January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

As posted in the relegation thread, for me who we bring in, depends entirely on Lambert actually admitting to himself that he has made mistakes.

Unlike the teams around and indeed above us, we do have an embarrassment of riches up front yet Lambert has alienated one player while maybe expecting too much of the other.

Everyone on here knows i was wrong about Benteke's ability but i did say that he will need resting if we play him too much and stated that as a reason not to sell Bent.

At the moment Benteke is maybe showing the first signs of expectation weighing too heavily on him and maybe should be rested for a game or two but the problem is that Bent is now injured. It is therefore a pity that both were not played more together. Less expectation on Benteke with Bent playing beside him.

To do that Lambert needed to play with at least one, if not two wide men to supply the crosses both would thrive on.

So for me what we need in January is at least one if not two quality wingers, yet again one DM to protect the back four if we should play with wingers, one LB to cure our obvious weakness there and if Lambert isn't going to play Dunne again then, another quality experienced CB.

The problem is though that i do not feel Lambert will openly admit that he has made mistakes so if he persists with trying to play through the middle then we will need a DM, AM, LB and CB.

These threads always bring out Football Manager-esque suggestions, 'buy y, z and t for x amount'. Makes for hilarious reading.

The threads called 'January 2013 Transfer Talk' - quite what were you expecting people to be talking about ?

Maybe players we're actually being linked with?

Players we're linked with get their own thread. I've actually been told off for talking about players in this thread when they have their own thread! :D

For the 8th transfer window in a row what we really need is a new DM. And if by some magical twist of fate we're able too, i'll take Barry back as we have yet to replace him. He's still more than capable and will still be our best player imo.

Realistically, who else is going to have him?

Spurs - Nah can't see it, they have Sandro and he isn't really a AVB type sigining.

Liverpool - Not really Rodgers' M.O. and they have Allen and Leiva

Arsenal - Again, not the type of signing i'd expect them to make.

Newcastle - possibly, but again cant see it unless they are desperate if they lose Tiote, v. unlikely though.

Chelsea - No.

Everton - Possibly?

Sunderland - Most likely i can think of so far.

Think Barry and Westwood would make a decent partnership and them two, defensively minded players but who can pass would be great to protect the back four and spring attacks and let a new AM (still hoping, illogically for Aaron Hunt) run riot without having to worry too much about defensive duties.

-----Westwood---Barry------

Aubameyang-Hunt--NZogbia

--------------Benteke----------

would be pretty good, even better if we can get in a proper winger where NZogbia is there rather than a second *puts on FM Hat* Inside Forward opposite Aubameyang. One thing I liked about us under Houllier was that we had Young on one side ( a very direct player) and Downing, a much more traditional winger on the other side, it gave us variation and the ability to try different things against the fullbacks by swapping sides. Bent flourished with it and I can only imagine Weimann would do too.

Disclaimer: Yes I know Barry, Aubameyang and Hunt are all unlikely siginings.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Probably not no but we need somebody like him and it's rumoured he's about to be pushed out in a clearout at City ( a clearout that includes Milner and Lescott) and unlike the other two I can't see a wealth of clubs queuing up for Barry. Tbh all 3 would be superb for us - but obviously none of them will for obvious reasons.

just imagine...

Lowton-Vlaar-Lescott-Bennett

------------Barry

-----Westwood-Milner

-----------Ireland

-----Benteke-Weimann

Never mind..

Any transfers that look realistic popping up yet or just the potential Dale Stephens one?

We NEED two centre midfielders. Not particularly flashy, not particularly good, just experienced heads in there. Someone like Barry, Adam or Xabi Alonso.

This is the correct answer, has been for two seasons now. I had hoped KEA & Westwood would be good enough to help shoulder that load but they arent , at least yet, we need more.