock and a hard place.

• Like 1

Without going into too much detail, we lost £40m in the 2021/22 season and if those losses were repeated for last season and this one then I'd say that we'd fall foul of the rules. However a £40m loss for this season with an £80m profit on player sales would put the club well within the limits on a 3 year cycle. After the sales made, the lack of incoming players for fees now suggests that the problem seems to be more of a cashflow one rather than FFP. I think what has really changed is that the owners have now realised that to compete towards the top end of the table they will need to keep spending large amounts and that in reality the club doesn't have the turnover to keep within the rules in doing so. I suppose the only way of sustaining being up there would be to find/sell a superstar each year to carry on investing in the squad. Brighton and the next new Swansea/Stoke/Burnley/Leicester/Wolves will find that out that it doesn't take long for that bubble to burst.

Fosun do need the club to stay in the division to keep the asset at its current value so threw money at Lopetegui to keep us in the Premier League and may have been economical with the truth regarding future recruitment budgets. On this basis, I think it would be an easy decision for Lopetegui to walk away, but when his son and his coaching colleagues also have roles then it makes that decision a bit more complicated.

On 04/08/2023 at 22:11, DakotaVilla said:

They are definitely down this season. He’ll keep moaning until he’s sacked as otherwise he will lose his payoff.

I wouldn't say definitely.  Hard to see Luton and Sheff Utd staying up, mean there is only 1 space, they'd have to be really bad.

31 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I wouldn't say definitely.  Hard to see Luton and Sheff Utd staying up, mean there is only 1 space, they'd have to be really bad.

I think its going to be a very low points season for relegation and a high points season for top half just like Covid season.

Wolves, Everton, Burnley, Luton, Sheff United and Forest maybe throw in Palace and Fulham who have not strengthened or have got significantly weaker than last season

• Like 1

I do feel for the fans. Sold a pipe dream so Mendes could shift his clients on a whim. I do think a lot of the mind the gap is mostly yarns less banter now and just social media fodder. But Bruce manufactured a lot of this faux rivalry to shift attention away from his failings. Always really liked Molineux as a stadium also. I think we need strong teams in the West and East Midlands for the good that football geography brings given how much Manchester and London dominates. I do worry about Wolves moving forward with their current owners. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

Â