January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

There seems to be a misconception amongst the football world that Randy Lerner doesn't spend. I just read we are the 5th highest spending team in the summer and the 3rd highest in the last 6 years. Unbelievable.

Just wanted to throw that in. Happy Christmas all.

I just read we are the 5th highest spending team in the summer and the 3rd highest in the last 6 years. Unbelievable.

Care to share where you read that? Because while I'm not disputing that you just read it, I am seriously disputing the accuracy of their maths.

According to the official Deloitte figures as published by the BBC in August we are the 7th biggest spenders since 2003 behind Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Man United, Spurs and Arsenal in that order.

I simply do not believe that our spending in the last 6 years has seen us rise to 3rd above some of those clubs.

Care to share where you read that? Because while I'm not disputing that you just read it, I am seriously disputing the accuracy of their maths.

According to the official Deloitte figures as published by the BBC in August we are the 7th biggest spenders since 2003 behind Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Man United, Spurs and Arsenal in that order.

I simply do not believe that our spending in the last 6 years has seen us rise to 3rd above some of those clubs.

It was in the telegraph. It implies we are the 4th Highest spenders but you're probably right about its inaccuracy.

........It has gone relatively unremarked that Villa spent £21.7million — the fifth highest in the Premier League in the summer — acquiring nine players in that shift of strategy. The spending means that only three clubs have actually spent more than them in the six years of Lerner’s ownership (not a statistic he will be proud of).

Paul, look to buy some older players please... the young lads have done us proud but it's obvious that we were never going to be consistent this season with an average age of 23 in our starting lineup.

Paul do not let one freak result alter the strategy or targets you have already worked on and targeted

I'm sure he won't let this one result affect his strategy too much but he's obviously going to learn about the strengths and weaknesses in the team every week and it's not like we've been playing amazingly and winning lots of games even before today's embarrassing display.

If his strategy is to predominantly buy young players from the lower leagues then I should hope he does change his approach because most of the posters on here knew that a young team would be highly inconsistent and so far they have been proved right. Hopefully Lambert is wise enough to roll with the punches and change his approach based on what he learns about the team every game. Being stubborn isn't going to help, that's for sure.

We're crying out for some more mature, more experienced and more consistent players in the team, anyone can see that.

We're crying out for quality.

Well I think that much is obvious, but right now I think we should be looking to get in a few quality older players than some younger players who have great potential to be quality.

You hear experts in football talking about it all the time, how a team needs a good balance of youth and experience. Right now we don't have that balance at all.