The Mayan Doomsday Prophecy

maqroll

Isn't there a theory that posits that the above traits were either evolutionarily advantageous, or byproducts of other evolutionarily advantageous traits, during our prehistoric past, hence their persistence today?

Yes, that is exactly where they came from, but just like living in trees and hunter/gathering it is something we should have moved on from.

I always thought their calender ended because they couldnt comprehend thinking this far into the future and so gave up on it

Well yeah, exactly.

They had to stop at some point. They couldn't just keep carving calendars for an infinite amount of time.

I thought it ended as they ran out of things to write on. Anyway, it's just a bit of fun for most sane people in the world. But I always wonder, what do the rest of the calendar say about what would happen? What it's all about? Except for ending at a random date making people go panic. And I really do believe that those people are very few, if any.

Yes, that is exactly where they came from, but just like living in trees and hunter/gathering it is something we should have moved on from.

Except that the hunter-gatherer lifestyle is a conscious choice. While superstition and obedience to authority requires conscious effort to eschew, they are also highly dependent on instinct, which I think is why people usually find it hard to de-convert from religion - human minds just aren't wired that way. In that sense, superstition etc etc is more similar to our desire to eat sugar, salt and fat - a vestige of our prehistoric past that was probably beneficial to us before, but harmful to us now, yet hard to overcome because of our evolution-honed instincts.

• Like 1

I thought it ended as they ran out of things to write on. Anyway, it's just a bit of fun for most sane people in the world. But I always wonder, what do the rest of the calendar say about what would happen? What it's all about? Except for ending at a random date making people go panic. And I really do believe that those people are very few, if any.

Just to be absolutely clear on this "end date"; the particular cycle of time called "Baktun", which is supposed to end on the 21st, is only one of 9. There are 3 cycles of time larger than Baktun in the calendar, so on that basis alone it can't be "the end". The Baktun cycle has ended many times previously without anything disasterous happening.

There is no archelolgical evidence available to the public to suggest that there is any doomsday scenario that the Mayans associated with this date, although there is some to suggest the date was significant, although the reason why is not known.

The only other sources of information are the prophesies and myths (verbal legends) of tribes who claim to be Mayan descendents. And most of the myths claim that there will be a change in consciouness generally and not the end of the planet or vast global catastrophies that wipes out most of the world's population. IF these tribes are right, then it's certainly not doomy but sounds like something positive.

Its the doomsday cults (mostly christian) and new agers who have latched on to the myths and calendar for their own fear mongering and/or money making ends.

• Like 1

Except that the hunter-gatherer lifestyle is a conscious choice. While superstition and obedience to authority requires conscious effort to eschew, they are also highly dependent on instinct, which I think is why people usually find it hard to de-convert from religion - human minds just aren't wired that way. In that sense, superstition etc etc is more similar to our desire to eat sugar, salt and fat - a vestige of our prehistoric past that was probably beneficial to us before, but harmful to us now, yet hard to overcome because of our evolution-honed instincts.

Hunter/gatherer was not a choice. It's almost certainly what caused the speciation of the homo genus from the other great apes. Adopting farming and forming larger societies was a choice though.

People find it hard to "de-convert" from religion because they have been indoctrinated to accept received wisdom since they were small children. Babies are atheist, it's a concious choice to brainwash them into a religion and that brainwashing leaves them open to believing all kinds of superstitious crap.

Just over a month now till the end of the world

how u going to spend your last month on planet Earth

At least we can't be relegated now

Lerner will be delighted, he won't have to spend anything in Jan

• 3 weeks later...
Â