The Mayan Doomsday Prophecy

maqroll

I thought the general held belief on the Mayan Doomsday Prophecy was that they actually just didn't bother to make a calendar beyond that date, as theres no evidence to suggest they thought the end was coming then.

True, there is no such thing as "the Mayan doomsday prophecy". One of the larger cycles of time within their calendar is generally accepted to end on 21st of December. Whilst there's much conjecture about what it could mean and also there is archeological references to the date, there's no evidence at all to suggest that it means the end of the world.

True, there is no such thing as "the Mayan doomsday prophecy". One of the larger cycles of time within their calendar is generally accepted to end on 21st of December. Whilst there's much conjecture about what it could mean and also there is archeological references to the date, there's no evidence at all to suggest that it means the end of the world.

Also worth nothing that most people wasting their time worrying about shit like this do so because they have nothing to do with their hollow, empty lives.

I'm looking forward to the next three months. A trip to New York on the horizon, an extended break over Christmas then snowboarding in Europe early in the new year. And no amount of paranoid bullshit is going to stop me enjoying all these things...

That's some bad manners. Anything else you want to get off your chest/dig yourself deeper?

Apologies, i was being facetious and referencing the relegation thread. No offence meant. Stupidly made the assumption that you may have seen it.

Why is this bollocks even talked about? Even if you concede that many ancient civilisations were more sophisticated and technologically advanced than they are given credit for, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO KNOW THE FUTURE. Grow the **** up, people.

• Like 1

Why is this bollocks even talked about? Even if you concede that many ancient civilisations were more sophisticated and technologically advanced than they are given credit for, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO KNOW THE FUTURE. Grow the **** up, people.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. It's something for people with too much spare time to waste time mulling over, and nothing more.

I always thought their calender ended because they couldnt comprehend thinking this far into the future and so gave up on it

But yeah, if we are all wrong then we are truly ****.........

doomed.gif

Well, it is possible to forecast when a hurricane or earthquake or any other kind of natural disaster will arrive.

We have a culture which accepts superstition, non-critical thinking and received wisdom from authority. Religion has a lot to answer for.

Isn't there a theory that posits that the above traits were either evolutionarily advantageous, or byproducts of other evolutionarily advantageous traits, during our prehistoric past, hence their persistence today?

Â